Is anyone else starting to feel the way I do about the NFL?

Yeah, the free market worked out well with real estate in this country didn't it...

The "free market" isn't so free my friend. Not when it's manipulated by the wealthy 1% of this country (and wealthy of the world for that matter).

And guess what, I'm no blue collar liberal. I'm a white collar right winger that's paid my dues. But it's not about that. It's about the rich vs. non-rich. And sooner or later the little guy fights back.

The Real Estate market would never have had the problems it experienced if those oh so smart bureaucrats had stayed the hell out of the lending biz in the first place. Back in the day when mom and pop lenders had accountability to their shareholders and acted responsibly with their lending practices, there was never a problem.

Once upon a time, a group of politician, looking out for their own careers no doubt, decided it would be great if your tax dollars guaranteed loans. What a swell idea!!! After a while, many unscrupulous mortgage brokers and shady lenders stopped acting responsibly, realizing that their Uncle Sam would be there to save their hide if things went south with the risky loans.

It is a free country. Nothing stopping any one of you from getting wealthy.

What this thread was about had to do with the greed of the NFL. It's a leisure activity - nothing more. If it's too pricey, do something else. If enough people aren't interested, the price will come down. If you were selling something on Ebay, don't you want to get the highest price possible? Any kind of smart business works that way. Why be pissed off at the owners. Apparently there are still enough patrons willing to part with the ticket prices, etc. (probably those manipulative 1% Richie Rich fokkers)

Edited by DML2005

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in.

I suggest beginning a new thread to state your goal and solicit a boycott for the first quarter. If it is met with support on this board, step it up a notch and take it to other team message boards. Before you know it PFT will catch wind of it and it will make MSNBC.

If Facebook can be used to overthrow governments, then surely the lil ol NFL will hear us too?

I was amazed to experience the power of the internet. Many Golden State Warriors basketball fans were fed up with how their owner ran the team. A member of a Warriors fan site created another site that basically demanded that the owner sell the team. We also contacted people like the guy who writes the Yahoo "Ball Don't Lie" blog to tell him about our site. The Yahoo guy actually mentioned it and included a link on one of his blogs.

Now, the owner may have already decided to sell the team, but not too long after our activities he announced he was selling the team. We like to think that the embarassment of that publicized website had something to do with it. ;)

The Bills are the only reason I care about the NFL. No Bills and the NFL no longer exists to me.

PTR

I do follow all of the teams myself as I like to keep tabs on players that I like, but I (like you) would walk away from it all without the Bills. It just wouldn't be the same and I could never bring myself to root for either of those clubs that reside in New Jersey.

The Real Estate market would never have had the problems it experienced if those oh so smart bureaucrats had stayed the hell out of the lending biz in the first place. Back in the day when mom and pop lenders had accountability to their shareholders and acted responsibly with their lending practices, there was never a problem.

Once upon a time, a group of politician, looking out for their own careers no doubt, decided it would be great if your tax dollars guaranteed loans. What a swell idea!!! After a while, many unscrupulous mortgage brokers and shady lenders stopped acting responsibly, realizing that their Uncle Sam would be there to save their hide if things went south with the risky loans.

It is a free country. Nothing stopping any one of you from getting wealthy.

What this thread was about had to do with the greed of the NFL. It's a leisure activity - nothing more. If it's too pricey, do something else. If enough people aren't interested, the price will come down. If you were selling something on Ebay, don't you want to get the highest price possible? Any kind of smart business works that way. Why be pissed off at the owners. Apparently there are still enough patrons willing to part with the ticket prices, etc. (probably those manipulative 1% Richie Rich fokkers)

In theory I agree with you, but I do think that the league is hurting itself in the long run. They can be greedy all they want and I will still watch it. The problem I have is that what they are doing could be leading to disaster. If teams build monstrosities like that space station they held the superbowl in, and then line it with luxury boxes they are going to fill the stands. However, these will be people with lots of money to dispose of and could be doing much better things with it than watch a horrible team (especially in places like LA if the league puts a team there...again...). Suddenly the team starts losing. All of the die hard fans that would show up no matter what, have been priced out. So now we have empty seats, maybe blackouts. Now you can't afford a ticket to the game, and because the Richies didn't show up, now you don't get to watch it on TV either. Lucky you. I know it is a bit of a stretch (especially seeing as some teams like the cowboys will always be popular no matter how bad they get) but I can see a big problem developing where the bubble is going to burst and it wont be good for anyone.