Some Stats I Like

Astrobot

Ryan Fitzpatrick is Top 4 in TD to INT ratio in the NFL with SF's Smith, GB's Rodgers, and DET's Matthew Stafford. source

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the least sacked QB with 3 sacks in 5 games, and the only QB with less than a sack a game. source

The Bills lead the NFL in INT's.

Jackson is #3 in the NFL with 480 yards rushing, behind McFadden and Adrian Peterson. He's tied for 2nd in the NFL in TD's with 5, and tied for 1st in the AFC with Benjarvus Green-Ellis (NEP*). source

Jackson is tied for 1st in the NFL with McFadden for runs of 20+ yards (7)

Scott Chandler and Tony Gonzalez are 2nd in the NFL to Gronkowski (NEP*) for TD's.

Dwan Edwards is 6th in the NFL among DE's in tackles. source

Nick Barnett is 2nd among ILB's in the NFL in tackles, now 1 tackle behind Desmond Bishop of GB. He's 2nd in passes defensed and tied for 1st in INT's. source

George Wilson is #1 in the NFL in tackles among SS's.

Byrd is #1 in the NFL in tackles among FS's. source

Bills (32.8) are 3rd in Points per Game to the Packers (34.6) and Patriots (33.0) in Points Per Game source

The Bills OL is tied for 1st in the NFL in Power Ranking to the Left AND to the Right (18th up the Middle). They are #2 in the NFL in Rushing TD's. They are 4th in Yards, 4th in Average Rush, and #1 in Sacks Allowed. source

Bills are 3rd in rushing average in the NFL (Eagles=1, Vikes-Raiders=2). source

Bills are 2nd in the NFL in rushing TD's to the Raiders. source

Bills are 3rd in the NFL in Percentage of Plays resulting in First Downs (but running QB's are 1 and 2--Vick's Eagles and Newton's Panthers). source

And with almost 1/3 of the season played these stats are legit. At the beginning of the year our schedule looked tough but now it looks like a 10 win schedule!!! Aww man I hate to get my hopes up but it's so hard not to!!!

I was talking to a DraftTek visitor today who reminded me that our schedule in December is winnable, with 3 of the 4 being home games. Don't bother going to the Buffalo Bills website for the Bills schedule; it's virtually unreadable (don't get me started on the Bills website). But my prediction of 8-8 might have to be revised upward. I say we'll go 3-1 in this stretch:

Wk13 Sun, Dec 4 Home vs Tennessee

Wk14 Sun, Dec 11 @ San Diego

Wk15 Sun, Dec 18 Home vs Miami

Wk16 Sat, Dec 24 Home vs Denver

The Bills OL is tied for 1st in the NFL in Power Ranking to the Left AND to the Right (18th up the Middle). They are #2 in the NFL in Rushing TD's. They are 4th in Yards, 4th in Average Rush, and #1 in Sacks Allowed. source

I didn't realize NFL.com kept these O-line stats.

The first column is the total career starts for the 5 starting offensive linemen.

The Bills have the 3rd youngest O-line in the league.

Thanks for posting, Astro.

The tackles stat is junk to follow. Unofficial and we give out more than any other team per qualifying play (run or completion ending in bounds). Just an FYI

Love the rest

This isn't the first time I've seen you make this claim and I have a couple questions about it, because quite frankly it seems ridiculous to me.

1) What is your source that we give out more tackles than any other team?

2) How is it even possible that we give out more tackles than any other team? If the play ends in bounds, someone had to tackle the guy. It seems to me every team in the league should credit one tackle per play ending in bounds. What am I missing here?

The ONLY stat is WINS over LOSSES

One could say that with the offensive pass extremes Fitz sucks. That said

you can't win deep if you can't run.

For the record... The Bills offense has been matched or outscored in tha past 2 games. 3 straight games with a pick 6 (7 points) I'm sure you can do the math.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the least sacked QB with 3 sacks in 5 games - A VERY good stat that doesn't lie.

George Wilson is #1 in the NFL in tackles among SS's.

Byrd is #1 in the NFL in tackles among FS's.

NOT good stats when the backfield is making tackles (unless they are near or on the LOS.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This isn't the first time I've seen you make this claim and I have a couple questions about it, because quite frankly it seems ridiculous to me.

1) What is your source that we give out more tackles than any other team?

2) How is it even possible that we give out more tackles than any other team? If the play ends in bounds, someone had to tackle the guy. It seems to me every team in the league should credit one tackle per play ending in bounds. What am I missing here?

I'll try and track down the link. Average teams give out like 1.2 and we give like 1.5 if I remember off hand. It doesn't strike you as odd that whether it fletcher, poz, Barnett, whitner or Wilson that for the better part of a decade whoever we trot out in the middle of the field leads the league or is top 3-4? This of course regardless of scheme as well.

I read a long article about it last year in regards to why the bills were good picks for fantasy football, as they credit more points than most teams per play, and because the run d/3rd downs were poor they averaged more plays too.

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks NOSaint. It looks like I wasn't taking into account that more than 1 player could be credited for a tackle on a given play. I always assumed the Bills high tackle totals were because our defense was on the field more than other teams. It seems like this stat could easily be standardized by only crediting 1 tackle per play and crediting half tackles if the ball carrier is brought down by more than one person, like they do for sacks. I wonder why they don't do this?

Thanks NOSaint. It looks like I wasn't taking into account that more than 1 player could be credited for a tackle on a given play. I always assumed the Bills high tackle totals were because our defense was on the field more than other teams. It seems like this stat could easily be standardized by only crediting 1 tackle per play and crediting half tackles if the ball carrier is brought down by more than one person, like they do for sacks. I wonder why they don't do this?

I don't know - honestly you'd think players would even be upset come contract time with junk stats like that.

What I do know is "leading the league in tackles" is a pretty meaningless stat even if standardized.... Without it standardized.... Not much value in the numbers

Here's a thread on here about the topic - it looks like football outsiders is a referenced source, and my numbers are slightly off but generally right

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/132342-barnett-vs-poz/

I'll gladly eat crow here.

In that thread, and before the season I thought Poz was better (though, not by a lot), and I think I've been proven wrong. If not purely with physical skill, what Barnett brings to the locker room.

Kudos to Nix and the FO, hopefully he can rub off on Shepherd. :)