AMC Picks up second season of The Killing

/dev/null

I will not be watching. It started out with high hopes from me, and now it is so sluggish that I can't stand it. The last episode was the worst....Bill Simmons quoted his mother and it's my feelings, too "The only reason I'm still watching this is to find out who killed Rosie Larson"

BTW, if they follow the way the show is written, next week they'll say the show is not coming back and is being replaced by some other show.

I will not be watching. It started out with high hopes from me, and now it is so sluggish that I can't stand it. The last episode was the worst....Bill Simmons quoted his mother and it's my feelings, too "The only reason I'm still watching this is to find out who killed Rosie Larson"

BTW, if they follow the way the show is written, next week they'll say the show is not coming back and is being replaced by some other show.

It is being re-titled for season two: "The Killing: Red Herring, Seattle"...

I have to say, this show has been frustrating...I like the mood, and I don't mind the slow pace. I love the idea that the whole thing takes place over two weeks, but what is frustrating is that nearly every episode you think they have made some progress in the storyline, and then it is deflated in the opening sequence the following week.

The other thing I don't like, the slow pace of the show would be more palatable if it was painting a portrait of the tedium of a homicide case. But it seems like nearly every time they make any progress in the case, it is due to dumb luck, rather than good police work...maybe I am being too picky...I really hated the whole teacher storyline...it dragged on for weeks, and by the time it started, you knew it was going to end up the way it did, because they had already established the red-herring formula...

It is obviously going to be Richmond, one of his assistants, Gwen or Jammie, or, the guy that Richmond is running against.

The whole Orpheus, "do you ever wonder what it is like to drown" thing, along with the ending last week seem obvious that it will be him...but it won't, because they have, over and over again, made us think one thing, when it nevr pans out.

Gwen could be the jealous lover (too corny of a motive, IMO) and Jamie is painted as pretty ruthless and smarmy. I think he killed the girl, because he is being paid off by the incumbent, to make sure Richmond doesn't win the election...or, the incumbent himself had the girl killed...he was tracking Richmond (the photos at the end of last weeks episode), maybe gives the photos to Gwen, to give what will appear to be a motive for her to kill the girl...my money is on Jamie, who I have thought it was almost from the begining.

One thing I didn't bring up, there was a random scene, during the whole teacher fiasco, where for just about 3 seconds, out of nowhere, they flashed to the teacher's wife, holding a hammer, I think, sitting in the dark, crying or hyper-ventilating...they never really showed anything to explain that...another red herring?

In the original Europeon show, which I have only read about, not seen, the killer was Balko (the fathers' helper), but they insist the story has been changed for the American version, and will have a different result.

Edited by Buftex

I have to say, this show has been frustrating...I like the mood, and I don't mind the slow pace. I love the idea that the whole thing takes place over two weeks, but what is frustrating is that nearly every episode you think they have made some progress in the storyline, and then it is deflated in the opening sequence the following week.

The other thing I don't like, the slow pace of the show would be more palatable if it was painting a portrait of the tedium of a homicide case. But it seems like nearly every time they make any progress in the case, it is due to dumb luck, rather than good police work...maybe I am being too picky...I really hated the whole teacher storyline...it dragged on for weeks, and by the time it started, you knew it was going to end up the way it did, because they had already established the red-herring formula...

It is obviously going to be Richmond, one of his assistants, Gwen or Jammie, or, the guy that Richmond is running against.

The whole Orpheus, "do you ever wonder what it is like to drown" thing, along with the ending last week seem obvious that it will be him...but it won't, because they have, over and over again, made us think one thing, when it nevr pans out.

Gwen could be the jealous lover (too corny of a motive, IMO) and Jamie is painted as pretty ruthless and smarmy. I think he killed the girl, because he is being paid off by the incumbent, to make sure Richmond doesn't win the election...or, the incumbent himself had the girl killed...he was tracking Richmond (the photos at the end of last weeks episode), maybe gives the photos to Gwen, to give what will appear to be a motive for her to kill the girl...my money is on Jamie, who I have thought it was almost from the begining.

