Overpay For Clabo And Whoever Best TE Is.....

Interesting, I was under the impression that Clabo was the top ranked OT. Being that he went to the Pro Bowl etc. Is this based on position (right vs left tackle)?

Free is a LT. Clabo a RT. Position makes a huge difference.

You miss my point. The GM of a football team should make personnel decisions based upon what he and his staff have evaluated, not the internet and call-in show rantings of fans looking for a big splash.

Do the fans occasionally have it right? Sure they do. But if any GM makes a decision PRIMARILY to please the fans, he already has one foot out the door.

I don't pretend to know more than these guys but some things are so freakin' obvious, it's pathetic. These moves would not be to please the fans for the sake of it, they would please the fans because the team would actually be better (what a concept)!

How about saving some money for a LB?

PTR

Good question. I assumed the Bills would go the veteran free agency route to replace Poz but I got to thinking… if it's not a good year for FA ILBs (and it's not), then it's probably best not to spend your money there.

Better to spend at a position which has a greater "supply" of players to help drive the price down.

For instance, the Bills signed Florence relatively cheaply (IMO). Cornerback was fairly deep in free agency this year so we paid him more than $2 million less per year than we would have paid Poz.

And cornerback (compared for instance, to safety) is a higher paid position than inside linebacker (compared for instance to rush backer). Inside backer is almost like fullback (compared to halfback), tight end (compared to wideout)… guard (compared to tackle)… a position of relatively lower pay.

And yet Poz broke the bank and Florence got a relatively modest deal. Re-signing Florence at the number we did was an excellent value. I wanted to keep Poz but at the price he went at, it would not have been money well-spent.

Interesting, I was under the impression that Clabo was the top ranked OT. Being that he went to the Pro Bowl etc. Is this based on position (right vs left tackle)?

Exactly right, Ghost.

We have a decent core of players. Why not bring in the obvious tackle, tight end, and ILB that we need and move on. There definitely is no shortage of guys out there. However, as time goes on there is going to be a lot of guys that become available. I have a hard time believing that we brought in Dave Wanstedt as an LB coach, and dont have some kind of plan at that position. This guy has basically never coached a bad defense so Im sure they have their eyes on someone later down the line. We are all getting antsy watching our money be spent on QBs and wide receivers, and understandably so.

Run your football team like you're trying to please the fans, and soon enough you'll be sitting with them.

Or run it to the complete dissatisfaction of the fans for 11 years and enjoy the view from the owners box.

Either way.

I find it interesting that Clabo went to the Pro Bowl as Jason Peters' replacement.

Maybe we'll draft a left handed QB and then he'll be "worth" the money that a LOT typically gets.