Missed DT Pick That Cost the Bills the Super Bowl

Buroughs was really coming on as a solid corner when he got injured but I don't recall our CBs hurting us in Super Bowl XXV?

I would have like to have Don Bebee in the game.

I think the Bills we just way too slow to adjust. For most of the game we ran the offense that they schemed for. We played it like they expected. All we had to do was hand the ball to Therman and that would have forced them to go back to their standard 3-4. Then we could throw. We could have racked up big points had we played the second quarter like we played the 4th. Once we established a two TD lead their 3 yards and a cloud of dust slow ball offense becomes a liability to them.

If Burroughs doesn't get injured, Polian stacks the d line with the JD Williams pick, possibly via trade.

He died after the Bills' 2nd Super Bowl, so obviously he couldn't have changed things in Super Bowl XXVII or XXVIII.

OK...let's take this a different direction...He died in a car accident...had Buffalo drafted him, circumstances would have been different and chances are he would not have been driving where he was at that time and, in hindsight, maybe Jerome would still be with us. Hmmmm....

This was my post and it was admittedly a pretty dumb one. I guess the point I was trying to make that still has some relevance to today's team is that the Bills have a history of not really understanding what makes a 3-4 defense work. It's not that complicated - huge run-stuffing NT that can clog the middle and athletic, versatile OLB who can rush the passer as well as cover. Easier said than done. But it's painful that no one recognized how good Bruce Smith was and decided to build the defense around him. Yeah, he had an unbeleivable career but it would have been even better in a 4-3. He wouldn't be ranked behind Reggie White. The only time we "got it" was when Bulter brought in Ted Washington and Bryce Paup. Perfect. As to today's team, Kyle Williams is a good player but not at the nose. Move him to end. If Troup isn't the answer at NT, find one. I like the Merriman signing. It shows what we need. Go draft Fairly, Dareus or Quinn. Good nose and two quality OLBs and we will be in business.

The only part of this thread that makes any sense is Polian not choosing the right coach. It was Marv who was outcoached by three future HOF coaches. While he may have let his coordinators run the show he should have forced them to change the game plan especially against the Giants. But I know we can't blame Marv for anything.

OK...let's take this a different direction...He died in a car accident...had Buffalo drafted him, circumstances would have been different and chances are he would not have been driving where he was at that time and, in hindsight, maybe Jerome would still be with us. Hmmmm....

Does that mean whomever the Eagles drafted instead would have died in a car accident to keep the universe in balance?

The only part of this thread that makes any sense is Polian not choosing the right coach. It was Marv who was outcoached by three future HOF coaches. While he may have let his coordinators run the show he should have forced them to change the game plan especially against the Giants. But I know we can't blame Marv for anything.

Does that mean whomever the Eagles drafted instead would have died in a car accident to keep the universe in balance?

Either that or some "Final Destination" stuff would have occurred and he would have been electrocuted by a wayward live wire while visiting the Niagra Falls.

Not quite. Jerome Brown died in a car accident, but not quite what you're thinking. I believe Brown was outside in his front yard near the road, and a wayward car struck and killed him. He was not in a car at the time, and he was at his offseason home. Could've happened if he played for the Bills or anyone else. While on the subject of DT's we didn't have for the superbowl, we missed out on getting Ted Washington in the 1991 draft by one pick. SF drafted him with the 26th pick, one before Buffalo on the basis of our runner up finish in Supe25. He was the guy Polian wanted, but the 49ers foiled his plan. How different do those next 3 bowls look with big Ted in the middle? He was a beast when we got him four years later, but the Bills were getting older and starting to slide.