Super Bowl XLV

I know that there are a decent amount of sports gamblers on this site that will be putting a lot of action on the big game Sunday, and the Super Bowl usually tempts the non-addicts out of the closet for a day to do some betting too. Most places have the line at Green Bay -2.5, with the Over/Under at between 44 and 45. Who is everyone liking to cover on Sunday? Thoughts on the total points? Any good player or team prop bets that you like? I am already on the Pack -2.5 for a pretty good amount, and will add a bunch of prop bets before game time to have a little more fun with it. I think Green Bay is going to abuse the Steelers offensive line, especially without Pouncey, and Rodgers and the Packs' playmakers will take advantage of a Pitt secondary that is very shaky right now IMO. I do not think Polomalu has recovered from the achilles injury quite yet. Don't know about the over/under. I like both offenses, especially indoors and on turf, but the long two week layoff generally favors the defenses due to all the time to game plan and the offenses usually start very slow. The recent BCS Championship is living proof of that. Those are some of my thoughts so far. Still 6 days away to confirm or second guess everything a million times though. What is everyone else thinking about wagering Sunday?

I know that there are a decent amount of sports gamblers on this site that will be putting a lot of action on the big game Sunday, and the Super Bowl usually tempts the non-addicts out of the closet for a day to do some betting too. Most places have the line at Green Bay -2.5, with the Over/Under at between 44 and 45. Who is everyone liking to cover on Sunday? Thoughts on the total points? Any good player or team prop bets that you like? I am already on the Pack -2.5 for a pretty good amount, and will add a bunch of prop bets before game time to have a little more fun with it. I think Green Bay is going to abuse the Steelers offensive line, especially without Pouncey, and Rodgers and the Packs' playmakers will take advantage of a Pitt secondary that is very shaky right now IMO. I do not think Polomalu has recovered from the achilles injury quite yet. Don't know about the over/under. I like both offenses, especially indoors and on turf, but the long two week layoff generally favors the defenses due to all the time to game plan and the offenses usually start very slow. The recent BCS Championship is living proof of that. Those are some of my thoughts so far. Still 6 days away to confirm or second guess everything a million times though. What is everyone else thinking about wagering Sunday?

Already have the Pack at -2.5, as you know.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My original thought is to put money on the Pack & lay the points. Hopefully the line stays under 3. Now I am starting to think the Steelers maybe the way to go. They have been there before & BR is a big game QB. Rodgers has not played in a game of this magnitude ever. If I do decide to take the Steelers I am going to take the money line & screw the points. I will probably end up going with the Pack though since the guys I am going down to Vegas with this weekend all like them & I do not want to be the odd man having money on the Steelers & routing against my friends at the Sports book.

My original thought is to put money on the Pack & lay the points. Hopefully the line stays under 3. Now I am starting to think the Steelers maybe the way to go. They have been there before & BR is a big game QB. Rodgers has not played in a game of this magnitude ever. If I do decide to take the Steelers I am going to take the money line & screw the points. I will probably end up going with the Pack though since the guys I am going down to Vegas with this weekend all like them & I do not want to be the odd man having money on the Steelers & routing against my friends at the Sports book.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that the Steelers and most importantly Roethlisberger have been there twice before. That being said, I think the Packers have responded to every challenge that has been thrown their way this year, overcoming A TON of key injuries all season and beating a ton of very good teams along the way. 3 road playoff games in very difficult places to play against quality teams shows that Rodgers is just fine with playing in big games in tough atmospheres. Obviously there is no home field advantage for them to deal with this time around, and I think the fast track of Texas Stadium plays into Green Bays hands big time. I think they will spread them out all game long and kill the Steelers secondary. It just feels like it is Rodgers time right now. By the way, the line has moved to 3 in a number of places, and I think that will continue, so get it at 2.5 if you still can. I already have done so.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

Yeah, I originally thought when the line came out by gametime it was going to go down to about an even game but it looks like it is going the other way. This Pouncey injury kinda threw a wrinkle into that. We shall see what the line is this weekend but I will probably end up going with the Pack.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that the Steelers and most importantly Roethlisberger have been there twice before. That being said, I think the Packers have responded to every challenge that has been thrown their way this year, overcoming A TON of key injuries all season and beating a ton of very good teams along the way. 3 road playoff games in very difficult places to play against quality teams shows that Rodgers is just fine with playing in big games in tough atmospheres. Obviously there is no home field advantage for them to deal with this time around, and I think the fast track of Texas Stadium plays into Green Bays hands big time. I think they will spread them out all game long and kill the Steelers secondary. It just feels like it is Rodgers time right now. By the way, the line has moved to 3 in a number of places, and I think that will continue, so get it at 2.5 if you still can. I already have done so.

Any advice on the college basketball? I have been doing pretty good this year so far. Been hammering against a few teams. Been going against Wake Forest, Auburn, Niagara, Eastern Michigan, Toledo & of course my favorite Depaul(they can not make the lines high enough for that team.) Going to betting a ton of it this weekend, any insight would be appreciated.

Any advice on the college basketball? I have been doing pretty good this year so far. Been hammering against a few teams. Been going against Wake Forest, Auburn, Niagara, Eastern Michigan, Toledo & of course my favorite Depaul(they can not make the lines high enough for that team.) Going to betting a ton of it this weekend, any insight would be appreciated.

