New Kickoff Location

No. In the past, the 3rd QB, which almost every team has, was only active if the first 2 QB's got injured (and if he entered before the 4th quarter, the 1st and 2nd QB couldn't re-enter the game). That rarely ever happened, meaning the 3rd QB was almost always inactive. The new rule is that the 3rd QB is active the entire game. So while not increasing the game day roster, it's increasing the number of active players.

Ok, gotcha & knew that. I still don't see how that affects the Bills going after him which is what BlueFire said (I think it had zero impact). I would seriously doubt that the Bills carry 3 qbs on the active roster unless they designate Smith as a QB. He'll be their package QB and emergency QB. If someone goes down for an extended time and the coaches don't have faith in Smith taking significant snaps then they will activate an extra QB.

How did the rule change influence the Bills to sign Smith?

Ok, gotcha & knew that. I still don't see how that affects the Bills going after him which is what BlueFire said (I think it had zero impact). I would seriously doubt that the Bills carry 3 qbs on the active roster unless they designate Smith as a QB. He'll be their package QB and emergency QB. If someone goes down for an extended time and the coaches don't have faith in Smith taking significant snaps then they will activate an extra QB.

How did the rule change influence the Bills to sign Smith?

BlueFire is saying with the rule change, the Bills planned on designating Smith as their 3rd QB, and since the 3rd QB is now always active on gamedays, he can be used all game long as a QB, WR, or RB, saving a roster spot at WR or RB.

While it seems wrong to argue against safety, kick returns are such an exciting and influential part of the game, this rule change really puts a damper on that aspect.

I know, right? The ST our 2004 (sole winning) season under Bobby April was insane, you couldn't go a game or two without McGee ripping off a long return.

Oh well, our ST has gone down the drain since Bobby left, if the rule had to be changed, better now than a few years ago.