Rolling Stones fans! VCR alert!

Buftex

...Rolling Stone fans probably still only have VCR's because they are now in their 80's...but they probably cannot figure out how to program them to record because they're old and crazy...and they are not up late enough to watch it and probably are confused who Jimmy Fallon is, anyway...

:censored: local farms. :D

Buftex, I finally got to watch this, and I must say I was truly appalled seeing how old Keef looked. I really, REALLY hope his/their touring days are over

Ah..I still love the old geezer...still pretty funny guy...but it was a little weird, he has that sort of "old-man" shake to his head...I think they will tour again...I have been jamming out to a bunch of Keith bootlegs over the last few months. I must say, much as I love the Stones, their best days are way behind them...I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing what Keith did on his own...he isn't too proud (like Mick) to do the old kind of stuff, and the guy just loves music...I would love to hear him do a country album...

Ah..I still love the old geezer...still pretty funny guy...but it was a little weird, he has that sort of "old-man" shake to his head...I think they will tour again...I have been jamming out to a bunch of Keith bootlegs over the last few months. I must say, much as I love the Stones, their best days are way behind them...I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing what Keith did on his own...he isn't too proud (like Mick) to do the old kind of stuff, and the guy just loves music...I would love to hear him do a country album...

Maybe he could re-start the Winos, only move to keyboards like Dylan.

Not sure what you mean by that... :unsure: Saying Keith can't play guitar anymore?

Anyways, I have heard (think he even mentioned it on Fallon) that there is likely another Winos album in the works. Much as I love KR, the Winos albums are not too exciting. To me, they almost just sound like Stones throwaways, or demos, with Keith singing, instead of Mick. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you, just nothing real exciting. I have heard Keith bootleg stuff that is much more artistic, and, interesting.

Not sure what you mean by that... :unsure: Saying Keith can't play guitar anymore?

Anyways, I have heard (think he even mentioned it on Fallon) that there is likely another Winos album in the works. Much as I love KR, the Winos albums are not too exciting. To me, they almost just sound like Stones throwaways, or demos, with Keith singing, instead of Mick. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you, just nothing real exciting. I have heard Keith bootleg stuff that is much more artistic, and, interesting.

No, he can't play guitar anymore... his arthritis-ravaged hands are a mess, all he can do is pose.

I'm not a Winos fan either, I find the sound extremely boring. Loved, LOVED the New Barbarians though.:thumbsup:

Who on keyboards?

I saw the winos a couple of times. Keef solo cd's are killers.

No, he can't play guitar anymore... his arthritis-ravaged hands are a mess, all he can do is pose.

I'm not a Winos fan either, I find the sound extremely boring. Loved, LOVED the New Barbarians though.:thumbsup:

totally disagree.

I saw the winos a couple of times. Keef solo cd's are killers.

Rico is referring to the fact that Dylan has been playing keyboards, quite a bit, in his live shows.

As for the Winos, I saw them a couple of times too, and really enjoyed them...Keith Richards is my guy in rock n'roll. My point was, the albums are okay, but, some years later, I rarely find myself wanting to pull them out and listen to them. The songs, with a few exceptions, are pretty un-memorable. Seeing Keith live will always be a thrill!

Rico is referring to the fact that Dylan has been playing keyboards, quite a bit, in his live shows.

As for the Winos, I saw them a couple of times too, and really enjoyed them...Keith Richards is my guy in rock n'roll. My point was, the albums are okay, but, some years later, I rarely find myself wanting to pull them out and listen to them. The songs, with a few exceptions, are pretty un-memorable. Seeing Keith live will always be a thrill!

In my opinion they rock harder Keith's)than the recent stones stuff.

Keith was my hero, in the pre-Vegas era, back when he was still cool. But then he cleaned up & started grinning all the time... no more glare, no more attitude. :( Best solo thing he ever did BY FAR IMO is the Harder They Come/ Run Rudolph Run single. I can listen to The Harder They Come all day.