One thing I didn't bring up, there was a random scene, during the whole teacher fiasco, where for just about 3 seconds, out of nowhere, they flashed to the teacher's wife, holding a hammer, I think, sitting in the dark, crying or hyper-ventilating...they never really showed anything to explain that...another red herring?

In the original Europeon show, which I have only read about, not seen, the killer was Balko (the fathers' helper), but they insist the story has been changed for the American version, and will have a different result.

I'm not looking at your spoiler. I had forgot that an episode got recorded Sunday night, I was so involved with the Mavs and Clarence Clemons........So, now I'm only halfway thru that. When I said above that the last episode was horrible or whatever, I meant the one where Linden's son was missing. I guess I'm a bad person because when that other kid was found dead, I was hoping it was him, to at least make the episode get some excitement.

It was an entire waste. Had nothing to do with Rosie Larson. The kid is a punk, and there really aren't many likable characters on the whole show. Unlike some people I've read online, I do like Linden, though.

I'm not looking at your spoiler. I had forgot that an episode got recorded Sunday night, I was so involved with the Mavs and Clarence Clemons........So, now I'm only halfway thru that. When I said above that the last episode was horrible or whatever, I meant the one where Linden's son was missing. I guess I'm a bad person because when that other kid was found dead, I was hoping it was him, to at least make the episode get some excitement.

It was an entire waste. Had nothing to do with Rosie Larson. The kid is a punk, and there really aren't many likable characters on the whole show. Unlike some people I've read online, I do like Linden, though.

I like the two cops, and I think the guy who plays Rosies' father is really good...kind of like a chubbed out Springsteen.

After you see the newest episode, let me know what you think. I probably think about it way too much. My gf and I have our Sunday night shows...after the basketball game, had to turn to the second showing of "The Killing" ("her" show, which I don't hate), and then my show "Treme", which everyone seems to hate, but me...I love it...poetry on the small screen.

I like the two cops, and I think the guy who plays Rosies' father is really good...kind of like a chubbed out Springsteen.

After you see the newest episode, let me know what you think. I probably think about it way too much. My gf and I have our Sunday night shows...after the basketball game, had to turn to the second showing of "The Killing" ("her" show, which I don't hate), and then my show "Treme", which everyone seems to hate, but me...I love it...poetry on the small screen.

If I lived where it rained that much, I'd go on a killing spree. Seriously, it does not rain that much in Seattle!

The episode where they spend the entire hour looking for Jack was such a ham-handed way to develop Linden and Holder that should have been ongoing for the previous 10 episodes. I actually liked this past episode.

I guess Bennett Ahmed is still alive, otherwise Stan wouldn't have been given bail, right?

I think the killer is Gwen for either the reason Buftex gave (spurned lover), or perhaps something else. Rosie was a Beau Soleil girl and Richmond & Drexler probably had a few orgies with her or the other girls. Rosie was going to blackmail Richmond but Gwen found out and offed her. Just a guess.

We know that Jasper's dad was a Beau Soleil client because of the way Terry's face lit up when he came to the wake. I just rule him out because he wouldn't have access to Richmond's car (guessing he's a Republican).

The reason I think it's not Jamie or Richmond is that they seem too calculating to use a Richmond campaign car to entomb Rosie - she drowned, right?

I'll watch to the end. I'll probably even watch next season where it will be a new cast, set in Phoenix and everyone will mention "yeah, but it's a dry heat".

If I lived where it rained that much, I'd go on a killing spree. Seriously, it does not rain that much in Seattle!

The episode where they spend the entire hour looking for Jack was such a ham-handed way to develop Linden and Holder that should have been ongoing for the previous 10 episodes. I actually liked this past episode.

I guess Bennett Ahmed is still alive, otherwise Stan wouldn't have been given bail, right?

