Lee Evans Poll

Billsrhody

Lee  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Was trading Lee Evans for a 4th round pick a good move?

• Yes
    • No
    • It would have been worth it if they had gotten more

Of course more than a fourth would have been great, but with the market for wide outs being what it's been recently, and with there being some debate (even here) about the real worth of Lee (i.e. Is he really a number one receiver, is he even number one on this team anymore, is he declining already, is it only cause of our quarterbacks his numbers are so bad the last few years, does he fit chan's offense?) I'm not too upset about getting at least something for him. Would have been worse if we just cut him and got nothing, like some of the rumors from last year suggested. If nothing else, Lee played the good solder for a poorly run franchise for most of his time here, I'm happy that they gave him the opportunity to play on a team with a really good shot at playoff success this year. I'll still root for lee, just as long as hes not playing against our bills.

Bottomline, we have other people who can do what LE did. Getting a 4th for him was OK. We would all like to see more, but it's hard to make the case he was worth more in light of what other receivers have been traded for lately.

Moreover, it gives him a chance to go to the play-offs and maybe a Super Bowl. Good for him.

So when was the best time to move Lee? I'm curious because you are on such a tear. After we cut and lose one of our young WRs?

PTR

If by young you mean unproven then yes. Those WRs are a dime a dozen (literally, look where the Bills found them). Lee is proven, his numbers over the past 2 years have been bad but so has the team. The team has been one of the worst teams in the league for 10 years, it's not a surprise to see his numbers decline.

But NO one trades for someone based on their numbers. They trade for them based on what their potential to THEIR franchise is. The fact that Lee is undervalued or under used on the Bills means nothing when it comes to getting value from him. To Baltimore, he's worth more than a 4th round pick. He provides them the best deep threat they've had (maybe ever) and also helps them compete with the Steelers and develop Flacco.

The time to trade is when the other guy is desperate. You don't throw Lee Evans away for nothing (which a low 4th round pick will be) when it costs you NOTHING to hold on to him until April and trade him then (or when a contender loses a WR to injury).

It's another terrible move by this front office which once again has shown it does not understand how to build a winning team.

And again, this has nothing to do with me wanting to keep Lee. I don't care if they trade him, it makes sense to move him so long as you're getting the highest possible value in return. They didn't. End of story.

If by young you mean unproven then yes. Those WRs are a dime a dozen (literally, look where the Bills found them). Lee is proven, his numbers over the past 2 years have been bad but so has the team. The team has been one of the worst teams in the league for 10 years, it's not a surprise to see his numbers decline.

But NO one trades for someone based on their numbers. They trade for them based on what their potential to THEIR franchise is. The fact that Lee is undervalued or under used on the Bills means nothing when it comes to getting value from him. To Baltimore, he's worth more than a 4th round pick. He provides them the best deep threat they've had (maybe ever) and also helps them compete with the Steelers and develop Flacco.

The time to trade is when the other guy is desperate. You don't throw Lee Evans away for nothing (which a low 4th round pick will be) when it costs you NOTHING to hold on to him until April and trade him then (or when a contender loses a WR to injury).

It's another terrible move by this front office which once again has shown it does not understand how to build a winning team.

And again, this has nothing to do with me wanting to keep Lee. I don't care if they trade him, it makes sense to move him so long as you're getting the highest possible value in return. They didn't. End of story.

Perhaps they felt that the value of being able to keep some of the young wideouts they have on this roster now was worth more than keeping Lee for trade bait down the road. I know it's all hypothetical now, but if Evans got hurt again this year, or had another down year, his value in April would be even less than it was now. Is it worth the risk for what, one round higher? Wideouts don't get high picks in trade anymore. I kinda think this trade, along with the roster bonus they just paid him, was a thank you to a player they felt was nearing the end and played a good guy for the franchise during this really poor decade.

Perhaps they felt that the value of being able to keep some of the young wideouts they have on this roster now was worth more than keeping Lee for trade bait down the road. I know it's all hypothetical now, but if Evans got hurt again this year, or had another down year, his value in April would be even less than it was now. Is it worth the risk for what, one round higher? Wideouts don't get high picks in trade anymore. I kinda think this trade, along with the roster bonus they just paid him, was a thank you to a player they felt was nearing the end and played a good guy for the franchise during this really poor decade.

While an awesome sentiment (and I mean that sincerely, I do not mean this as a slight towards you at all) -- if that's the reason they did this then the team is in far worse shape than even the biggest doom and gloomers think. This is not a popularity contest. It's about winning games now AND in the future.

I am new to the my focused fandom and am still learning. But i am still baffled by the timing of this. Just paid him the bonus didnt they? a parting gift? absolutely blow my mind. Some of you folks were at practice. Could Lee play football, was there something telling in his play? did he not want to run across the middle or hooks, whatever?

I think we should have waited and let him go next season if he did not perform much better. There has got to be more to this because the explanation seems is that Nix wanted to fill the roster with young guys and Lee was cool with that.

Lets hope we make the best of it and Lee has some good years in front of him and leave the coverage behind him.

I will admit , by all reports we might do well with what we have. Stevie's role sure just changed. No pressure though Kid!

I am a huge Evans fan, so this day sucks for me. I understand though, trades are part of the business. In my book, however, the Bills haven't done anything to warrant me trusting their judgment on anything, in a long time. I like Chan Gailey, not thrilled with Buddy Nix...they both pretty much say what they are thinking if you listen to what they say. IMO, Lee Evans was a goner somewhere late last season. He missed the last few games (his first if I recall) and it was said that he could have played after missing one game...but the Bills put him on IR. I guess Chan felt like he had seen enough...

Oh well, it wouldn't be Buffalo Bills football if they didn't pull the rug out from under us every now and again...go bills

It would have been nice to get more but was that even possible? I don't know. But if what I am hearing true, that Evans wanted out then good night now Lee Evans. Bitter and disgruntled is not what the team needs. A roster of (very skilled) professionals that want to play fot the Buffalo Bills is what the team needs. Evans was not that productive the last two seasons. I expected more of Evans when T.O. was on the field. Fix that offensive line and then let's see what the rest of the offense can do (Fitz, Spiller, etc.).

Do you have anything to back up the Evans was disgruntled? He was always a quiet player. Never got into all the media hype. I'd like to see a link or something to back this up!

While an awesome sentiment (and I mean that sincerely, I do not mean this as a slight towards you at all) -- if that's the reason they did this then the team is in far worse shape than even the biggest doom and gloomers think. This is not a popularity contest. It's about winning games now AND in the future.

I kinda addressed this same kinda comment in another thread, I need to be clearer. I don't think we did this just to be "the nice team.". I really think we did this cause we are really high on our young group of receivers, and felt that Evans wasn't a fit on this roster anymore. I kinda see this as maybe securing a fourth round pick and a roster spot for a young player they like instead of trying to fit Lee (square peg) into chan's offense (round hole). The bonus of not just cutting and embarrassing a respected team captain at the end of camp and giving him the opportunity to finish his career with a contender might actually play well in players minds across the league. As the dysfunctional franchise we've been, the way we treat players actually is kinda important as far as attracting players to small market buffalo in the future.