From ESPN.com Page 2

duey

Kind of disorganized tip-of-the-hat to the Bills, or wings, or something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=murphy/041213

"Here at The Hangover, we love the rhythm and poetry of an NFL Sunday.

At 10:09 a.m., Pacific, in Week 14, the following things were true:

Peyton Manning had thrown for a TD in Houston.

Tom Coughlin was P.O.'ed about a call in Baltimore.

Billy Cundiff had missed a field goal in Dallas.

It was gray, snowy and romantic, in a bleu-cheese-dip-and-celery-on-the-side sort of way, in Buffalo.

I had been out of bed for 11 minutes.

Nothing like a quick turn through the DirecTV dial just out of the rack. To paraphrase Robert Duvall in "Apocalypse Now," I love the look of the 700 channels on a Sunday morning. It looks like ... parity.

Of all those images, the most alluring was the drama being played out hard by Lake Erie. Ah, Buffalo. The forgotten NFL city. The city that, if it didn't already have a franchise, wouldn't even make the long list of possible NFL expansion cities. The place where Bruce Smith once said: "It's not the end of the world -- but you can see it from there."

Buffalo, the burg that has no big-league baseball, the village that has no NBA franchise. The town does lay claim to a hockey franchise ... not that anybody notices.

Against that backdrop, The Hangover proposes to officially adopt Buffalo as our very own AFC team -- at least for the next three weeks. (Long-term commitments are overrated.)

Buffalo has much with which to entice us. An 0-4 start for the Bills has turned into a 7-6 record that has them knocking on the playoff door. This would be a remarkable achievement, as I devoted a Week 4 Hangover to the brutal math that faces teams who notch 0-3 starts. I don't have my abacus handy, but NFL history shows that an 0-3 start is as good an omen as having a member of the extended McCown Clan quarterbacking your team.

With the 37-7 horse-whipping of Cleveland secure, and with the Browns gaining fewer yards than the average Buffalo resident consumes in wings at the Anchor Bar and Grill on Any Given Sunday, the Bills are the hottest team in the league that doesn't have a quarterback with a hamburger named after him.

(By the way, I'm completely serious about that Browns/Wings stat. I would stake large amounts of money that more than one bar-dweller downed at least 18 wings at the Anchor on Sunday. Likely, one of those consumers was a Browns fan on a roadie. Probably the guy who wears the dog mask.)

So I invent the Buffalo Corner armed with an invite, and with some history. Reader Travis W. of Buffalo this past week extended a red carpet, saying there is room at the inn. "Buffalo can the Philly of the AFC in your heart," writes Travis, knowing my affinity for the hard-bitten City of Brotherly Love. He adds some ominous words, should Buffalo host a wild-card playoff game: "Hell hath no fury," writes Travis, "like Ralph Wilson Stadium in January."

As for personal history, it was at the very Anchor Bar and Grill where I learned, from a family of Buffalo-raised Italians, just exactly how to eat a wing. It's a thing. There's no nibbling. There's no dillying, no dallying. You take the wing, dip it in bleu cheese, insert the entire thing in your mouth, slowly turn it counter-clockwise, and suck ALL of the meat off it before the bone leaves your mouth.

Should you remove the wing and leave meat on the bone?

Dude, you're a Jets fan.

So, welcome to the Buffalo Corner Era at The Hangover.

Enjoy a high-flying, high-scoring squad. Watch Willis McGahee run. Root for Drew Bledsoe as the Jim Plunkett of the 21st Century. Admire the big hair of the chick next to you in her Andre Reed gamer. Have a wing.

Life, after all, is too short to leave meat on the bone."

;)

This was just too funny... he IS making fun of us, but this line was GREAT:

"Admire the big hair of the chick next to you in her Andre Reed gamer"

158625[/snapback]

It is funny, and to tell you the truth it's all true. There wasn't a thing in his article that isn't true, insults and all. We can accept it, own it, and love it or whine about it.

I'll take the big hair of the girl next to me over the obnoxious tard next to me in New Jersey (Jets), or the half-interested yuppie goof in Carolina.

This was just too funny... he IS making fun of us, but this line was GREAT:

"Admire the big hair of the chick next to you in her Andre Reed gamer"

158625[/snapback]

The funny thing is the people who found this column offensive fall into the category of the above quote. Either that or you are married to her. The rest of us just nod our heads, agree and smile.