I think the killer is Gwen for either the reason Buftex gave (spurned lover), or perhaps something else. Rosie was a Beau Soleil girl and Richmond & Drexler probably had a few orgies with her or the other girls. Rosie was going to blackmail Richmond but Gwen found out and offed her. Just a guess.

We know that Jasper's dad was a Beau Soleil client because of the way Terry's face lit up when he came to the wake. I just rule him out because he wouldn't have access to Richmond's car (guessing he's a Republican).

The reason I think it's not Jamie or Richmond is that they seem too calculating to use a Richmond campaign car to entomb Rosie - she drowned, right?

I'll watch to the end. I'll probably even watch next season where it will be a new cast, set in Phoenix and everyone will mention "yeah, but it's a dry heat".

You know, I was in Seattle at the begining of April for a week and a half. It rained the first seven days for a good part of the day... but the last three days were great!

I guess I didn't catch the nuance (or didn't think it was relative at the time) at the wake scene. That adds something...

You know, I was in Seattle at the begining of April for a week and a half. It rained the first seven days for a good part of the day... but the last three days were great!

I guess I didn't catch the nuance (or didn't think it was relative at the time) at the wake scene. That adds something...

And I meant to comment on Treme. I really like that show. The music is fantastic. It's totally different from anything else in that I'm not looking for an ultimate ending. I love watching the characters move throughout their lives from week to week; so inter-connected. Hidalgo only is there because Sonny challenged the Houston bouncer to make a meaningful move in his life. Each character is so flawed, and yet they keep on moving... well except for Creighton. But that gives rise to Toni's & Sofia's struggles. It's rich and textured. Good TV.

"Sazerac? Who throws Sazerac?"

And I meant to comment on Treme. I really like that show. The music is fantastic. It's totally different from anything else in that I'm not looking for an ultimate ending. I love watching the characters move throughout their lives from week to week; so inter-connected. Hidalgo only is there because Sonny challenged the Houston bouncer to make a meaningful move in his life. Each character is so flawed, and yet they keep on moving... well except for Creighton. But that gives rise to Toni's & Sofia's struggles. It's rich and textured. Good TV.

I have been around musicians my whole life, and I can honestly say, I have never seen any dramatic portrayal of the lives of musicians (with few exceptions) in such an honest way...not superstar musicians, just working-class musicians who dedicate their lives to such an ephemeral endeavor. I realize, this show has a very narrow appeal, because most won't get all the references...but just the scene in the last episode, where Delmond and his father (Big Chief) are talking about Delmonds' new record...when Big Cheif says "I can play bass", Delmond replies "We already got Ron Carter"...Big Chief, not batting an eye says "Ron Carter? He's alright"...the look that Delmond gives his father is priceless...Ron Carter is maybe the greatest living jazz bass player...can't wait to see Big Chief and Ron Carter on the screen together next week, as the previews indicate.

Glad to see I am not the only one watching. I think too many people were expecting it to be like "The Wire" and got turned off pretty fast...I can't find anyone else who watches it. My sister gave up on it after the first season, just wasn't interested in season two. I can deal with small storylines, and meandering stories, the randomness, because that is how life is.

Speaking of Sonny, I like his storyline. During season one, he was, perhaps, the most unlikeable of all the characters, but he is becoming more redeeming, as he tries to kick junk. Liked the scene where he meets the little Asian hottie at the crawfish supply dock...maybe she reminds him a little of Annie T? The only storyline, this season, that is waring a little for me, is the chef in NY...I am not a "foodie", I suspect if I was, I would appreciate the nuances a little more...I just want her to move back to New Orleans already...the best thing to come out of it, is the chef meeting Delmond at the sports bar in NYC, to watch the Saints games.

Maybe, because the show is so sprawling, with a large ensemble cast, she gets overlooked, but I can't believe that Melissa Leo hasn't at least been nominated for her role as Toni Bernette...that woman is a terrific actress. It seems like they have a zillion awards shows now, how come no love for the acting on this show? The scene with her and the daughter, outside the juvenile court house really hit close to home, as my family is going through something similar right now...