In my opinion they rock harder Keith's)than the recent stones stuff.

That's not really saying much though... Vegas Stones don't rock.

The only Stones-ian thing I still play from the Vegas Era is Mick's Wandering Spirit... now that rocks! Webster Hall show rocks too, too bad he didn't tour with that band.

Keith was my hero, in the pre-Vegas era, back when he was still cool. But then he cleaned up & started grinning all the time... no more glare, no more attitude. :( Best solo thing he ever did BY FAR IMO is the Harder They Come/ Run Rudolph Run single. I can listen to The Harder They Come all day.

That's not really saying much though... Vegas Stones don't rock.

The only Stones-ian thing I still play from the Vegas Era is Mick's Wandering Spirit... now that rocks! Webster Hall show rocks too, too bad he didn't tour with that band.

Wandering sprit is good, The last stones did have some good rockers, I stand corrected.

Take it so hard, whip it up, wicked as it seems, and 999 are strong keith rockers

Anyone read Keiths "Life" book? It rocks! Great read...I have probably read close to 25-30 Stones books over the years, and had kind of given up on the genre...but I had to read Keiths' book...it was an excellent read. Some really funny stuff.

My favorite story in the whole thing actually centered around Mick, growing further apart from the rest of the guys in the band, decides he is going to "hang with the boys" one night, after Keith's wedding to Patti Hanson. Mick and Keith are pretty blitzed, but Keith notes, Mick is trying a little too hard to be "one of the guys". He and Mick are hanging in Keiths hotel room, listening to music.

At around 4am. Mick starts saying "Where's Charlie? We gotta call him over here"...Keith says "Mick, its' 4 in the morning, you know Charlie isn't a late night guy anymore"...Jagger ignores Keith, and calls Charlie...after a few rings, Charlies' wife answers, and hands the phone to Charlie..."CHARLIE!!!! COME ON OVER!!! WHERE IS MY DRUMMER? I GOTTA HANG WITH MY DRUMMER!!!" Charlie hangs up. They don't think any more of it, until about an hour later, there is a knock on the door...Keith opens up the door, and there is Charlie, dressed to the nines, in a suit, and freshly showered. "Where is 'ee?" Charlie asks Keith. Watts marches into the room, grabs Mick by the lapels of his jacket, punches him in the face and says "I am NOT YOUR !@#$ing drummer!!!" He shoves Mick so hard, he almost falls off a balcony porch...funny stuff... Keith says, next day, when he sees Charlie again, he expects him to be a little conciliatory...but instead he says "I'll punch him again!" :lol:

Highly recommend the book. Also thought it was cool, Keith had a 20 year on again, off again thing with Ronnie Spector...a babe back in her day....

Wandering sprit is good, The last stones did have some good rockers, I stand corrected.

Take it so hard, whip it up, wicked as it seems, and 999 are strong keith rockers

I really liked Take It So Hard a lot when it came out, until I saw Waddy :censored: Wachtel playing all the leads when Keith was on Saturday Night Live. :bag::D The others are OK... it's just that they more or less all sound the same to me, & a little of that sound goes a long way.... always had a hard time playing those 2 CDs from start to finish.

Anyone read Keiths "Life" book? It rocks! Great read...I have probably read close to 25-30 Stones books over the years, and had kind of given up on the genre...but I had to read Keiths' book...it was an excellent read. Some really funny stuff.

My favorite story in the whole thing actually centered around Mick, growing further apart from the rest of the guys in the band, decides he is going to "hang with the boys" one night, after Keith's wedding to Patti Hanson. Mick and Keith are pretty blitzed, but Keith notes, Mick is trying a little too hard to be "one of the guys". He and Mick are hanging in Keiths hotel room, listening to music.

