OT - Rental Car

EZC-Boston

I always rent with Hertz - they usually come out the cheapest of the big companies, have good cars, and one time the upgraded me from a stojanty compact all the way up to a Ford Explorer SportTrac for no extra cash!!

160874[/snapback]

I always rent with Hertz as well. If you are going to rent-that's your final option, make sure you go to one of the outlying rental places-not anything near the airport or downtown. Things could be as much as 30-50% cheaper, even with the dropoff fees. You're going to want at least a mid-size. Boston to Buffalo is a long trip in a subcompact, especially when the weather sucks.

As with most everyone else, I'd fly. It's more than worth another hundred bucks, even with renting a sub for a couple days once you get there. If you can play with your dates, you can almost always find better rates. Don't forget to browse for specials and incentives with both the flights and the cars too.

Autodriveaway:

http://www.autodriveaway.com/

I have never tried this mode of transport myself but I know of some friends who did.  The idea is that you are driving another person's car to their desired destination.

Listen to the others, fly if you can...

160569[/snapback]

I have doen this albeit about 12 years back. I was a poor grad student at SUNY and wanted to go to Chicago for spending 2 weeks looking for a job. So problem - no car, no money for airline tics plus I am a cheapie by heart anyway. But I digress...

I looked in the yellow pages for these 'driveaway' companies and found about 5. One of them had a car needed to be 'moved' to Chicago. So I picked it up, drove it, delivered it to their Chicago office, signed paperwork and was only out the $25 for gas (back when it wa ~ $1.1/gallon). It was easy and cheap.