Can sombody talk me through this Mr Cheapskate (me)

- I have direct tv....I have had the same dishes since I bought them over 10 years ago so they probably are not set up for HD......both of my Direct TV "boxes" inside the house are newer and might be set up for HD but I am not sure.

- What is the cheapest way for me to set up my living room for HDTV........I know that I need to set up a HDMI cable from the box to the TV itself

- What else needs to be done? Been a Directv customer for probably more then 15 years....dont have a contract as I bought all my original equipment.

- Not electronically inclined at all....so if I gotta replace the dish that makes me nervous.

- I have direct tv....I have had the same dishes since I bought them over 10 years ago so they probably are not set up for HD......both of my Direct TV "boxes" inside the house are newer and might be set up for HD but I am not sure.

- What is the cheapest way for me to set up my living room for HDTV........I know that I need to set up a HDMI cable from the box to the TV itself

- What else needs to be done? Been a Directv customer for probably more then 15 years....dont have a contract as I bought all my original equipment.

- Not electronically inclined at all....so if I gotta replace the dish that makes me nervous.

Your dish itself might not be set up for HD and probably isn't since it's that old. You really need to call direct tv, but if you do need a new dish they will probably will put you back under contract for a year or two. I'm not sure but I think the lines that run from your dish into your house are different for HD. They might have run the HD lines into your house when it was origianlly installed but I doubt they did if it was 10 years ago. Sounds like they will probably have to come out and set you up with a new dish and new lines into your home....kinda sucks but it's worth it. :thumbsup:

You'll need a new HD capable dish, and reciever. If the ocax is old they might want to run some new lines. There is no such thing as an HD line. If you've invested in the TV you sould do yourself a favor and upgrade the rest as well

You'll need a new HD capable dish, and reciever. If the ocax is old they might want to run some new lines. There is no such thing as an HD line. If you've invested in the TV you sould do yourself a favor and upgrade the rest as well

Yeah wasn't sure about the lines....there's your answer. :thumbsup:

Right. But they may need to run more lines. And at 10 years old, for co-axial cable, that's about 2/3 of its suggested lifetime.

If you're uncomfortable with touching that kind of stuff, then do call someone who knows what they're doing.

(BTW, the cheapest way would be to cut your cord and go antenna-only.)

Edited by UConn James

Once you have your DirecTv equipment upgraded, be sure to pick up an HDMI cable for connecting the Plasma TV to the receiver. I have a 42" plasma (720p) in my bedroom that's connected to a DirecTv HD-DVR. Very nice.

Monoprice is a good start.

I agree that you should contact DirecTV.. Since you've been a long-standing subscriber they may do the install of new Slimline dish and HD receivers for free. They did this for me last year (through Mover's Connect) when my family moved into our new home. There was an old DirecTv dish on the roof so the installer replaced it, ran the wiring and setup the receivers.

Edited by Champaign Mike

An update on this just in case anyone else might be thinking of the same thing

- Direct TV is going to come out and put up a new dish, new reciever for my living room for free

- Then I get 24 months of free HD service as long as I use auto bill pay

I had to sign a new contract for 2 years which I have not done in years.....but I dont plan on leaving DTV anyway so no big deal.

Doesnt get any cheaper then that....now I just gotta get a HDMI cord

<br />An update on this just in case anyone else might be thinking of the same thing<br /><br />- Direct TV is going to come out and put up a new dish, new reciever for my living room for free<br />- Then I get 24 months of free HD service as long as I use auto bill pay<br /><br />I had to sign a new contract for 2 years which I have not done in years.....but I dont plan on leaving DTV anyway so no big deal.<br /><br />Doesnt get any cheaper then that....now I just gotta get a HDMI cord<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The new HD receiver will come with an hdmi cable....don't go buy an expensive hdmi cable. Do a quick google search and you can find a million articles on why expensive cables are a total waste of money.