Preseason football...

It is completely hilarious how much NFL fans and analysts on various sports networks just totally blow the preseason into something it totally isn't. I'll give you an example: In the Bills game last night, Shawn Merriman had back to back sacks on Chicago's suddenly "inept" offensive line. So the old Shawn Merriman is back, right?-More on that later. WGR's Paul Hamilton has an article on the station's web site that the Bills' offense, in so many words...Stinks! That the Lee Evans trade was the biggest, most disasterous mistake since hiring Tom Donahoe as the general manager. And Donald Jones as Evans' replacement is completely ridiculous. On the flip side, every side of Chicago, north side, south side, you name it, is ready to HANG Jay Cutler. Bears' fans are so bitter over the way Cutler left the playoff game last year that they can't get past the one thing that all NFL fans, sports-writers, sports-anchors, commentators and fantasy nerds should understand: The NFL preseason is completely, and utterly, a bona-fide scrimmage.

The final scores do not matter, no coach loses his job, no playoff spots are clinched, no Lombardi Trophies are won and, lastly, no team can be labled a trainwreck disaster of a team in the preseason...not even our "poor" Buffalo Bills. Listen, the early part of the football season, including the current preseason, is going to be about as attractive and smooth as Jamarcus Russell's waist line and stretch-marks. We are coming off a four-month lockout, a free-for-all, frenzy of free-agency, resulting in players having to crash course to learn playbooks.

Back to Shawn Merriman, the man had two sacks. Be happy with that! Print the pictures off NFL.com and frame them on your wall. Why? Because anybody who truly believes this man is going to be anywhere near as dominant as he was in his prime, you are catagorically DILLUSIONAL! I do believe Merriman can still make plays, but he isn't even going to be the best LB on this team, let alone a force in the leagus. I hope I'm wrong on that one...but I won't be.

I don't care that the Bills scored 3 points last night, maybe massive tools like Jerry Sullivan do, but I do not. I am happy with Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 7 of 9 passed for 44 yards and didn't get blindsided by Julius Peppers, I am happy that Tyler Thigpen only completed one pass and is well on his way to becoming the mistake I thought he'd be as an "big" off-season acquisition. The NFL preseason is strictly for evaluating talent, and determining a depth-chart and roster cuts. But, alas, I guess we all need to stomach the overblown criticisms of the media. Such is life...

There are a lot more things that do matter in preseason than you think.

What does matter is starters on starters early in the game & guys battling for the last 5 roster spots showing more than their competition.

If you really believe the whole game is meaningless, go back to when the O was struggling in preseason a couple of years ago and DIDN'T turn it around once the season started. Go back to 1987 when JP's regression was evident in preseason and carried on the rest of his career. Go back to the (numerous) years when we could tell the O-line was horrible in preseason.

Coaches have lost their jobs in preseason-remember the Bills, Bucs and Chiefs (Chan) all firing coordinators in preseason.

About the only thing that doesn't matter is the score-because any team can leave a higher level of player in the game longer and if your backup QB is starting caliber, you have a great chance of winning-regardless of your regular season talent level.

PS: How is signing an experienced backup QB familiar with the offensive philosophy a big mistake? :wallbash:

Edited by Albany,n.y.

What does matter is starters on starters early in the game & guys battling for the last 5 roster spots showing more than their competition.

If you really believe the whole game is meaningless, go back to when the O was struggling in preseason a couple of years ago and DIDN'T turn it around once the season started. Go back to 1987 when JP's regression was evident in preseason and carried on the rest of his career. Go back to the (numerous) years when we could tell the O-line was horrible in preseason.

Coaches have lost their jobs in preseason-remember the Bills, Bucs and Chiefs (Chan) all firing coordinators in preseason.

About the only thing that doesn't matter is the score-because any team can leave a higher level of player in the game longer and if your backup QB is starting caliber, you have a great chance of winning-regardless of your regular season talent level.

i was referring to head-coaching jobs, not coordinators.

Edited by TO4Prez2012

PS: How is signing an experienced backup QB familiar with the offensive philosophy a big mistake? :wallbash:

Its a big mistake because the Bills' haven't made the playoffs since 1999. Its a big mistake because we have been New England's B word since the '03 opener. Its a big mistake because Chan Gailey is extremely lucky to even have a head coaching job in this league and hasn't ever won as a head-coach. No, I'm not real crazy about Chan bringing his his starter from Kansas City from the year they finished last in their division. Just sayin, bro...

George Allen, John Rauch

Props on the internet research, dude. My bad... :/

When ever I hear pre-season I always think of that NFL commercial that they would play at the end of a season that would go through all the preseason predictions that went horribly wrong (Like at the end of last season they would have had two Vikings fans raving about how Bret Favre was going to lead them to a Super Bowl and such).

Well in one of those commercials there was a Raiders fan who said "Hell I know its pre-season but the Raiders are 4-0" The Raiders that year would go on to be a 4-12 team. Pre-season games don't count. Yeah its nice to look at individual performances (Which isn't a worthless thing to do) but you can't let pre-season get you too down or too high on your team.