At around 4am. Mick starts saying "Where's Charlie? We gotta call him over here"...Keith says "Mick, its' 4 in the morning, you know Charlie isn't a late night guy anymore"...Jagger ignores Keith, and calls Charlie...after a few rings, Charlies' wife answers, and hands the phone to Charlie..."CHARLIE!!!! COME ON OVER!!! WHERE IS MY DRUMMER? I GOTTA HANG WITH MY DRUMMER!!!" Charlie hangs up. They don't think any more of it, until about an hour later, there is a knock on the door...Keith opens up the door, and there is Charlie, dressed to the nines, in a suit, and freshly showered. "Where is 'ee?" Charlie asks Keith. Watts marches into the room, grabs Mick by the lapels of his jacket, punches him in the face and says "I am NOT YOUR !@#$ing drummer!!!" He shoves Mick so hard, he almost falls off a balcony porch...funny stuff... Keith says, next day, when he sees Charlie again, he expects him to be a little conciliatory...but instead he says "I'll punch him again!" :lol:

Highly recommend the book. Also thought it was cool, Keith had a 20 year on again, off again thing with Ronnie Spector...a babe back in her day....

I downloaded scans of it from Demonoid, I guess it was complete.:lol: I thought it was a good read, though I did skim thru his childhood years. Some Stones fans on Stones boards are down on it, mostly cause they don't like his attitude towards Mick, but it didn't bother me, it is what it is..

I really liked Take It So Hard a lot when it came out, until I saw Waddy :censored: Wachtel playing all the leads when Keith was on Saturday Night Live. :bag::D The others are OK... it's just that they more or less all sound the same to me, & a little of that sound goes a long way.... always had a hard time playing those 2 CDs from start to finish.

I downloaded scans of it from Demonoid, I guess it was complete.:lol: I thought it was a good read, though I did skim thru his childhood years. Some Stones fans on Stones boards are down on it, mostly cause they don't like his attitude towards Mick, but it didn't bother me, it is what it is..

I don't mind that he was a little hard on Mick... to me, at this point, he is the biggest problem with the band. "Wandering Spirit" was mostly good, but you can tell, just from the stuff Mick does on his own, he is the chief culprit of that "Vegas-Stones" sound that you love so much. I wish they would just get back and do a cover album (the lyrics are the first thing to go), and just do a good rock/blues/country album. If any band has earned the right to do a cover album, it is the Stones...hell, even Dylan has done one...there were two or three decent songs on "Bigger Bang", but to me, the last listenable thing they did, was "Stripped" the live album, mix of covers and older Stones songs. Also, loved the "Exile On Main Street" outtakes...except that (pure Jagger schlock) "Crossing the River" or whatever it is cold...very obvious they plunked a new song into the middle of the vintage outtakes stuff.

As for Keith's guitar playing, I think Ronnie Wood has done most of the fancy picking over the years, but, I saw them on the last tour (granted almost 6 years ago at this point) and Keith did some pretty tasteful playing on things like "Sympathy for the Devil".

btw- a few guys I work at a record store with, and myself, are getting together for a game of Rolling Stones/Beatles Trivial Pursuit in the near future!

I don't mind that he was a little hard on Mick... to me, at this point, he is the biggest problem with the band. "Wandering Spirit" was mostly good, but you can tell, just from the stuff Mick does on his own, he is the chief culprit of that "Vegas-Stones" sound that you love so much. I wish they would just get back and do a cover album (the lyrics are the first thing to go), and just do a good rock/blues/country album. If any band has earned the right to do a cover album, it is the Stones...hell, even Dylan has done one...there were two or three decent songs on "Bigger Bang", but to me, the last listenable thing they did, was "Stripped" the live album, mix of covers and older Stones songs. Also, loved the "Exile On Main Street" outtakes...except that (pure Jagger schlock) "Crossing the River" or whatever it is cold...very obvious they plunked a new song into the middle of the vintage outtakes stuff.