I did a pretty good deal of college ball betting in the past, but the past two years I have been much more focused on the NBA. I have a lot easier time capping the NBA the past couple of seasons, rather than college ball, so I wouldn't want to give bad NCAA advice. For the NBA I'm on the Clippers laying the 4 tonight at home against the Bucks. The Clips haven't lost a home game in a month, and the Bucks aren't a great road team and are playing their 3rd game in 4 nights with the off day traveling from Milwaukee to LA. The Bucks also needed OT to beat the Raptors (Who are a disaster right now) in Toronto two games ago, and Brandon Jennings is still not healthy.

I did a pretty good deal of college ball betting in the past, but the past two years I have been much more focused on the NBA. I have a lot easier time capping the NBA the past couple of seasons, rather than college ball, so I wouldn't want to give bad NCAA advice. For the NBA I'm on the Clippers laying the 4 tonight at home against the Bucks. The Clips haven't lost a home game in a month, and the Bucks aren't a great road team and are playing their 3rd game in 4 nights with the off day traveling from Milwaukee to LA. The Bucks also needed OT to beat the Raptors (Who are a disaster right now) in Toronto two games ago, and Brandon Jennings is still not healthy.

Yeah, that makes sense I just can not get into watching the NBA for some reason. I will play a game here & there but really do not follow it. I am going to take your advice & put $50 on the Clippers tonight.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Pack is being oversold. The Steelers are more rugged and if they are able to knock Rodgers just a little out of his comfort zone, Green Bay could have a lot of trouble scoring (they'll have no run game at all). I think Pittsburgh pulls out a win in the big spot as usual.

Steelers: 23-17

Edited by KD in CT

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Pack is being oversold. The Steelers are more rugged and if they are able to knock Rodgers just a little out of his comfort zone, Green Bay could have a lot of trouble scoring (they'll have no run game at all). I think Pittsburgh pulls out a win in the big spot as usual.

Steelers: 23-17

I think the Steelers offensive line is a real weak spot of the team, especially in pass blocking. With the Pro-Bowl Pouncey not being able to go, it makes it even more of a problem. If GB can stop the run, get to Big Ben early, and convert on third downs (which seems to be Rodgers strong point), I think they'll have a damn good shot at wearing down the physical Pitt Defense...

...but then again, isn't that every teams game plan? :D

...but then again, isn't that every teams game plan? :D

My favorite quote ever: "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth" --Mike Tyson

I think it's pretty easy in this case to draw up a realistic senario for either team's success on Sunday. I guess that's why they play the game!

:)

Nice call on the Clippers last night. Nice way to start off the week. Probably going to lay low until saturday but as always the insight was much appreciated.

He just got lucky, he pretends to know what he's doing...just wait till he has a few beers, he'll be betting anything that sounds remotely interesting. :devil:

He just got lucky, he pretends to know what he's doing...just wait till he has a few beers, he'll be betting anything that sounds remotely interesting. :devil:

LOL, hey whatever, he sounds like a younger version of me. Saturday I always tell myself at noon "let's pinpoint a couple games & take it easy today". Then the next thing I know I have a few too many pops & end up betting 25-30 games & I am trying to decide who I should bet in the UCIrvine/Cal Fullerton game because that is the only game going at 11 at night.

LOL, hey whatever, he sounds like a younger version of me. Saturday I always tell myself at noon "let's pinpoint a couple games & take it easy today". Then the next thing I know I have a few too many pops & end up betting 25-30 games & I am trying to decide who I should bet in the UCIrvine/Cal Fullerton game because that is the only game going at 11 at night.

Haha, I know I'm just messing with him. That's usually what happens with us. We're usually tailgating at the Bills game saying were not gonna bet much, then 12:30 rolls around and everybody's had more than their share of the Blue's and all of a sudden there's 500$ rolling on the Bills, haha.

Nice call on the Clippers last night. Nice way to start off the week. Probably going to lay low until saturday but as always the insight was much appreciated.

Yeah the Clips came up big in the 4th a couple nights ago for us. I thought Maggette was going to single-handidly cost the cover but that was a NICE run to end the game. And don't listen to this Wooderson guy, he knows who's making the money betting in this group of friends haha....If you have any college insight I'll always take a free winner in return... :D

Yeah the Clips came up big in the 4th a couple nights ago for us. I thought Maggette was going to single-handidly cost the cover but that was a NICE run to end the game. And don't listen to this Wooderson guy, he knows who's making the money betting in this group of friends haha....If you have any college insight I'll always take a free winner in return... :D

Will do. There are some real bad teams out there this year in the BCS conferences & the lines are just starting to get adjusted. Take Wake Forest last night they were getting 21 pts against Florida St. FSU is decent but their at best 6-7 seed in the tourney. For them to be giving up that many points to a conference foe is ridiculous. But.... they ended up covering.

Will do. There are some real bad teams out there this year in the BCS conferences & the lines are just starting to get adjusted. Take Wake Forest last night they were getting 21 pts against Florida St. FSU is decent but their at best 6-7 seed in the tourney. For them to be giving up that many points to a conference foe is ridiculous. But.... they ended up covering.

Wow. Like I said, I haven't been following NCAA action as closely this year than in years past, but its tough to imagine a 21 point spread in an ACC game like that unless its a Duke home game. Pretty crazy stuff. By the way, its beginning to look like the Cavs are the NBA version of your take on Butler. Can't give them enough points...