(LAMP)Buying CD's for my 2 oldest poojers

The Poojer

I never forced music on my son, but I couldn't believe when him and his friend were buying cd's once and asked me what the best AC/DC cd was. They also listen to Rush, Pink Floyd, and many others, I almost fell out of my chair when he asked about the best Fleetwood Mac cd.

13 & 14 and not really in to music, but they are getting discmans for christmas, so i want to start them on their musical journey correctly.  so i am trying to come up with the quintessential cd's to start with.  so far i have come up with "sgt. pepper" and "dark side".  i am having a hard time coming up with the other 2.  anyone have any suggestions.  remember i am looking for the quintessential rock and roll lps, not just some obscure band that 4 or 5 people think are breasts!  classic rock lps that have withstood the test of time.  thanks in advance

171592[/snapback]

Sweets greatest hits. Nothing like a Ballroom blitz

No matter how "cool" and "hip" you think you are, your teenage kids will look at you as an "old fart" who is "square" and whose ideas and tastes are "out of date".

Always has been. Always will be.

I personally think Sgt. Peppers is a good choice. Emo would be pretty conforming for a 13 or 14 year old kid. If you want a classic, Taking Back Sunday does not fall in to that category. If you want classic emo, I would recommend Weezer's Pinkerton, but you don't really want emo. Here are some good timeless classic rock albums:

Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street"

Beatles "Revolver"

Led Zeppelin I-IV

The Ramones are also a good choice.

wwell, i'd say "are you experienced" by Jimi

but if you wanna go with a greatest hits CD that really got me into hendrix for the first time, i got "Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Experience"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Also the led zeppeling boxed set or LZ I, II or IV, 4 is a good one to start with.

TUPAC!!

Do you have any idea how bad there gonna be made fun off for listening to old rock by friends in school and out?

This is a recipe for a beating ... a beating I tell ya!

171632[/snapback]

No it's not.

Half of the folks I went to school with were into music like this. It was cooler to be into something that was "original" than to rock to the latest ghetto noise or Nirvana screech.

There were a lot of kids, usually 14 and up, into The Beetles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, The Dead, the list goes on and on.

While I completely disagree that it's a recipe for a beating, I do think it's important to let them form their own tastes. Give 'em gift certifications for CD's, or take 'em to the store yourself. But make sure you show 'em your collection too - let them like it on their own.

-Jeff

I do think it's important to let them form their own tastes. Give 'em gift certifications for CD's, or take 'em to the store yourself. But make sure you show 'em your collection too - let them like it on their own.

Excellent advice. Let them choose but be there to check the content before they buy.

I still say that if you're looking for street cred you go with the Ramones.  Poojer's kids are way too young for Tupac, and Emo (shudder) will be way over their heads.  I agree, Pink Floyd will get them beaten down, as will any "classic" rock.

171707[/snapback]

But it will get them plenty of jobs running the sound board at live events. :o

can't go wrong with these:

Ramones won't hurt 'em a bit (my choice, the first, self-titled record).

Nirvana's Nevermind -- good if you're not too much the puritan

Clash: London Calling -- so many excellent styles and great music, one of my faves and a classic

J. Coli is right, and regarding the classic punk you can show them that Blink 182 has some roots, but the roots are oh-so-much-better.

they are all classic enough that you're not trying to seem hip but rather giving them something both essential and edgy.

Or you could go leftfield and try these:

Fela Kuti -- king of Afrobeat, basically Nigeria's version of James Brown. Fantastic, moving and soulful, but not ever cheesy.

Arcade Fire: Funeral -- these guys will be stars in two-three years. The indie community already loves them. emotional, a little weird, but rockin'.

Death Cab for Cutie -- getting a little too commercial in my opinion, but if your kids would be into some good riffs and relatively sensative lyrics (the 18-20 year olds are real into them) it's a good start.

Madvillain: Madvillainy -- all sorts of street cred, not so much of the negativity and violence usually found in hip-hop, some explicit lyrics but nothing worse than they're hearing in the lockerroom at 14. Same thing with the Roots, if you went with "Things Fall Apart" or "Phrenology." Ditto Mos Def's latest, "New Danger."

You couldn't go wrong with any of these.