Chinese gain military foothold in Middle East.

- I don't spend much time here because most topics quickly devolve into elementary school name calling sessions. However, the handful of lucid posters here may be able to grasp and appreciate the significance of this latest development between China and Pakistan. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be...

http://weapons.technology.youngester.com/2011/05/chinese-naval-base-in-pakistan.html

This is truly a game changer.

Pakistan and China have finalized a strategic partnership that will allow the Pakistani strategic port of Gwadar to be utilized by China as China's first military base overseas. China has significant oil, gold, copper and other raw material interests in Pakistan. The Gwadar port will allow China to safeguard her interests in the Persian Gulf and will simultaneously allow China to supply its South-Eastern regions with vitally needed supplies. The port will host major oil refineries and Chinese naval assets.

Pakistan will receive a counter-weight to closer ties with the United States. The recent supposed Ossama Bin Laden raid that has opened the door for US, NATO and Indian military adventurism will be effectively closed. Simultaneously, Pakistan is believed to be receiving a major boost in military hardware including rushed deliveries of J-10B (known as FC-20s in Pakistani colors) and JF-17 fighters. Rumors have it that J-11Bs, a Chinese version of the famed Sukohoi Su-27 FLANKER fighter aircraft are also potentially part of the deal to bolster the Pakistan Navy (PN). The PN is also said to receive a significant number of Chinese naval assets including Type 054A based frigates and Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) capable submarines.

- I don't spend much time here because most topics quickly devolve into elementary school name calling sessions. However, the handful of lucid posters here may be able to grasp and appreciate the significance of this latest development between China and Pakistan. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be...

http://weapons.technology.youngester.com/2011/05/chinese-naval-base-in-pakistan.html

This is truly a game changer.

:lol:

Gwadar's such a strategic port the Pakistanis don't even use it. And Pakistan's been buying fighters from China for decades.

You're right...I grasp and appreciate the significance. There isn't any.

Gwadar's such a strategic port the Pakistanis don't even use it. And Pakistan's been buying fighters from China for decades.

What, are you !@#$ing stupid? The sand !@#$s are teaming up with the chinks...

Is this significant?

China has "warned in unequivocal terms that any attack on Pakistan would be construed as an attack on China", The News daily quoted diplomatic sources as saying.

The warning was formally conveyed by the Chinese foreign minister at last week's China-US strategic dialogue and economic talks in Washington, it said.

My link

I say good.

Maybe the ragheads (ie terrorists) will now accuse the Chi-Coms of starting a "crusade" and go after them for a change.

I doubt it. The Chinese dont have the pusssy foot rules of engagement that the US has. They dont want to !@#$ with the Chinese.

Edited by erynthered

Is this significant?

My link

Ok, so where's the Chinese fleet when US is regularly conducting military ops on Pakistani sovereign soil?

Or could this Sino-Pakistani alliance meant for India's ears and not US?

Maybe the significance is that people here may finally realize that global politics involve countries other than USA?

This collaboration obviously signals an end to the U.S. operating with impunity in the Middle East. It is also a clear indication of China's growing influence through economic and military development. It a developing superpower setting up shop near the planet's oil supply isn't significant to you, then I have overestimated your intelligence.

This collaboration obviously signals an end to the U.S. operating with impunity in the Middle East. It is also a clear indication of China's growing influence through economic and military development. It a developing superpower setting up shop near the planet's oil supply isn't significant to you, then I have overestimated your intelligence.

I would say it means the U.S. will be impeded in either trying a raid on Pakistan (to secure their nukes) or passing U.N. sanctions- and it buffers Pakistan from any direct U.S. sanctions. This will be a road block against the U.S. dominating central Asia and will probably restart the idea of pipelines going from Iran through Pakistan to China. The main problem as I see it is if U.S. Pakistan relations worsen then Pakistan could refuse to let supplies through to our troops in Afghanistan.

I would say it means the U.S. will be impeded in either trying a raid on Pakistan (to secure their nukes) or passing U.N. sanctions- and it buffers Pakistan from any direct U.S. sanctions. This will be a road block against the U.S. dominating central Asia and will probably restart the idea of pipelines going from Iran through Pakistan to China. The main problem as I see it is if U.S. Pakistan relations worsen then Pakistan could refuse to let supplies through to our troops in Afghanistan.

I may be rusty on my geography but how do you run a pipeline from Pakistan to China and avoid India?

You guys must be experts in laying pipe across tallest mountain ranges in the world.

I may be rusty on my geography but how do you run a pipeline from Pakistan to China and avoid India?

You guys must be experts in laying pipe across tallest mountain ranges in the world.

How can you not know that China and Pakistan share a 325mi long border- and even if you didn't know wouldn't you look it up? before you made a snarky comment.

How can you not know that China and Pakistan share a 325mi long border- and even if you didn't know wouldn't you look it up? before you made a snarky comment.

And exactly where is that border and who controls it?

Really? You misunderstood his post THIS badly?

The proposed pipeline would follow the Karakoram highway.

The proposed pipeline would follow the Karakoram highway.

From our friends at Wiki:

Since 2 p.m. January 4, 2010, the KKH has been closed in the Hunza Valley, eliminating through traffic to China except by small boat. A massive landslide 15 km upstream from Hunza's capital of Karimabad created the potentially unstable Attabad Lake which reached 22 km in length and over 100 meters in depth by the first week of June 2010 when it finally began flowing over the landslide dam. The lake displaced thousands and inundated over 20 km of the KKH including the 310 m long KKH bridge 4 km south of Gulmit.[10][11][12] The damage is expected to take up to two years to repair.[13]

Sounds like perfect terrain for a gas pipeline.