As for Keith's guitar playing, I think Ronnie Wood has done most of the fancy picking over the years, but, I saw them on the last tour (granted almost 6 years ago at this point) and Keith did some pretty tasteful playing on things like "Sympathy for the Devil".

btw- a few guys I work at a record store with, and myself, are getting together for a game of Rolling Stones/Beatles Trivial Pursuit in the near future!

No doubt Mick is to blame for the Vegas Stones... the Stones songs that he played on his 1988 tour were a blueprint of what would end up being Steel Wheels tour and all the subsequent ones... slick, professional, and matching the studio versions. I think Keef would've sold his soul by that point to get the band back together, and that's what he basically did, letting Mick & Michael Cohl call all the shots from that point on

I like some of Stripped, not all...I would agree that is easily their best 'new' release as a band.in the past 25 years.

I'd rather they just retire & instead go back to the archives and keep releasing more vintage stuff. Ladies And Gentlemen was just outstanding, felt great to finally ditch my boot DVD=Rs when the BD came out. I am NOT a fan of the Exile 'Outtakes", 2010 Mick's old man vocals stood out like a sore thumb to me. Following The River is a complete embarrassment... can you imagine driving down the street blasting tunes & stopping at a busy intersection with those vocals coming out of your car? :sick: Keep him AND Don :censored: Was away from the material & keep it coming!

As for his playing, I have to wonder how much is him, how much is Blondie, and how much is Pierre the guitar guy?

No doubt Mick is to blame for the Vegas Stones... the Stones songs that he played on his 1988 tour were a blueprint of what would end up being Steel Wheels tour and all the subsequent ones... slick, professional, and matching the studio versions. I think Keef would've sold his soul by that point to get the band back together, and that's what he basically did, letting Mick & Michael Cohl call all the shots from that point on

I like some of Stripped, not all...I would agree that is easily their best 'new' release as a band.in the past 25 years.

I'd rather they just retire & instead go back to the archives and keep releasing more vintage stuff. Ladies And Gentlemen was just outstanding, felt great to finally ditch my boot DVD=Rs when the BD came out. I am NOT a fan of the Exile 'Outtakes", 2010 Mick's old man vocals stood out like a sore thumb to me. Following The River is a complete embarrassment... can you imagine driving down the street blasting tunes & stopping at a busy intersection with those vocals coming out of your car? :sick: Keep him AND Don :censored: Was away from the material & keep it coming!

As for his playing, I have to wonder how much is him, how much is Blondie, and how much is Pierre the guitar guy?

Wow, to me, other than the River song (really awful) it was kind of cool to have a "new Stones" album that you could listen to all the way through...I am old school...put it on a cassette to play in the car, last summer, and it was on continuous loop...skipped the River POS. :D I really liked "Plunder My Soul", but "Aladdin Story" is the standout track. I had heard this bootlegged for years, with no lyrics. Just a really nice "classic rock wank out" by Mick Taylor. Let's face it, there weren't enough of those over the years...then Death In Vegas put it on one of their albums, and made up their own lyrics for it...I think this Stones take on it is pretty strong.

I know what you mean about them breaking up. I wouldn't mind it at all, if the did, and just put out unreleased stuff...there is tons of it out there, and some really choice stuff that I have heard. Problem is, Jagger again. A few years ago, there was plans for a 4 CD box set to come out, 2 discs of "greatest hits" and 2 discs of unreleased stuff. I remember Keith saying he had gone through the vaults, and found lots of great stuff, he said it was kind of bitter-sweet, cuz even he knew they would never sound that good, or relevant, again.

As Keith was working on culling down the tracks, Mick stepped in and put the kabosh on it, because, as Keith put it, "Mick can't handle not being cool with young people, and he has this need to be seen as their contemporaries...so, he will be damned if he is going to compete with himself" or something like that...Jagger also did not want to do anything that would make Allen Klein any more money...now that Klein is dead, maybe bygones will be bygones.We ended up getting a two disc set, "40 Licks" instead...

