Brian Moorman

Rockinon

I noticed Moorman was booting the ball deep into the endzone. He normally puts it inside the 10 and at first I thought he was just off. He consistently dropped the ball into the endzone though. Is this the coaches? Is Moorman padding his stats because none of those boots were less than 50 yards and I think a couple were over 60yds? Do the coaches think defensively we are better off defending from the 20 rather than covering punts?

I can only suspect/hope that they were designed "safe" kicks. IIRC, the only one when the game was in doubt was like a 65 yder. That nets to 45 so it's a good kick. After that, although a 55 yd touchback isn't a good result, again, it's the safe & easy thing to do.

I noticed Moorman was booting the ball deep into the endzone. He normally puts it inside the 10 and at first I thought he was just off. He consistently dropped the ball into the endzone though. Is this the coaches? Is Moorman padding his stats because none of those boots were less than 50 yards and I think a couple were over 60yds? Do the coaches think defensively we are better off defending from the 20 rather than covering punts?

Not the past couple of seasons and especially not last year.

The Chiefs' punter, Weatherford was available as an UFA and placed over 40 punts inside the 20 last year. Moorman had, iirc from responding in the Moorman thread during camp, ~ 15.

I didn't see much today to convince me that he hasn't lost the touch. It was a hell of a win and this may be down on the list of problems, but Moorman's production and placement is off. And as the season wears on and his leg gets tired, the problem will likely compound. Further on and in tighter games against better teams, it may cost us.

Again, Moorman consistently put the ball in the endzone, leading me to believe that this was by design and not because he was off. Is this the coaching telling him to do this or what?

With so many kids on ST, it was probably a decision to take a big runback out of the equation. With only one gunner near the ball on most punts, it seemed like they weren't going for pooches/coverage.

Again, Moorman consistently put the ball in the endzone, leading me to believe that this was by design and not because he was off. Is this the coaching telling him to do this or what?

True. They didn't exactly dribble into the endzone either. There was NO chance of downing any of them, IIRC. I heard Chan say that one of his primary concerns was ST because of the lack of reps (no OTAs) for the rookies and other players that were newly acquired.