Just when you thought the journalistic bar couldn't get any lower.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110415/ts_yblog_thelookout/closer-look-lead-codices-spending-cuts-and-the-deficit-problem

I understand the need for mindless filler to make websites sticky, but **** man, this !@#$'s about as qualified to write about economics as Dave in Norfolk.

The origins of our deficit problem: In his speech on deficit reduction Wednesday, President Obama declared: "America's finances were in great shape by the year 2000. We went from deficit to surplus. America was actually on track to becoming completely debt-free, and we were prepared for the retirement of the Baby Boomers."

Is that an accurate picture of how things stood at the turn of the century? Actually, yes. In 2000, we had a budget surplus of $230 billion, and both President Clinton and President Bush expressed confidence that the U.S. national debt could be paid off in full by 2010.

All in all, Collender said, Obama's assessment is "absolutely accurate." So for the first time in the short history of Closer Look, we're going to give this claim our highest accuracy rating: airtight.

Oh, so we're running on the "I'm still not George Bush" platform again, huh? What a surprise.

Seriously. He brought it up again in his big speech last week where he once again outlined his plan to reduce the deficit by once again commissioning a think thank to once again evaluate ways we can once again reduce the deficit, but this time he really means it because this time he's putting Joe Biden in charge. And with Biden recently off his successful "Look How Well The Stimulus Worked" tour, what could go wrong?

Somewhere in that speech he literally brought up the fact that the reason we're in this mess is because of what he inherited. Three years running. This was followed by him telling people recently that the GOP wants the US to be a third world country.

I swear, we'd have been in better hands if we just elected my first wife as president. She was crazy and vindictive, but at least she knew when to stop beating a dead horse.