Roughing the Passer

You need to watch that play again, and turn the volume up. It was straight helmet to helmet, it was loud, you could hear it. What do you think knocked him out? It was also a little late, the ball was out of his hands. He was also going out of bounds. Again, I'm not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule...but that was a dirty hit. It was completely unnecessary and would have had no effect on the play.

Seriously - he absolutely led with his head - at a different angle you'd call it spearing. Not even close to being legal.

And yes - his teammates were major dirtballs for praising him. Every player who came up to praise him for that should also be fined. I don't like the babying of the league, but that hit on Jones has been totally illegal for years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right

I put that one squarely on what was some bad officiating that day....they should have thrown the hankie on Moore after ripping CJ's helmet off instead of just letting it go....then maybe Raheem doesnt lauch himself into Jones.....bring his helmet up under Donalds chinstrap and laying him out......

Bad officiating on Saturday

Timba....look where the safety's helmet is when they collide.....

I see where it is, and I just watched the replay from different angles about 20 times each. The guy led with his shoulder pads and despite that it was still helmet to helmet. If that's a decent throw and Jones doesn't have to jump, that's a 100% clean hit if the defender does exactly the same thing.

I can see where that one is a penalty, but it looks hard to avoid.

Seriously - he absolutely led with his head - at a different angle you'd call it spearing. Not even close to being legal.

And yes - his teammates were major dirtballs for praising him. Every player who came up to praise him for that should also be fined. I don't like the babying of the league, but that hit on Jones has been totally illegal for years.

I'm watching it now. He started to STAND UP when he hit him.

EDIT: Also, for Barbarian: http://i.imgur.com/Wau0k.jpg

I just found the Batten replay, and I take back what I said. Brady actually jumps into the air, and Batten brought him down the fastest way possible.

Edited by timba

I found the Donald Jones play around there. It was a huge hit, no denying it, but Jones was making a play for the ball, the defender didn't leave his feet and didn't put his head down. I can't say that he deserved a penalty there. I realize it was a play that took one of the Bills out but the only problem with the play was the Bronco's reaction afterwards.

Frankly it's a good example of how to have a clean hit that is still a big hit :/

EDIT: Just fast forwarded to the other angle replay. It does look like there is facemask to helmet contact. I can see where the penalty came from but I don't think it was intentional. I feel so anti-buffalo saying that but the defender was trying to lead with his shoulder.

I'm talking about Batten, the Jones hit was a couple minutes before Batten's roughing the passer which I think was with 15 seconds left in the second quarter.

I see where it is, and I just watched the replay from different angles about 20 times each. The guy led with his shoulder pads and despite that it was still helmet to helmet. If that's a decent throw and Jones doesn't have to jump, that's a 100% clean hit if the defender does exactly the same thing.

I can see where that one is a penalty, but it looks hard to avoid.

I'm watching it now. He started to STAND UP when he hit him.

EDIT: Also, for Barbarian: http://i.imgur.com/Wau0k.jpg

I just found the Batten replay, and I take back what I said. Brady actually jumps into the air, and Batten brought him down the fastest way possible.

Your welcome, sorry about the gay comment, I was just irritated with the Overprotection of the QBS and didn't want hear any support for it.

It was a poor call. You must have been elated when they didn't throw the flag on the other late hit on the QB.

You can't tackle the QB after he throws a pass period.

You need to watch that play again, and turn the volume up. It was straight helmet to helmet, it was loud, you could hear it.

I din't have the volume loud and I knew IMMEDIATELY it was a helmet to helmet hit.