Its a big mistake because the Bills' haven't made the playoffs since 1999. Its a big mistake because we have been New England's B word since the '03 opener. Its a big mistake because Chan Gailey is extremely lucky to even have a head coaching job in this league and hasn't ever won as a head-coach. No, I'm not real crazy about Chan bringing his his starter from Kansas City from the year they finished last in their division. Just sayin, bro...

They had to sign an experienced backup-Who else were they supposed to sign to back up Fitzpatrick? It's much better to sign a guy as a backup who knows your system than bring in some guy who doesn't with this season's lack of mini camps. How is the backup QB, the last guy as a coach you want to see in regular season games, going to help the team turn things around?

If Peyton Manning declared "I want to play in Buffalo" and the Bills chose to keep Fitzpatrick as the starter and signed Thigpen instead of Manning, that would be a big mistake. Signing the best backup available who knows your system, even if it's short term, isn't anywhere near a big mistake. There were pretty slim pickings for the Bills to choose when it came time to get an experienced backup.

Props on the internet research, dude. My bad... :/

No need for an internet search-I'm old enough to remember that stuff.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

To the OP. You don't think Merriman will be the best LB on the team? I think if he stays healthy he'll be one of the better players on the team. I don't think it's half way with him. I think he is either tearing it up or on IR. He isn't old, just injury prone. He dominated every play he was in last night. That's what you want to see from your dominate players preseason or not.

So you'd be happy to see Thigpen suck because you predicted it? I'm not one to tell people to find a new team to root for but that's crazy talk. You'd rather be right over the Bills having success? I think Maybin stinks like everyone else does and I say it. That being said I hope I'm wrong.

There is nothing more irritating than someone who gives their opinion or prediction as fact.

Here's to hoping you are wrong.

Edited by bills7834

It is completely hilarious how much NFL fans and analysts on various sports networks just totally blow the preseason into something it totally isn't. I'll give you an example: In the Bills game last night, Shawn Merriman had back to back sacks on Chicago's suddenly "inept" offensive line. So the old Shawn Merriman is back, right?-More on that later. WGR's Paul Hamilton has an article on the station's web site that the Bills' offense, in so many words...Stinks! That the Lee Evans trade was the biggest, most disasterous mistake since hiring Tom Donahoe as the general manager. And Donald Jones as Evans' replacement is completely ridiculous. On the flip side, every side of Chicago, north side, south side, you name it, is ready to HANG Jay Cutler. Bears' fans are so bitter over the way Cutler left the playoff game last year that they can't get past the one thing that all NFL fans, sports-writers, sports-anchors, commentators and fantasy nerds should understand: The NFL preseason is completely, and utterly, a bona-fide scrimmage.

The final scores do not matter, no coach loses his job, no playoff spots are clinched, no Lombardi Trophies are won and, lastly, no team can be labled a trainwreck disaster of a team in the preseason...not even our "poor" Buffalo Bills. Listen, the early part of the football season, including the current preseason, is going to be about as attractive and smooth as Jamarcus Russell's waist line and stretch-marks. We are coming off a four-month lockout, a free-for-all, frenzy of free-agency, resulting in players having to crash course to learn playbooks.

Back to Shawn Merriman, the man had two sacks. Be happy with that! Print the pictures off NFL.com and frame them on your wall. Why? Because anybody who truly believes this man is going to be anywhere near as dominant as he was in his prime, you are catagorically DILLUSIONAL! I do believe Merriman can still make plays, but he isn't even going to be the best LB on this team, let alone a force in the leagus. I hope I'm wrong on that one...but I won't be.

I don't care that the Bills scored 3 points last night, maybe massive tools like Jerry Sullivan do, but I do not. I am happy with Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 7 of 9 passed for 44 yards and didn't get blindsided by Julius Peppers, I am happy that Tyler Thigpen only completed one pass and is well on his way to becoming the mistake I thought he'd be as an "big" off-season acquisition. The NFL preseason is strictly for evaluating talent, and determining a depth-chart and roster cuts. But, alas, I guess we all need to stomach the overblown criticisms of the media. Such is life...

I think you're nuts. Sure, pre-season doesn't mean very much, and I'm sure those sacks were a residual effect of the Bears' offense's second drive of the season- I'll take that argument. But in order to exploit that line Merriman had to show a bit of athleticism and explosiveness to beat his one on ones and punish the quarterback. ...I didn't see the vaunted Bears' pass-rush get to Fitz in our first two drives with our HORRIBLE O-Line. Additionally, Merriman is the best OLB on this team, which means your dreams came true, and you are wrong. Being better than Kelsey doesn't take much more than average, and even average players will look like Merriman 2007 with Williams and Dareus up front.

I really thought your post was reasonable, because the rest of it seems to be well thought-out and more objective, but to say what you're saying about Merriman? I mean, that's just an unfounded opinion. An opinion which, as already stated, I think is nuts :)

Your post is seething with Jerry Sullivan-like negativity and condescending thoughts.