A different take on the NFL Draft

Got_Wood

We've seen everything you can think of as far as the draft is concerned this year. A million different mock drafts, combine workouts, pro day workouts, team visits, Mayock this, and Kiper that. Basically piles of information that serves only to confuse the hell out of you by the time draft day arrives.

I was thinking a lot about this, and really it comes down to the best FOOTBALL Players in its simplest sense. Think back to when you were a kid on the playground. There was always a team captain, and all the other kids would stand there and wait to get picked for each team. Kids of all shapes and sizes would wait nervously and hope they wouldn't get picked last. But the kids picking the players for their team knew exactly the kinds of guys they wanted. They either wanted the fast, athletic guys that could burn the other team, or they wanted the big, mean guys that could intimidate the other team. And most likely, the captains would weed out a QB for their team early on as well.

Right now, if you look at this team, the Bills have a lot of those fast, athletic guys that can burn the other team (Lee Evans, Steve Johnson, CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Roscoe Parrish, Leodis McKelvin, etc.). But we don't have a ton of intimidation on this squad. We've got guys like Kyle Williams, Paul Posluszny, Eric Wood, and now Shawne Merriman. But is there anyone that can lay a big hit on another team? I know Chris Kelsay and Akin Ayodele aren't scaring anyone out there. We need some intimidation on this team. Our division opponents have plenty of punch out there. New England: Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Meriweather will take your head off. Miami: Cameron Wake, Karlos Dansby, and Yeremiah Bell are beasts. New York: Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Jason Taylor, and Shaun Ellis bring tons of pressure.

So look at this draft and tell me who (from a playground point of view) you would take on your team? These are the guys that I think will make a big difference:

Round 1:

Von Miller

Nick Fairley

Marcell Dareus

Cam Newton (he's big, fast, and he'll run you over)

Round 2:

Akeem Ayers

Marvin Austin

Adrian Clayborn

Gabe Carimi (big, mean OT)

Ben Ijalana (another big, mean O-lineman)

(I factor in our ability to run the ball as an intimidating factor for us when deciding to include O-lineman)

So, that's my take on this whole thing. Take it for what it's worth.

simply from a playground perspective, I'd take Fairley & Carimi. but thats not factoring in rules (or lack of) or the future of my playground team.

oh- forgot to ask, where would this playground be? cause Fairley don't like snow.

Edited by dgrid

Based on playground rules, I choose Dareus and Carimi (although he won't be there in the second). Fairley was tempting because of the "nastiness" element that he brings to the equation. I like Dareus' versatility to much, however, as I think he will prove to be the better pro in the long run and is a better fit for this defense. Given the choices in the 2nd round, Carimi was a no-brainer.

simply from a playground perspective, I'd take Fairley & Carimi. but thats not factoring in rules (or lack of) or the future of my playground team.

oh- forgot to ask, where would this playground be? cause Fairley don't like snow.

Let's just say it's in Buffalo in the middle of January. Fairley may not like snow, but he could learn to like it. He's a monster.

On a playground there is no question it's Cam Newton.

You know whatever team he is on is going to win, One way or another.

It's not even close.

Nick Fairely can reportedly 360 dunk at almost 300lbs. According to his former teammate and current bills Coleman.

That would be Cam Newton's first pick. Fairely played TE in High School.

The problem is this is the NFL not playground ball.

But I understand the point we need some intimidation factor and we definitely don't have that.

Knowing that Nick Fairely will step on your QBs leg or head is pretty intimidating.

I wouldn't mind the 15 yard penalties if Brady is in pain. Totally worth it.

Edited by Why So Serious?

On a playground there is no question it's Cam Newton.

You know whatever team he is on is going to win, One way or another.

It's not even close.

Nick Fairely can reportedly 360 dunk at almost 300lbs. According to his former teammate and current bills Coleman.

That would be Cam Newton's first pick. Fairely played TE in High School.

The problem is this is the NFL not playground ball.

But I understand the point we need some intimidation factor and we definitely don't have that.

Knowing that Nick Fairely will step on your QBs leg or head is pretty intimidating.

I wouldn't mind the 15 yard penalties if Brady is in pain. Totally worth it.

Post of the Day! :devil:

Fairley, Newton, and Austin are all off my draft board. No thank you to all 3

Why is that? Character issues? Remember Bruce Smith's "character issues"? No regrets there. If they are the best at what they do, I would take any one of these guys. The character concerns are very minor from my perspective. There are no criminals or drug users here.