1. Panthers/Newton, 2. Broncos/Dareus,

I respect that everyone has their favorites, and I'm the first to recognize that nobody on this board knows who's going to end up a good player and who isn't (no matter how hard they may thump their chest). However, I can't believe the amount of love that Robert Quinn gets on this board; it's baffling to me. I have several issues with Quinn:

- Hasn't played football since January of 2010

- Had only 1 productive season in college (as a sophomore)

- In his 1 productive season, 8 of his 11 sacks came in 3 games (against teams like E. Carolina, Virginia, and Duke)

- Played against inferior competition (i.e. Citadel, UConn, Virginia, Ga. Southern, Duke)

- He only had 22 strength lifts at the combine...now, before all you "workouts don't matter" folks jump on me, hear me out...the combine was the first chance in 13 months that Quinn had to display his abilities for NFL scouts, and he only comes up with 22 bench press reps at 265 lbs. It's not as though the guy had just come off a long season, where he had to build his body back up; he was suspended. He literally had months to prepare for this one event with no football obligations, which to me says one of 2 things: (1) he simply isn't very strong, or (2) he didn't spend a lot of time in the weight room

- He's never played in a 3-4, and his short shuttle and 3-cone would indicate that he isn't the naturally fluid athlete that you'd like to see at OLB

- Lastly, and I know I'm in the minority, he showed poor judgement in accepting benefits that resulted in a suspension.

I just don't know how many of you folks can look at all of those red flags and be convinced that the team should spend the #3 overall pick on him. I'm more than willing to hear you out if you care to explain...

Just my 1 cent.

I agree with you.

BUT The Guy is an athletic freak for his size.

The Good news is that I highly doubt that based on Buddy Nix' one year of being a GM for the Bills and drafting almost all 4 year players that were team captain's that Robert Quinn is on One Bills drive radar in the first round.

Robert Quinn has a better shot at going #23 imo over #3, real world GMs are going to be scared of this dude. Just think if he turns into a bust, its not just 1 red flag with this guy, and its not just comments at a press conference, there are multiple big red flags with this guy, it will be so easy for Owners and fans to lynch a GM if Quinn turns into a Top 10 bust. However if he falls to #15-#25 with a team that probably already has good coaching the GM looks like a genius if he pans out. If he he busts maybe the GM won't get killed if a team that is already stacked takes a flyer an athletic kid that on paper could be dominant.

Anyone find any downside to Peterson? Reading over everything about all these guys this is the pick that seems to make the most sense. CB may not be our number 1 need, but its definitely a need and this guy is as close as it gets to a sure thing in my book.

Stiff hips, plays like a safety and not a "shutdown corner" in college.

However with that 40 time, my concerns have wained because he might have just been bating QBs into throwing to him because he know he could recover and make a pick.

I still want some Beef though, In the 1st and 2nd rounds.

2 is better than 1.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you.

The Good news is that I highly doubt that based on Buddy Nix' one year of being a GM for the Bills and drafting almost all 4 year players that were team captain's that Robert Quinn is on One Bills drive radar in the first round.

Robert Quinn has a better shot at going #23 imo over #3, real world GMs are going to be scared of this dude. Just think if he turns into a bust, its not just 1 red flag with this guy, and its not just comments at a press conference, there are multiple big red flags with this guy, it will be so easy for Owners and fans to lynch a GM if Quinn turns into a Top 10 bust. However if he falls to #15-#25 with a team that probably already has good coaching the GM looks like a genius if he pans out. If he he busts maybe the GM won't get killed if a team that is already stacked takes a flyer an athletic kid that on paper could be dominant.

What were these red flag "comments" at a press conference that you're referring to.

If he does drop and becomes the next Julius Peppers then there will be about 10-23 teams that will being asking themselves what they were so freaking scared about. The only red flag for me is the year off, but that was dissipated by his good (and by that I mean very acceptable for a top ten OLB pick) combine performance.

I agree with you.

All very good points. As I've said before, I happen to think he'll end up a good player, but for my money (er, draft picks I suppose) he's as big a risk as anyone with a top 5 pick.

Then again, I don't know who the safe pick would be. My hunch tells me it's Miller (which I know you disagree with), or maybe even Julio Jones (which I know might be a reach, but I think he's a safe pick).

Tough call, and I'm glad I don't have to make it for real.

All very good points. As I've said before, I happen to think he'll end up a good player, but for my money (er, draft picks I suppose) he's as big a risk as anyone with a top 5 pick.

Then again, I don't know who the safe pick would be. My hunch tells me it's Miller (which I know you disagree with), or maybe even Julio Jones (which I know might be a reach, but I think he's a safe pick).

Tough call, and I'm glad I don't have to make it for real.

I don't disagree I think Miller is on Buddy's radar, and is a safer pick than Quinn.

I just think the Bills won't be calling Miller's name on draft day. I also think that Quinn has a higher ceiling than Miller, but again way more riskier in my opinion.

I can't wait for this freaking draft to get here.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't disagree I think Miller is on Buddy's radar, and is a safer pick than Quinn.

I just think the Bills won't be calling Miller's name on draft day. I also think that Quinn has a higher ceiling than Miller, but again way more riskier in my opinion.

I can't wait for this freaking draft to get here.

Yeah, it's especially bad with no free agency or anything else of relevance during the offseason.

It is difficult to pigeon hole what Buddy's/Chan's leanings may be in regards to the "types" of players that they like to go after in the draft based on a single year of observing them. However, here are some patterns that are worth noting:

1. They seem to prefer seniors to underclassmen.

2. They like kids coming out of the SEC (not a surprise given Buddy's background) or the Big 12.

3. They like "good" kids; players who have not gotten into trouble.

4. In the later rounds, the are willing to roll the dice on players who were highly productive at small schools.

Based on this criteria, I would have to think that Miller would be a logical choice for them at #3.

It is difficult to pigeon hole what Buddy's/Chan's leanings may be in regards to the "types" of players that they like to go after in the draft based on a single year of observing them. However, here are some patterns that are worth noting:

1. They seem to prefer seniors to underclassmen.

2. They like kids coming out of the SEC (not a surprise given Buddy's background) or the Big 12.

3. They like "good" kids; players who have not gotten into trouble.

4. In the later rounds, the are willing to roll the dice on players who were highly productive at small schools.

Based on this criteria, I would have to think that Miller would be a logical choice for them at #3.

So, with that in mind, you could be looking at something like this:

1st - Von Miller - LB/Texas A&M

2nd - Cameron Heyward - DE/Ohio State

3rd - Colin Kaepernick - QB/Nevada

4th - Kasey Matthews - LB/Oregon

5th - Lee Ziemba - OT/Auburn

6th - Rob Housler - TE/Florida Atlantic

7th - Ian Williams - DT/Notre Dame

7th - Davonte Shannon - S/Buffalo

Now, I bet not one of those will actually be the pick (since I don't really know what the heck we'll do), but hey, they all fit the criteria.

Edited by thebandit27

1. I was reading a Carolina forum and I get the distinct feeling that the skids are being greased for Cam Newton.

2. There's almost a 100% chance that the Broncos will select Dareus.

This is a very hard decision. For me, I'm picking from the group of Fairley, Quinn, Peterson, Miller, Green and Jones. These are true "impact" type guys. My gut feeling is that Quinn is going to be a star at the next level, he's a passionate football player, he has his head on straight, and he helps us in both the run and pass defense. I know his bust factor is higher than Peterson's and Green's, but I have to go with my gut for this pick, Robert Quinn.

Who do you pick (doesn't have to be from my group) if those two are gone?...

I think the Bills will take Newton or Gabbert who ever is still left at 3