Delivering on expectations

These were things promised for this season, or more likely things I was expecting from listening to pundits, message boards and team PR:

- A QB-crushing pass rush with Dareus and Merriman.

- A respectable, at least mediocre run defense with an improved front 7. Hey, we were last last year...can't get any worse.

- An already decent secondary, made only better with some depth during the draft.

- A less than average line because there were no upgrades in the offseason, but one that performed OK last season.

- An explosive kick/punt return team.

- An explosive offense with the mix of Gailey, two mobile QBs, a cadre of promising receivers and the emergence of Spiller, a once electrifying running back.

No one was predicting a run to the AFC championship. But I was expecting a respectable team that would be in contention for a Wildcard. I don't know who promised these things. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. Or my own faulty logic. But here's what we have so far:

- I do believe we will be crushing some QBs this season, assuming Merriman stays healthy. Promise delivered so far.

- Haven't seen much improvement yet on the run D, but I'm still hoping.

- Our secondary got torched...by Brady Quinn.

- Line is worse this year than less than average. It's pitiful. And dangerous for whoever is behind center.

- We can't be explosive on kickoff if we're taking knees in the endzone. Thanks "Competition" Committee.

- The only thing explosive about this offense is the diarrhea I got from mixing tequila, bourbon and Mexican lasagna after watching this pitiful offense play last night.

As usual, though, I will retain hope that Bills management knows what it's doing, is turning a leaf, and building a team that will be respectable once again.

I never felt our pass defense was as good as the ypg ranking. We do not have any elite members of the secondary and I would say only Byrd is above average,

but hopefully the young guys step up.

No diss toasted Georgie, I like him alot and he may be above average or great but need to see him start all year for starters

Trust me Justin, the only place you heard any talk about playoffs or a wildcard for the Bills this season is by some posters here. No one else would think that, much less promise that. Not even Chix.

That's incorrect sir.

So, basically, drawing from some of the comments, it seems as if we shouldn't draw any conclusions from the wretched Denver preseason game. And we shouldn't have any hope for any possibility of making a Wildcard. In other words, we won't be bad enough for a first or second round pick next year or remotely good enough to be in contention for a playoff berth.

Sounds exciting!

I prefer extremes. And by extreme with the Bills, I mean the worst to slightly above average making the last seed of the playoffs.

Go Bills!

I never felt our pass defense was as good as the ypg ranking. We do not have any elite members of the secondary and I would say only Byrd is above average,

but hopefully the young guys step up.

No diss toasted Georgie, I like him alot and he may be above average or great but need to see him start all year for starters

I agree. The ypg were low because the other teams ran all day on the league's worst run defense. The opposition threw against the Bills only 473 times all season, the 2nd lowest number of attempts against in the league, and they were run on 571 times, the most of any team in the league by a pretty substantial amount.

If you look at other pass defense statistics you can see that the Bills aren't that great. Opposing QB's had a collective passer rating of 92.6, 5th highest in the league. The defense allowed a TD on 5.9% of the passes thrown against them, 4th highest in the league, and they gave up 28 TD, 7th most in the league. They had only 11 INT, 4th fewest in the league, and they only intercepted 2.3% of the passes thrown against them, tied for 6th lowest in the league.

It's all here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/opp.htm

The Bills' pass defense is ok, but not elite.