Carson Palmer - OUT

Not sure if this has made the headlines or not, but I am told that Carson will not play this Sunday. My friend knows the person who supplies medical supplies/training support to the Bengals. Apparently, when he visited their facility yesterday, Palmer was on crutches and was definitely going to be out.

I think this is pretty good news for the Bills as they go for the playoffs. I don't think Kitna is much worse than Palmer (personal opinion), but the team has not played with him for quite some time. If anything, it is a bit disruptive.

Go Bills!

Pete

If Kitna starts, it at least puts a cramp on their long ball. One of the problems with last year is that Kitna did not have the arm to lead Chad Johnson down field, so Chad would have to slow/stop to catch it.

It should help to hide any weaknesses that we might have in our secondary.

I think Palmer is out Sunday too - I heard Mort speculate he'd be out and I like what Mort says.

Kitna is a little dangerous, but our D is very capable of handling the threat that Cincy pose with Kitna at the helm. We MUST make sure that Rudi Johnson is kep to low numbers. We'll start hurting if Cincy goes after us with the run early, rather than have to rely on Kitna. I don't want their passing game opened up by the run.

Look for the possibility of Kitna to utilize the TE's moreso than Palmer - experience vs. youth, as well as Palmer's better arm downfield. Last season, Kitna hit'em for 68 receptions, with Palmer, only 38 TE catches to date.

Ten or so yards outside of the goal line, the Bills need to keep an eye out for a qb run. Kitna is a very smart qb, and if he sees the middle open up, he will go without hesitation...scored 4 rush td's in 2002.

Not sure if this has made the headlines or not, but I am told that Carson will not play this Sunday. My friend knows the person who supplies medical supplies/training support to the Bengals. Apparently, when he visited their facility yesterday, Palmer was on crutches and was definitely going to be out.

I think this is pretty good news for the Bills as they go for the playoffs. I don't think Kitna is much worse than Palmer (personal opinion), but the team has not played with him for quite some time. If anything, it is a bit disruptive.

Go Bills!

Pete

161270[/snapback]

I heard is supposed to be very windy and cold at game time.

Wouldn't this give the advantage to Drew and the Bills, since Drew's arm is much strong than corn cobb Kinta's?

I recall a game in Buffalo vs. the Dolfags with the same kind of weather, where Drew cut thru the wind just fine.

One thing to the Bills benefit is that the Bengals have given Carson Palmer more then the usual practice repetitions to speed up his learning curve. This means that Kitna may not be as sharp and precise as he would be with normal back-up reps each week.

I also believe that he will tend to throw more short routes and use the TE more. The Bills should review the game films with Cincinnati last year and this will provide them guidance in how to deal with a Kitna led offense.

Didn't Kitna beat us once when he was with Seattle?  Granted that was during the Greggo Error, but still.

161435[/snapback]

Remember Flutie's last game as Bill? and Phillips as head coach?

It was at the Seahawks, and Kitna was the QB.

He was joke.

Fumbled the snap about 4 times.

Bills crushed them

From Bengals.com:

Palmer: Game-time decision

12-15-04, 12:55 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, his left knee still in a cast, didn't practice Wednesday, and his status won't be revealed until 90 minutes before the Bengals play the Bills at Paul Brown Stadium this Sunday.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Palmer's sprained knee has improved and that he won't rule out Palmer playing even if he doesn't practice this week in keeping him in the questionable category. It does look like the Bengals are going to be without their starting center against the Bills' massive defensive front that keys their third-rated NFL defense. Rich Braham (knee) has been downgraded to doubtful and didn't pracice Wednesday.

From Bengals.com:

Palmer: Game-time decision

12-15-04, 12:55 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, his left knee still in a cast, didn't practice Wednesday, and his status won't be revealed until 90 minutes before the Bengals play the Bills at Paul Brown Stadium this Sunday.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Palmer's sprained knee has improved and that he won't rule out Palmer playing even if he doesn't practice this week in keeping him in the questionable category. It does look like the Bengals are going to be without their starting center against the Bills' massive defensive front that keys their third-rated NFL defense. Rich Braham (knee) has been downgraded to doubtful and didn't pracice Wednesday.

161468[/snapback]

I don't know the exact rules, but the B'gals are already in line for a fine (peanuts - 10,000 bucks) in Warrick's last game, where they listed him as out and then played him.

Seems if they purport to wait 90 minutes before game time and say nothing during the week, and have in fact made that statement, the League will probably make them suffer. IIRC, the integrity of injury reporting is something that the NFL said they'de clamp down on this season.

I wonder if this is just hyperbole on Hobson's part...

It could be just an important to us that the starting C for the Bengals is hurt and probably out for the game. A rusty QB or an injured one behind a damaged OL against Pat & Sam......

161566[/snapback]

Agreed - regardless which QB plays, that's good news. Faine went out last week (although it was near the end of the thrashing) and obviously our D was amazing. I don't know much about Cincy's OL, but assume they've been doing well since the offense has the last few weeks.

Jerry Fontenot is the reserve at C (seems like he's been around since the last time the Bengals went to the Superbowl) and has had 3 starts this year and is a solid replacement. However with our DTs he could wear down in the game (in any case changing the OL just as you face our DL is never a good thing).

If Brabham can't go, they'll use the ageless Jerry Fontenot. He was picked up early on, and played for Brabhan for 4 games or so with around 3 day's practice. Size is similar, Brabham is 6 four and listed at 309, and Fontenot at 6 three and 300.

Fontenot's been playing since dirt was rock, so he knows line calls, assignments, etc as well as the starter.