Your Top 5 Worst Draft Picks Of The Modrak Era

Didn't make it because of the 3-4 did he? Didn't they mostly switch back to the 4-3?

And to reiterate, I am doubting the point that some of you make that this staff is soooo great because they don't choose players simply because they fit a scheme. Looking at the drafts over the last 2 years they do indeed choose players simply because they fit a particular scheme. They then ditch the scheme after if becomes an obvious abject failure. You could make the same statement about QBs and directors of college scouting.

Your argument seems ridiculous to me, I'm sorry. What team WOULDN'T draft to fit the scheme it wants to play? The point I'm making is that this particular staff has been willing to adjust the scheme to try and fit the players they inherited.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your argument seems ridiculous to me, I'm sorry. What team WOULDN'T draft to fit the scheme it wants to play? The point I'm making is that this particular staff has been willing to adjust the scheme to try and fit the players they inherited.

Why not fit the scheme to the players they inherited and draft accordingly?

Why not fit the scheme to the players they inherited and draft accordingly?

Because the players suck?

Anyway, your argument is like asking someone who just bought your house to come in and keep all of your furniture in exactly the same spot. They're going to want to buy their own furniture, or move yours around. At the very least, they will want to pick and choose the pieces they like and discard the rest.

Last year was a trial of sorts, and allowed the staff to evaluate the current players in the scheme they'd prefer to play. The result is they keep some, move some, and (mostly) acquire new.

Edited by eball

5) Donte Whitner - Serviceable player over the years but I would still consider a bust picked at #8. We had other needs that year. Picking a safety that high in the draft in general is not a good idea.

Beating a dead horse, but to me he doesn't belong on the list as he has been a pretty good football player, and while you want more at #8, we have some out of the league busts in the top two rounds which can round out the top 5.

Also, "We had other needs" and "Picking a safety that high" don't have anything to do with it. The only reason this was not a good pick is that there were better football players available, and one we all had circled on our draft board turned into a superstar in Baltimore.