Draft on ESPN

What did everyone think of the draft on ESPN?

Berman has to retire.. Too much dead air..

Kiper is too worried about his draft sheets to speak...

Gruden salivates over every player,,, When Cleveland traded up.. He got all excited thinking it was Cincy (his brother is the new OC) trading up to get a QB.

I wish I had NFL NETWORK..

Gruden salivates over every player,,, When Cleveland traded up.. He got all excited thinking it was Cincy (his brother is the new OC) trading up to get a QB.

NFL Network wasnt any better with Faulk, Irvin and Deoin...would have been better if it was just Mayock and Eisen

they both try and do too much...just cover the draft, thats it...enough with the extra BS

ESPN was horrible to watch. They were acting like it was 3am and it was the 7th round. A lot of silence, mel had nothing to add, and gruden was just talking about how amazing every player was.

I don't know, I was kind of surprised that he "dogged" Julio Jones...talking about how great he is, physically, but he "drops way too many passes"...they then proceeded to show a "highlight" reel of Jones drops. Gruden said "he shows he can drop the intermediate passes as well as the long routs". I thought it was fairly brutal. Not as brutal as the outfit that Jones was wearing, but pretty brutal.

All in all, I think their coverage was fine. How much can anyone really say about all this stuff?

The chemistry on the ESPN set doesn't really seem to work. I think there's some passive aggressiveness going on up there.

Big time...I get the feeling Kiper hates all of them...the NFL Draft was "his thing", as a pop culture phenomenon. As much as people knock him, Kiper almost signle-handedly made the draft what it is now...now, douche-bags like Tod McShay, and the rest have taken it away from him...remember a few years ago, before the NFL Network was on the scene, Kiper only did the draft for ESPN, and likely made a good bit of money for it. Now, he is doing ESPN Radio, count-counterpoint segments, etc...I am sure he is bitter. I like Kiper. He is kind of smarmy, and uncomfortable to watch at times...but he is the true draft-nik...the rest are just pretenders.

I liked Gruden's QB Camp things, conceptually, but he is such a phoney...

I saw Gruden try a few times to engage in discussion with Kiper to no avail. He'd say something and look to Mel - but I think Mel was too busy checking out his hair in the camera.

When they were talking about Jake Locker, Kiper was pointing out the negatives, low completion %, etc etc... then Gruden cut him off, saying "aw...you guys with your stats...the kid is a winner, and I would love to have him QB my team..."

Edited by Buftex

Big time...I get the feeling Kiper hates all of them...the NFL Draft was "his thing", as a pop culture phenomenon. As much as people knock him, Kiper almost signle-handedly made the draft what it is now...now, douche-bags like Tod McShay, and the rest have taken it away from him...remember a few years ago, before the NFL Network was on the scene, Kiper only did the draft for ESPN, and likely made a good bit of money for it. Now, he is doing ESPN Radio, count-counterpoint segments, etc...I am sure he is bitter. I like Kiper. He is kind of smarmy, and uncomfortable to watch at times...but he is the true draft-nik...the rest are just pretenders.

I'm just curious as to why many people call McShay a douchebag. Is it just because he has whiffed on players in the past?

NFL Network streams the draft. Watch both.

I'm so glad that I have NFL Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, Golf Channel, and Tennis Channel.....I hardly ever watch ESPN now. ESPN is too much about entertainment and personalities....can't stand it and I'm glad there are alternatives where one can get more in depth analysis w/o the shtick!!!

When they were talking about Jake Locker, Kiper was pointing out the negatives, low completion %, etc etc... then Gruden cut him off, saying "aw...you guys with your stats...the kid is a winner, and I would love to have him QB my team..."

But that is how conversation should work - I don't just want to hear Kiper say blah blah blah then Gruden takes his turn at blah blah without any relation to Kiper's blahs then you finish with Berman saying blah! - Berman laughs, Gruden smirks and Kiper checks his hair once more before repeating the process.

This is why I like Gruden. He doesn't care about stats - hell, he probably doesn't even look at them - but he just gives the short of it and isn't very long-winded. Seems like he looks at players to see what they *can* be, not what they have been.