moving south might not be such a good idea

birdog1960

"The region where life expectancy is lowest, and in some places declining, begins in West Virginia, runs through the southern Appalachian Mountains and west through the Deep South into North Texas."

Great - this is where I have spent the majority of my adult life. I speculate it may be because of poor diet and less of a focus on an active lifestyle. I know here in Dallas people seem to just get bigger and bigger. Heat of the summer and the sprawl of the city may contribute. People do not walk anywhere especially June through September - you duck and hide in air conditioning.

I also fault doctors in this country - you go in with an issue and they spend 10 minutes with you before they hand youy a prescription. Its as if pills solve all problems. There is never mention of living lives that are too stressful, poor eating habits and lack of excercise.

"The region where life expectancy is lowest, and in some places declining, begins in West Virginia, runs through the southern Appalachian Mountains and west through the Deep South into North Texas."

Great - this is where I have spent the majority of my adult life. I speculate it may be because of poor diet and less of a focus on an active lifestyle. I know here in Dallas people seem to just get bigger and bigger. Heat of the summer and the sprawl of the city may contribute. People do not walk anywhere especially June through September - you duck and hide in air conditioning.

I also fault doctors in this country - you go in with an issue and they spend 10 minutes with you before they hand youy a prescription. Its as if pills solve all problems. There is never mention of living lives that are too stressful, poor eating habits and lack of excercise.

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tv program gives excellent insight

to poor eating habits and lack of excercise.

Luckily, I've found a Dr. that does stuff right. She had her PA have a long conversation with me about diet, exercise, all that good stuff, and I've made some lifestyle adjustments as a result (eating out less, cooking more at home, etc).

Luckily, I've found a Dr. that does stuff right. She had her PA have a long conversation with me about diet, exercise, all that good stuff, and I've made some lifestyle adjustments as a result (eating out less, cooking more at home, etc).

Thats great, because being fat and ugly, wearing your pants around your knees and smoking at RW stadium is not healthy for you.

It not fair. :nana:

i counsel patients on lifestyle issues all the time. medicare even recently started paying me for it in the elderly (before this year, it was uncompensated)...it's called a wellness exam. most private insurers cover them as well. i do them once a year on all patient who agree to them. can't say the success rate is impressively high for changing lifestyles but even small successes will improve outcomes and statistics like those cited.

the bigger issue that can be inferred from this study is that many of our expensive tests and procedures are not high value. we are paying way too much for noncompetitive results. the system is badly broken. i'll leave it at that or risk this getting moved to ppp.

This is also where the best "World's Dumbest" videos clips come from.

Thats great, because being fat and ugly, wearing your pants around your knees and smoking at RW stadium is not healthy for you.

It not fair. :nana:

Haha, mine was pretty much "stop eating out so much, all that fat will kill you in the long run no matter how high your metabolism is"

Edited by BlueFire