DC area: Join effort to Drop Cropp

Just dropped an email to someone I know on the DC Sports Commission, asking if he had any insight into this fiasco involving Cropp. I don't know if he'll answer, though...he's got to be going ballistic over this. Two years' worth of work and a large chunk of the District's credibility, down the tubes because Cropp wants to play these stupid games...

Well, whaddaya know...I already got a response. 

"The smart money is that MLB is either going to go to No. Va or Vegas."

163161[/snapback]

I'd rather they go to Vegas...jeeziz, getting out to a stadium near Dulles will be more difficult than getting to B'more.

What pi$$es me off most about Cropp is that she was in on the deal...she was screaming her lungs out at the Union Station event in September where it was announced the team was coming here. Same goes for Carole Schwartz. Both singing "Take me out to the ball game" and posing for the press. Then, 10:30 Tuesday night, she makes like Dean Wormer and drops the big one. The picture on the front page of yesterday's Post should win a Pulitzer. Jack Evans' reaction is priceless.

This city is a joke. Need more proof? Repeat after me: "Councilman-elect Marion Barry."

Money quote: "This city is pathologically averse to change, captive to deep anxieties about race, class and the urban-suburban and District-federal divides. Baseball was an opportunity to rise above those strains, to reach for world-class status, to lure suburbanites back into a view of Washington as the center, a place of pride."

Wash Post

I'd rather they go to Vegas...jeeziz, getting out to a stadium near Dulles will be more difficult than getting to B'more.

What pi$$es me off most about Cropp is that she was in on the deal...she was screaming her lungs out at the Union Station event in September where it was announced the team was coming here.  Same goes for Carole Schwartz.  Both singing "Take me out to the ball game" and posing for the press.  Then, 10:30 Tuesday night, she makes like Dean Wormer and drops the big one.  The picture on the front page of yesterday's Post should win a Pulitzer.  Jack Evans' reaction is priceless.

This city is a joke.  Need more proof?  Repeat after me: "Councilman-elect Marion Barry."

Money quote: "This city is pathologically averse to change, captive to deep anxieties about race, class and the urban-suburban and District-federal divides. Baseball was an opportunity to rise above those strains, to reach for world-class status, to lure suburbanites back into a view of Washington as the center, a place of pride."

Wash Post

163194[/snapback]

I read that article...pretty good read, even though I disagree with most of it.

Personally...I still fault the league for this mess. How could they not know that DC politics would screw them over if they got involved in the process. They would have been much better off waiting until the Council committed to the funding package before they announced the move, complete with all the marketing. This should be a lesson to them: nothing is a done deal until it goes through the legislature. Mayor Williams, when you really get down to it, didn't have the authority to commit to that deal.

Too bad for him, too...he works his ass off (not just with baseball) trying to build up the district's national image, only to have all his efforts crushed by one vengeful harpy on the Council.

And you're right...who wants to drive out to Dulles for a baseball game? I don't even like going to Dulles for a friggin' plane...

Baseball......YECH.......I think she's doing us a FAVOR!

163115[/snapback]

Watch it with that smart aleck reference to taxes, bub, or I'll be camping out at your lobbyist luxury condo in Arlington for the game on Sunday. You know that wouldn't make Mrs. Flanders happy....

Honestly, what in tarnation did you expect from the DC Gov't? This is the only body politic that could make the City of Buffalo govt look competant.

Talk to you later..

Don't suppose any of the DC residents here listened to her on WTOP this morning, did they?

She sounds reasonable...in that she's not a raving lunatic. However, she seems convinced that this is an issue to be negotiated between her and the mayor. She doesn't seem to have the slightest conception that Major League Baseball is anything other than an interested spectator to the process, rather than the organization that negotiated the deal in the first place.

Don't suppose any of the DC residents here listened to her on WTOP this morning, did they?

She sounds reasonable...in that she's not a raving lunatic.  However, she seems convinced that this is an issue to be negotiated between her and the mayor.  She doesn't seem to have the slightest conception that Major League Baseball is anything other than an interested spectator to the process, rather than the organization that negotiated the deal in the first place.

164160[/snapback]

And the Post reports she's asked MLB for "a few more months" to find the private financing.

Sure, Ms. Cropp, take all the time you need. You've been an honest broker throughout, take as much time as you like. :D

Private financing is a good idea...but she helped broker the deal she now wants to withdraw.

She's a dope. Plain and simple. If she didn't like the deal in September, which is the same deal in December, then why did Ms. C climb the podium and start singing "Take me out to the ballgame?" She's looking for name ID, so she can primary Mayor Tony next time around.

This city will soon be run by Ms. Cropp and her chief deputy, Marion Barry. God bless us, everyone.