Californian's online purchases to be taxed

Beerball

I also despise taxes as they do have a negative effect on spending and growth not to mention my my desire to spend. Taxes are not popular especially new ones. I will spend less via the internet. Taxing internet sales will hurt companies like Amazon but not necessarily help California. California has been making cuts for a while now but revenues have taken a serious tumble in the last recession in large part because of the real estate corruption. Yes, corruption. Some believe that cuts are the only solution. A combination of cuts and taxes looks like the more probable approach. The deficit was $25-billion. The idea that unions are responsible for California's mess is incomplete. Californian's have passed a maddening number of propositions over the years that by law can not be cut. As for the right being left out of power, they seem to work the lower end of the super-majority fairly well. The right like the left needs to stop blaming each other and consider why neither is very popular in a state that every day increases the "no party" and "decline to state" categories of those who even bother to vote. The idea that the state has been raiding city and county coffers throughout the state is correct. This travesty has been going on for a while now. When California hurts, it stings. But when California prospers, life is good. We are impatiently waiting for the good part.

I think we paid like 200k for the software that gives us the tax rates for every city/county/state. Something like 10k a year for updates. It would probably be a bit more expensive for Amazon as they would fall into more categories. Why does everyone keep ignoring these are taxes already owed?

Texas billed Amazon for unpaid sales taxes totaling close to 270 million, for the period of December 2006 through December 2009...so that comes out to 90 million a year, for this state.

What sotware are u using? Where I was used software from vertex. Not sure the cost, but you need an advanced degree to understand all the tax scenarios across this great land of ours.

It appears that amazon is ignoring the new law, they were still showing California purchases with estimated sales tax of 0.00

I think we paid like 200k for the software that gives us the tax rates for every city/county/state. Something like 10k a year for updates. It would probably be a bit more expensive for Amazon as they would fall into more categories. Why does everyone keep ignoring these are taxes already owed?

What sotware are u using? Where I was used software from vertex. Not sure the cost, but you need an advanced degree to understand all the tax scenarios across this great land of ours.

It appears that amazon is ignoring the new law, they were still showing California purchases with estimated sales tax of 0.00

They're not ignoring the new law -- they simply fired all of the people who were part of their referral program that worked in California. The Supreme Court already ruled years ago that you don't have to collect sales tax if you don't have a physical presence in the state. All California did was lose roughly $150M-$200M in income tax from the various referral/advertising companies that were based in the state.

Yeah, I am all to familiar with the affiliate 'end around' but I thought amazon had nexus in California

apparently they don't have a physical presence...

They're not ignoring the new law -- they simply fired all of the people who were part of their referral program that worked in California. The Supreme Court already ruled years ago that you don't have to collect sales tax if you don't have a physical presence in the state. All California did was lose roughly $150M-$200M in income tax from the various referral/advertising companies that were based in the state.

Edited by The Poojer