Ricky Stanzi

saundena

Number one, I don't like mock drafts. I think they are a waste of time and certainly all bets are off once that first trade down happens. However, in an effort to get my football fill, I've read a number of the mock drafts posted on TSW. It seems that with the consensus top QB's people either think they will be our savior, or the next Jamarcus Russell. I've also noticed that people who like the top guys think that our beloved team would be better served going with another need at the #3 pack.

Having said all that, it seems that Ricky Stanzi is a guy who most people seem to think can be a good QB for us. The consensus seems to be (even among those of you who have preference for taking Cam, Gabbert, Kloper-blabla) that Stanzi is a very solid pick. So, since I really don't follow College Football, I'm hoping that you can answer my questions:

1. Is Ricky Stanzi the real deal? I've heard him compared to he who's name we won't speak. It rhymes with Dom Grady.

2. Has OBD ever mentioned this guy? Are we scheduled to meet with him during the Combine?

3. What are the chances that we go for this guy?

4. Is it just me, or does the name Ricky Stanzi have moxie?

Is it just me, or does the name Ricky Stanzi have moxie?

Maybe if you're 8 years old or a NASCAR driver…otherwise, I'm not seeing any moxie inherent in the name.

On the other hand, I have a feeling he's gonna rise up boards a bit as April approaches. He's pretty interesting in interviews…has some charisma.

He had a big, "America, love it or leave it" moment during the past season and explained himself very nicely in when asked about it. See Youtube.

Stanzi also led his team to and won Bowl Games in the past two years…beating Missouri and Blaine Gabbert in one and beating Georgia Tech in the other game.

Without checking, it seems that he would score very well in the Parcells criteria.

• He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  • He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  • He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
  • He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

He had a throw at the senior bowl where he was running out to his right with a D lineman right on him, and zinged a 15+ yard frozen rope about 2.5 feet off the ground where only his receiver could get it. Agree about the charisma, IMO he should be a lot higher regarded

I love Ricky Stanzi. I have on this board saying that since at least last October. Like someone posted, he has all of the "adult" things down, like being a senior and a graduate, and he has all the playing numbers down in wins. He can certainly make all of the throws, he is tall (6'4" I think) but is a little light. He could put 10-12 lbs of muscle IMO. He was a starter for around 30 college games at Iowa, and played in some big ones (taking down PSU when they were ranked in the top 7ish a few years back). I think that becaues Kirk Ferentz is not known as a Quarterbacks Guy at Iowa, he hasn't gotten a lot of attention, but I really think he is the most polished, and NFL ready quarterback in this draft. I think his future potential is maybe not as high as some other guys with more measureables like Newton or Gabbert or Mallett, but, he is a guy that reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford when they were coming out. He played in pro-style offense and excelled. Personally, I think he is safest pick at Qb in this draft, albeit not the sexiest. I really want him in Buffalo.

Another thing I noticed about him while watching the YouTube stuff where he beat Missouri and Georgia Tech in bowl games is that he has that high, Jeff Tedford-coached delivery.

Some scouts are critical of this technique but many coaches coach their quarterbacks to hold the ball high.

The small amount of video I saw of him, he looks like he throws with good touch and that he's a pretty polished ball handler…nice footwork and movement, good play fakes, etc.

Right, he doesn't half-arse the ball fakes. He doesn't seem to get the ball knocked down near as much as Gabbert. I can't find any real faults like you can with everyone else. He's not from a spread so you don't have to guess his drop-back ability. The only "dis" I saw on scouting reports is they're not sure he has NFL arm strength, but from what I can tell he throws super hard when he needs to, into tight windows too. I just wonder if there will be another team that sees it this way, and grabs him earlier than everyone thinks. Like mid-second round

I guess you're ignoring his senior season.

Are you referring to that gem at Indiana, or maybe the big numbers he put up against Minnesota? Let's not forget that his team was ranked 9th in the country to start 2010 and ended up losing 4 out of the last 6. I am definetly not sold on that steamer bean!

