Do fans really believe we can compete above .500 in 2011?

I felt that last year we were extremely competitive. While it's certainly not a valid assumption that things would have turned out better "had the ball bounced our way in those close games," it is valid to say that if those teams couldn't hold the ball by running for 200 yards every game, things may have been much better both in terms of wins and offensive performance. Sure the offense fizzled here and there, but they don't play in a vacuum, and the plain and simple reason we lost close games and lost some games by larger margins were largely in part to teams being able to run at will on us. So yeah, I ended last season saying, "We could be really good if we were healthy on offense and fixed our run defense" and if that happens this year, why not a winning season?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend towards optimism with this team, despite perpetual let-downs. I'm no dummy, though. Call me an optimistic realist.

Our D will be improved if it stays healthy. Something to consider in the health department. Last year we added two new strength and conditioning coaches. This year we replaced the turf. That was reportedly an issue with the injuries - so, lets hope we're now on our way to being ahead of the curve and to being a healthier team. So, yeah, the Defense will be better. It could be much better - and, I think it depends on how much influence Wanny has, and how much improved our D-Coordinator is.

Our offense could be pretty good, too. I really believe, though (realist here), that the lack of additions to the tackle position is positioning us to be one injury away from simply being incapable of affording our QB's enough time to pass. I just can't believe Nix is willing to gamble the season on the health of Bell.

So, if we stay healthy I believe we can win 8 games. With the worst kind of injuries, we could be looking at 3 or 4 wins, though.

Frankly, the only reason I can come up with for not addressing the tackle position is that Nix is willing to see us lose another year in order to get to where he wants to be long term, and that is a franchise QB. I can hear his southern voice saying, I don't look past our first game, etc. and that they're always looking to upgrade their team (except, apparently, at tackle - which is going to bring heat from everyone this year if he doesn't add someone, at least).

Amazing how these "how many games do you think the bills will win" threads play out...at some point people get labeled with various behavioral pathologies or their fandom gets questioned...

Ron Burgundy:"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

Champ Kind:"It jumped up a notch."

Ron Burgundy:"It did, didn't it?"

Brick Tamland:"Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart."

Ron Burgundy:"I saw that! Brick killed a guy! Did you throw a trident?"

Brick Tamland:"Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident"

i think they'll be better than last year. how much better remains to be seen.

enjoy!

We can. But we need a lot of luck.

1) no one on the offensive line can get injured. We lack serious quality and depth on the O-line. If someone goes down, big trouble for offense will ensue.

2) Fitz needs to repeat last years success. I don't think this will be a problem with Gailey.

3) WR's need to step up. We need another one to emerge besides Johnson. I think this happens. I like Donald Jones.

4) The biggest question of them all: Can the defense stop other teams from running on us, and converting 3rd downs. If this happens, even if 1-3 don't work out perfectly, I think we at least hit 500. We put up enough points to win a few more games last year that the defense blew. If the defense can improve, and the offense improves slightly (Spiller, time to step up!) we break .500 and make a wildcard run.