My perspective from far way

bowery4

I watched today with a iffy stream so I may have missed a lot, I am not really that sure one way or another. That being said some views from here.

1. I thought we should come out on the first couple of drives going for some longer passes, it looked like one of the few Cinnci weaknesses going in and I thought it would work to open up the run game. Chan seemed to think so too and I think he tried sticking with it too long. What I learned today: Dink and dunk works for this team, make the other team take that away first.

2. Why pay Brad Smith and CJ if we can't get them into the gameplans, I thought we would have some imagination on offense. BS was working good in short yardage against other teams and they had film on it. So why not put him back there to do that but throw a short pass instead. Or hand Cory Mac the ball once in a blue moon, the guy is pure power. I could also see FJ and CJ in the backfield as a tandem, stop putting one in the wing back position when you have them both there and leave a team guessing who will get it, We need to pro set a bit more against 4/3 teams IMO. The 4 or 5 wide sets with short yardage isn't going to work against good coverage teams who can put pressure in Fitzys face, we need some alternatives. We need a good running game to have TOP in these games. Besides TOs we need to win that battle more.

3. Nate Clements was a good pick up for Cinnci, we maybe should of considered that, he is stout against the run and at least good still in coverage. Mc Kelvin just is not getting it done consistently. Brain Scott, hell of a game! And Byrd is the best tackler we have in the backfield.

4. The middle of the Oline was a bit weak against a good tandem of rushing ILBs, I actually thought there were too many pass attempts that took too long to develop though so in honesty in the pass game I thought they did all right. The running game not so much, but another thing about Chan here, why can't we try the outside a little when the middle isn't working? BTW Hairston played good from what I saw. Is the Bell experiment going to end if he is out a while?

5. I sit here and hope and pray the Merriman experiment works out but honestly (and it kind of kills me to say it) Kelsey is out playing him and is getting more contain and pressure. Shawn is an upgrade over what was there last year no doubt but I wonder when they run right at him and Edwards. Oh and I like Spenser Johnson better than Dwan this year, he seems much more hungry. A Davis is still better than people give him credit for too. Today at least, Barnett had trouble getting off blocks in the middle of the field too, Kyle too. That Cinnci Oline is stout and that really helps the rookie.

6. George Edwards; hmmm I like you George, loved the off-season watch the tape series you did on BB.com, sorta liked the game plans against the Pats* and Faders. But a rook QB, who played a bit like a rookie today and we didn't blitz or stunt much at all? I give you until the bye, if we don't improve (which we did as the season went on last year, I will give you some credit for that), don't forget Wanny could take your job.

7. The Tuck rule, Okay I understand the rule BUT I don't understand its purpose. I would expect it is there to stop the QB from getting hit after he has tucked it.

BUT it doesn't work, football is just too fast and instinct takes over on every application of the rule I have ever seen. The hit still happens no one pulls up and good defensive plays are cancelled, the qb could still be left laying injured on the ground = ineffective.

I think most people are against the rule because THAT. The judgement aspect of the rule aside.

Very poor game by the officials all around, in my biased opinion. Made up for the luck we had the last 2 weeks.

8. I think next week I have to find a new lucky tee-shirt.

9. We need our Dline to JUMP UP with the hands up more. Next week it is really important. If we can't pressure get your hands up damn it.

10. Fitz is as good as his line and apparently his gameplan. I fault Chan more than Fitz for the results today.

11. One game, we can come back from that and I am confident that we will :thumbsup: Still tops in the east.

Edited by bowery4

6. George Edwards; hmmm I like you George, loved the off-season watch the tape series you did on BB.com, sorta liked the game plans against the Pats* and Faders. But a rook QB, who played a bit like a rookie today and we didn't blitz or stunt much at all? I give you until the bye, if we don't improve (which we did as the season went on last year, I will give you some credit for that), don't forget Wanny could take your job.