Edited by Mattygarbage

Mechanically sound QB with great size, good arm, big hands, accurate, and played in a pro style offense. What's not to like about the kid? Locker or Stanzi should be Buffalo's pick. Sit them 2 years behind Fitz and should be ready to go couple years down the line. Gotta love QBs that played in pro style offenses at college.

Edited by DreReed83

Are you referring to that gem at Indiana, or maybe the big numbers he put up against Minnesota? Let's not forget that his team was ranked 9th in the country to start 2010 and ended up losing 4 out of the last 6. I am definetly not sold on that steamer bean!

Well he beat Indiana with 290 yards. He only had 22 attempts vs. Minnesota and zero picks. Compare that to Gabbert, who threw an ugly pick that lost the final game of his career. Ironically against Iowa

Number one, I don't like mock drafts. I think they are a waste of time and certainly all bets are off once that first trade down happens. However, in an effort to get my football fill, I've read a number of the mock drafts posted on TSW. It seems that with the consensus top QB's people either think they will be our savior, or the next Jamarcus Russell. I've also noticed that people who like the top guys think that our beloved team would be better served going with another need at the #3 pack.

Having said all that, it seems that Ricky Stanzi is a guy who most people seem to think can be a good QB for us. The consensus seems to be (even among those of you who have preference for taking Cam, Gabbert, Kloper-blabla) that Stanzi is a very solid pick. So, since I really don't follow College Football, I'm hoping that you can answer my questions:

1. Is Ricky Stanzi the real deal? I've heard him compared to he who's name we won't speak. It rhymes with Dom Grady.

2. Has OBD ever mentioned this guy? Are we scheduled to meet with him during the Combine?

3. What are the chances that we go for this guy?

4. Is it just me, or does the name Ricky Stanzi have moxie?

Will be lucky to stay in the league for more than a few years.

The negatives on Stanzi are that he's 24 years old. His footwork needs work. His arm strength is below average and his throwing motion can have more of a big windup to it as a result, he doesn't just snap the ball out there.

He's a student of the game and a hard worker, but he's physically more of a journeyman QB in the NFL.

The negatives on Stanzi are that he's 24 years old. His footwork needs work. His arm strength is below average and his throwing motion can have more of a big windup to it as a result, he doesn't just snap the ball out there.

He's a student of the game and a hard worker, but he's physically more of a journeyman QB in the NFL.

Physically I think you're mainly questioning his arm strength. Pretty much all the scouting reports say something along the lines of it being questionable. Two thoughts about that...

1) I'm not claiming he has a world class arm but I've definitely seen him "snap" the ball out there. 15-20 yards, in the senior bowl, while running, with a defender right on him.

2) To me, most important ability for a QB is vision and having a "knack" for timing and decisions. Anything you can measure physically are just pluses and minuses that tweak that basic ability. I see it similar to a point guard in basketball.

Physically I think you're mainly questioning his arm strength. Pretty much all the scouting reports say something along the lines of it being questionable. Two thoughts about that...

1) I'm not claiming he has a world class arm but I've definitely seen him "snap" the ball out there. 15-20 yards, in the senior bowl, while running, with a defender right on him.

2) To me, most important ability for a QB is vision and having a "knack" for timing and decisions. Anything you can measure physically are just pluses and minuses that tweak that basic ability. I see it similar to a point guard in basketball.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. He doesn't have the pure NFL arm to fire the ball in a compact throwing motion. That's utterly different than winding up and pitching it like a baseball. Feel free to disagree, but I don't think he's got an NFL arm (and it sounds like a few scouting reports agree) and I wouldn't count on him being a Franchise QB. (FWIW, Tom Brady didn't have a big cannon coming out either, and he developed into an elite QB. But at age 24, if you add 3 years of development time, the window of opportunity on Stanzi is minimized.)