profit based medicine, more evidence of its success

avastin. in this case the "insurance" most frequently covering this drug is medicare. interesting that the study was funded by the NIH. this is exactly the type of thing they should be studying. genentech of course stands by their MUCH more expensive drug.

Didn't read the whole article, did you?

Didn't read the whole article, did you?

I did. why? and when the latest nejm makes it to my desk i'll read the original article. i'm guessing you mean that both drugs are made be genetech? yup, caught that. and that one is a cleaved molecule of the other but costs 40X as much? caught that too. the marginally higher adverse reaction rate.? yup, needs further investigation butis suspicious for artifact.

Edited by birdog1960

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, lets get Government more involed, they never make mistakes. Do they?

Figured I'd throw this in here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110510/ap_on_re_us/us_fema_reclaiming_aid

it doesn't require much thought or a long memory to cite examples of private sector mistakes, disasters and failures: BP and Exxon oil spills, Dupont Bhopal chlorine gassing, the current nuclear disaster in Japan, Countrywide, AIG, Bear Stearns, Enron, GM collapses, Vioxx, Rezulin, Thalidomide, Phen fen, medtronic pacemaker recalls... i could go on but from this perspective, i think your example is pretty weak. incompetence, dishonesty and greed are prevelant in both the private and public sectors with frequent dire consequences. gov't is in no way unique in this regard but at least its leaders are meant to answer to us.

it doesn't require much thought or a long memory to cite examples of private sector mistakes, disasters and failures: BP and Exxon oil spills, Dupont Bhopal chlorine gassing, the current nuclear disaster in Japan, Countrywide, AIG, Bear Stearns, Enron, GM collapses, Vioxx, Rezulin, Thalidomide, Phen fen, medtronic pacemaker recalls... i could go on but from this perspective, i think your example is pretty weak. incompetence, dishonesty and greed are prevelant in both the private and public sectors with frequent dire consequences. gov't is in no way unique in this regard but at least its leaders are meant to answer to us.

While of course all sectors make mistakes, the government, by their regulations can cause or make more probable mistakes in the private sector. Would the BP disaster been as pronounced if we were drilling in shallow water rather than deep water? Would the economic downturn have happened if the government didn't come up with the CRA, or the idiots on the House Banking Committee hadn't blindly stood by Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac?

Then the inverse of your argument would hold that countries where the government has a greater say in general business affairs have a higher standard of living than the US?

Keep telling yourself that. If you repeat it often enough, it's sure to become truth.

i didn't say it does answer to us, I said it is meant to and i believe it's possible for the populace to demand and achieve this. this is not at all the case in the private sector.

Then the inverse of your argument would hold that countries where the government has a greater say in general business affairs have a higher standard of living than the US?

it depends on which american's standard of living you choose to compare. now that we have a dumbell shaped distribution of wealth with a disappearing middle class, the bottom of the dumbell probably doesn't compare that well with some countries with high gov't intervention. and that disparity and the enlargement of the bottom of the dumbell continues to proceed at a very rapid clip in the US.

i didn't say it does answer to us, I said it is meant to and i believe it's possible for the populace to demand and achieve this. this is not at all the case in the private sector.

it depends on which american's standard of living you choose to compare. now that we have a dumbell shaped distribution of wealth with a disappearing middle class, the bottom of the dumbell probably doesn't compare that well with some countries with high gov't intervention. and that disparity and the enlargement of the bottom of the dumbell continues to proceed at a very rapid clip in the US.

Yeay, class warfare. The evil rich are ruining the country. Quick everyone, move to the Swedish paradise.

The reason for the disparity isn't that the US poor are so much owrse than the poor in other countries, but that the gap between the super rich and super poor is growing. Yet, to be effective , you have to look at the comparison at the income strata over time and see whether the poor are comprised of the permanently poor, or the temporarily poor on their way up the income ladder. Doubt that this research would prove you right. So it's better to shout "Rich are Evil."

Edited by GG

Yeay, class warfare. The evil rich are ruining the country. Quick everyone, move to the Swedish paradise.

The reason for the disparity isn't that the US poor are so much owrse than the poor in other countries, but that the gap between the super rich and super poor is growing. Yet, to be effective , you have to look at the comparison at the income strata over time and see whether the poor are comprised of the permanently poor, or the temporarily poor on their way up the income ladder. Doubt that this research would prove you right. So it's better to shout "Rich are Evil."

your sense of the economic realities of the country seems stuck in the 70's. consider these stats:

the bottom 50% of earners in the us collectively hold less than 1% of the nations wealth.

61% of americans "always or usually" live paycheck to paycheck.

banks now own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the us than all individual owners put together.

88% of the income growth from 2001-2007 was in the hands of the top 1%

83% of all US stocks are in the hands of the top 1%

do you consider the bottom 50% of the population poor? doe that not seem too large a proportion of "have nots" to you? granted, theoretically, this is a wealthy country but that group sharing less than 1% of her wealth implies some hardships to me and i witness it every day. Class warfare? it's been occurring on a massive scale for the last 30 years. the fighting is so one sided, on an almost khadafiesque or assadlike scale, that it doesn't appear to be a war at all. it seems to many that it's business as usual. but it's not. this is all quite new.