You are one of the few who do like George. After his wretched run defense last season and the acquisition of Wannstedt during the off season, I thought it would be a foregone conclusion that Dave would take over the defense. For some unknown reason(s), Edwards is still the DC.

Rookie QB Andy Dalton, in only his 4th NFL start, looked like the 2nd coming of Ken Anderson with 298 yards in the air, a rushing TD and a 1st down run that kept Cinci in the game. George's defense gave up 171 rushing yards. George's defensive game plan, if there actually WAS one, is indefensible. Was Wannstedt brought in to fix the D, or to just sit there and watch George continue to be an embarrassment?

5. I sit here and hope and pray the Merriman experiment works out but honestly (and it kind of kills me to say it) Kelsey is out playing him and is getting more contain and pressure. Shawn is an upgrade over what was there last year no doubt but I wonder when they run right at him and Edwards. Oh and I like Spenser Johnson better than Dwan this year, he seems much more hungry. A Davis is still better than people give him credit for too. Today at least, Barnett had trouble getting off blocks in the middle of the field too, Kyle too. That Cinnci Oline is stout and that really helps the rookie.

I'm with you on this. I think we are hoping that Merriman gets back somewhere close to his former self, but so far, not so much.

I think its time to get Moats and Batton on the field, both have shown glimpses of promise, and I think its time to see what they can really do. Can it be any worse then the veteran guys in front of them?

I watched today with a iffy stream so I may have missed a lot, I am not really that sure one way or another. That being said some views from here.

1. I thought we should come out on the first couple of drives going for some longer passes, it looked like one of the few Cinnci weaknesses going in and I thought it would work to open up the run game. Chan seemed to think so too and I think he tried sticking with it too long. What I learned today: Dink and dunk works for this team, make the other team take that away first.

That was my take as well. There is this early pattern: run (3-4 yds), short pass (5-6 yds), deep pass (FAIL), PUNT.

One thing is sure we're unlikely to know whose idea that was, because neither Chan nor Fitz is likely to throw the other one under the bus.

We really didn't shoot ourselves in the foot too much yesterday - few dumb penalties early on, no INTs or fumbles.

We still couldn't get it going on offense, except this time it lasted into the 2nd half. Yet some stuff was working on offense. And there is no solution for Maualaga squirting into the backfield but "try again guys?"

C'mon (Chan the) man.

I'm with you on this. I think we are hoping that Merriman gets back somewhere close to his former self, but so far, not so much.

I think its time to get Moats and Batton on the field, both have shown glimpses of promise, and I think its time to see what they can really do. Can it be any worse then the veteran guys in front of them?

Ah....yes, of course they could. Was this a trick question? Did you watch the preseason at all?

You are one of the few who do like George. After his wretched run defense last season and the acquisition of Wannstedt during the off season, I thought it would be a foregone conclusion that Dave would take over the defense. For some unknown reason(s), Edwards is still the DC.

Rookie QB Andy Dalton, in only his 4th NFL start, looked like the 2nd coming of Ken Anderson with 298 yards in the air, a rushing TD and a 1st down run that kept Cinci in the game. George's defense gave up 171 rushing yards. George's defensive game plan, if there actually WAS one, is indefensible. Was Wannstedt brought in to fix the D, or to just sit there and watch George continue to be an embarrassment?

I kind of think Wanny is the back up plan, and George is a likable guy, I was kind of referring to his personality a lot more than his coaching (at least in the series of play reviews that they had on BB.com).

Batton is a special teams beast and I liked him in preseason, I love his aggressiveness. I would like him and Moat in there to spell players more and get better looks at them.

I think with the pass rush it's not whose the best pass rushing olb it is the one with the most potential that should start so we can build that certain player into a dominant olb

Also get Spencer Johnson in, he has been playing well

I think Spencer is playing well too D. Edwards not so much, too bad too I liked the signing a lot but I just don't see him doing anything good.

Edited by bowery4