Here's an oxymoron-or is it?

http://www.wmal.com/Article.asp?id=2225336

Resort-style swimming pools with fountains and heated spas, billiards rooms, granite counter tops, ceramic tile, indoor basketball courts, stainless steel appliances -- many Fairfax County taxpayers cannot afford such luxuries. But they are paying for these amenities for use by low-income residents who live in subsidized housing in affluent neighborhoods.

"They're a part of our rental program where we subsidize the rents for the individuals in the units, and we end up having to pick up the condo fees," supervisor Pat Herrity told 630 WMAL News.

Keeping properties occupied can keep the value of the surrounding properties from getting too depressed, thus maintaining property taxes. If done properly, it can be a net gain for a municipality.

Not that that's necessarily the case HERE...just that it's less black and white as your itsy bitsy leetle racist brain can comprehend.

Keeping properties occupied can keep the value of the surrounding properties from getting too depressed, thus maintaining property taxes. If done properly, it can be a net gain for a municipality.

Not that that's necessarily the case HERE...just that it's less black and white as your itsy bitsy leetle racist brain can comprehend.

This is in an affluent neighborhood, I don't think this is the case.

This is in an affluent neighborhood, I don't think this is the case.

In an affluent neighborhood, it's probably MORE the case, you retard. You think prices only go down, or go down more, in low-income housing?

Shut the !@#$ up, dumbass. Seriously. Learn something, anything, about real estate before you spout off next time.

In an affluent neighborhood, it's probably MORE the case, you retard. You think prices only go down, or go down more, in low-income housing?

No but you're the one making the claim that this benefits the taxpayers without offering any evidence.

No but you're the one making the claim that this benefits the taxpayers without offering any evidence.

No, I made the claim that IT COULD. It's called the subjunctive mood, used to deal with possibilities or hypotheticals, as opposed to the declarative mood, which is a statement of objective and demonstrable fact. For example:

"You could be a dumbass." A speculative declaration of a possibility. Or...

"You are a !@#$ing dumbass." A declaration of objective fact.

See the difference, !@#$wit?

No, I made the claim that IT COULD. It's called the subjunctive mood, used to deal with possibilities or hypotheticals, as opposed to the declarative mood, which is a statement of objective and demonstrable fact. For example:

"You could be a dumbass." A speculative declaration of a possibility. Or...

"You are a !@#$ing dumbass." A declaration of objective fact.

See the difference, !@#$wit?

Then come back to this discussion when you have something to offer other than just playing devil's advocate.

Herrity said Fairfax County should sell subsidized housing units located in affluent neighborhoods and stop paying the condo fees.

I'll speculate that these housing units are part of the housing glut and someone decided to put people into ownerless property instead of letting them sit and rot and become a financial burden on the community

Sho' don't look like no ghetto slum to me.

Cna we get some more facts in the story please, as memory serves that Fairfax county is no pauper land.

Oh, wait, maybe these are 80/20 housing units, where the 80% of the market renters are complaining about the 20% subsidized renters, even though without the tax break that the developer got for building that condo unit, the 80% wouldn't have had the building in the first place?

How about doing some real research and post real stories instead of spewing racist innuendo on this board, bigot?

Sho' don't look like no ghetto slum to me.

Cna we get some more facts in the story please, as memory serves that Fairfax county is no pauper land.

Oh, wait, maybe these are 80/20 housing units, where the 80% of the market renters are complaining about the 20% subsidized renters, even though without the tax break that the developer got for building that condo unit, the 80% wouldn't have had the building in the first place?

How about doing some real research and post real stories instead of spewing racist innuendo on this board, bigot?

So you're asking for "facts" and "research" while you just throw something out there with no evidence to back it up? Unlike you I actually have specific knowledge of this situation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/29/AR2007092901614.html

Hundreds of families living in housing subsidized by Fairfax County taxpayers exceed income caps designed to ensure that only the neediest receive assistance, a review of county records shows.

In the most extreme cases, Fairfax is underwriting rents for families making well into six figures: One household getting help makes more than $216,000 a year; another, $184,000. Dozens of others -- making $60,000, $70,000, $90,000 -- exceed eligibility caps. And they do so with the tacit approval of county housing administrators, who do little to encourage occupants to move on when their fortunes improve.

:lol: What specific knowledge do you have of Fairfax County real estate?

I know that the housing in question was not built with tax breaks and is not vacant housing being filled to prevent property value decreases. It's just your run of the mill liberal redistribution scheme.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/bulova-responds-to-herritys-attacks-on-fairfax-countys-luxury-affordable-housing/2011/06/29/AGrZngqH_blog.html

Sharon S. Bulova, the Democratic chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, has delivered a forceful counterstroke to criticism of the county’s affordable housing program as subsidized “luxury.”

“A critical strategy for providing affordable housing alternatives to residents is that these homes are integrated into the community and dispersed across Fairfax County. Doing so prevents the creation of pockets of poverty,” Bulova said in a statement issued Tuesday. “The concentration of poverty can perpetuate the causes of poverty, lead to higher crime rates and create unattractive, blighted and unsafe areas in Fairfax County.”

Sounds like social engineering to me.

I know that the housing in question was not built with tax breaks and is not vacant housing being filled to prevent property value decreases. It's just your run of the mill liberal redistribution scheme.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/bulova-responds-to-herritys-attacks-on-fairfax-countys-luxury-affordable-housing/2011/06/29/AGrZngqH_blog.html

Sounds like social engineering to me.

From your own link:

Teaming with private developers, who set aside a certain number of subsidized units in new, well-located and even desirable settings, is the best way to do it, she said.

What do you think she means by "teaming up?" It's a friggin tax incentive to induce the developer to build the units. The logical follow on question would be, "Would the county still be spending the tax dollars for affordable housing if not for these programs? If the answer is a very likely yes, then how would that money be spent and how effective would it be. Since you are apparently not a fan of social engineereing, but guessing would support eugenics, even you can admit that spending public money that created ghetto public housing units was not an answer, and that 80/20 buildings have actually been proven to be effective in reducing urban blight and eliminating ghettos.

But I know, it's no Xanadu that is Elma.

Uh, no you don't. :lol: You know what the Washington Post says. Specifically, the Post quoting a dingbat who implying that community service workers (police, fire, etc.) cause higher crime rates.

Tell ya what...why don't you look up the land records of the relevant properties quoted in the stories, and see what their history is. You know...actually learn something about the subject.