Strangely though, on the "Stones In Exile" documentary, it sounds like it was Keith who wasn't all that jazzed about releasing the outtakes, while Mick was all for it. Keith said he had little to do with it, he just told Don Was, "don't !@#$ it up, Exile has already been done, and don't let Mick jack with it too much". So, maybe there has been a shift over the years...

Wow, to me, other than the River song (really awful) it was kind of cool to have a "new Stones" album that you could listen to all the way through...I am old school...put it on a cassette to play in the car, last summer, and it was on continuous loop...skipped the River POS. :D I really liked "Plunder My Soul", but "Aladdin Story" is the standout track. I had heard this bootlegged for years, with no lyrics. Just a really nice "classic rock wank out" by Mick Taylor. Let's face it, there weren't enough of those over the years...then Death In Vegas put it on one of their albums, and made up their own lyrics for it...I think this Stones take on it is pretty strong.

I know what you mean about them breaking up. I wouldn't mind it at all, if the did, and just put out unreleased stuff...there is tons of it out there, and some really choice stuff that I have heard. Problem is, Jagger again. A few years ago, there was plans for a 4 CD box set to come out, 2 discs of "greatest hits" and 2 discs of unreleased stuff. I remember Keith saying he had gone through the vaults, and found lots of great stuff, he said it was kind of bitter-sweet, cuz even he knew they would never sound that good, or relevant, again.

As Keith was working on culling down the tracks, Mick stepped in and put the kabosh on it, because, as Keith put it, "Mick can't handle not being cool with young people, and he has this need to be seen as their contemporaries...so, he will be damned if he is going to compete with himself" or something like that...Jagger also did not want to do anything that would make Allen Klein any more money...now that Klein is dead, maybe bygones will be bygones.We ended up getting a two disc set, "40 Licks" instead...

Strangely though, on the "Stones In Exile" documentary, it sounds like it was Keith who wasn't all that jazzed about releasing the outtakes, while Mick was all for it. Keith said he had little to do with it, he just told Don Was, "don't !@#$ it up, Exile has already been done, and don't let Mick jack with it too much". So, maybe there has been a shift over the years...

I will give Mick props for one thing of late... I thought he stole the show at the Grammys this year. Nothing fancy... he always does a good job with ENSTL... but he outclassed everyone else on stage that night, definition of rock royalty.

Edited by Rico

I will give Mick props for one thing of late... I thought he stole the show at the Grammys this year. Nothing fancy... he always does a good job with ENSTL... but he outclassed everyone else on stage that night, definition of rock royalty.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Again though, doing a tribute to Solomon Burke...when Mick stays in his age group, he can still kick ass...just like to see a little less of the Don Knotts-like dancing, and more singing...if you watch "Ladies & Gentlmen..." it was before they had all the 20 mile stages...dancing in place I can take...running laps, and singing just looks silly...I just get the feeling that Keith and the rest of the guys would be very happy to tone down the stage shows, but Mick feels he has too much to prove, pushing 70. If you are going to keep doing it, try to have a little more dignity is all I am asking....I beat them up for it, but I still love this band...always will!

I like the early stuff: Out of our heads, Aftermath, 12X 5 and The rolling stones Now!

Now that is the stones. I'd love to see them play tunes off of those albums. They won't because nobody will recognize them.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Again though, doing a tribute to Solomon Burke...when Mick stays in his age group, he can still kick ass...just like to see a little less of the Don Knotts-like dancing, and more singing...if you watch "Ladies & Gentlmen..." it was before they had all the 20 mile stages...dancing in place I can take...running laps, and singing just looks silly...I just get the feeling that Keith and the rest of the guys would be very happy to tone down the stage shows, but Mick feels he has too much to prove, pushing 70. If you are going to keep doing it, try to have a little more dignity is all I am asking....I beat them up for it, but I still love this band...always will!

Mick needs to wip out the harp more, like Keith says he very good at it.