As last season culminated with Katrina, I suspect this season will culminate with the Saints winning the Super Bowl.

I did finish the latest episode a couple nights ago. Damn, just when I figured I'll be totally done with this show after next week, they turn out a great episode like that, and possibly suck me in for next year!

LAME! Worse than I could have ever fathomed...count me out for season two! Even my GF, who is much less discriminating (IMHO) about what is good on tv, thought the "end" was terrible...I started having bad feelings about this show after about 4 or 5 episodes, but their red herring endings always lure you back for more...no more! I don't give a damn who killed Rosie Larson at this point...this is only a notch better than a Lifetime movie...a small notch. If Holder fabricated the photos, why? To implicate the politician? To short cut, and just solve the murder? I liked Holder, so I will presume it was the latter, even he was getting sick of this crummy story...utterly horrible writing, IMO. The show had some great qualities, and some great moments, but they are all undermined by what follows... with only one more episode of "Treme" "Breaking Bad" can't return soon enough, to wipe my memory clean of "The Killing":thumbdown:

Edited by Buftex

:cry: RIP Harley...

Edited by Buftex

I agree with your assessment totally, Buftex (I won't quote it to spare anyone the spoilers). I actually did give up 4 episodes in, and checked back in last week after reading about the plot in the interim. Well, after watching the finale, I'm glad I did not waste those other 8 or so hours watching these writers spin their wheels. I'll read about it on Wikipedia or something from now on, rather than drain anymore time trying to follow this garbage on TV. And yes-- Breaking Bad returns in under a month, and I cannot wait! I just finished rewatching season 3, and I forgot how intense those last 2 episodes were. I can't wait to see what happens now!

LAME! Worse than I could have ever fathomed...count me out for season two! Even my GF, who is much less discriminating (IMHO) about what is good on tv, thought the "end" was terrible...I started having bad feelings about this show after about 4 or 5 episodes, but their red herring endings always lure you back for more...no more! I don't give a damn who killed Rosie Larson at this point...this is only a notch better than a Lifetime movie...a small notch. If Holder fabricated the photos, why? To implicate the politician? To short cut, and just solve the murder? I liked Holder, so I will presume it was the latter, even he was getting sick of this crummy story...utterly horrible writing, IMO. The show had some great qualities, and some great moments, but they are all undermined by what follows... with only one more episode of "Treme" "Breaking Bad" can't return soon enough, to wipe my memory clean of "The Killing":thumbdown:

Alan Sepiwall agrees with your assessment. If the season ended with Linden getting on the plane, that would have been fine - but still left a lot of questions. But you knew that when her phone rang that it wasn't over. I'm not as angry as you, but still a bit miffed. How many times in season 2 are they going to tell me there's something on my shirt just to poke me in the nose?

Alan Sepiwall agrees with your assessment. If the season ended with Linden getting on the plane, that would have been fine - but still left a lot of questions. But you knew that when her phone rang that it wasn't over. I'm not as angry as you, but still a bit miffed. How many times in season 2 are they going to tell me there's something on my shirt just to poke me in the nose?

Agree with everything that review says... at least "Treme" was great this week...

SPOILER ALERT - I GUESS:

Holy crap - that sucked.....I've been avoiding this thread until I watched my DVR.

With the show almost over, I thought OK, this is satisfying. It got slow in the middle, but the last two episodes were really good.

Then, the ending - I'm really pissed. It's a total slap in the face to the viewers to not have a payoff.

I stopped watching 24 after the season in which Dennis Haybert lived thru some calamity. And, then right at the end of the last episode, somebody throws acid or something on him. This is the same type of show - 24 hours in one day or 13 straight days. You hang in because you think there is a payoff in the end. To end with a cliffhanger is galling.

From what I remember, Keifer was mad they did that to the fans, too, and they never did again. But, I was gone by then.