After next Sunday we will know

Mikie2times

Next Sunday is a huge week for us, not only do we have a very difficult game at Cincinnati, but nearly every team ahead of us has a difficult game. We still need to take care of our end and catch some breaks, the problem is the amount of games on the schedule is dwindling and we need the other contenders to lose now. Win or lose, we will know next weekend if we have a shot at this thing.

Here is a quick review of next weeks action and why each game is so important

Buffalo at Cincinnati 1:00pm- 10/10 on the importance meter, again we need to get to 10-6, the path to that record leads directly threw a talented Cincinnati team. It should be the last major hurdle until the final week.

Baltimore at Indianapolis 8:30pm- 10/10 on the importance meter, we need two Baltimore losses with three to play. Their other opponents include a suddenly vunerable Steelers team and a feisty Miami squad. Don't count on Feeley being able to lead the fish to victory against this Baltimore defense. A Baltimore win in this game and you can pretty rule out us passing them.

Seattle at Jets 1:00pm- 10/10 on the importance meter, while my rating may seem high consider this. If the Jets lose this game they must win their final two against New England and the Rams, a loss to Seattle virtually guarantees us passing them. With the uncertainty of the other contenders this could be the most likely back door way into the playoffs.

Denver at KC 1:00pm- 9/10 on the importance meter, Denver plays KC, Titans, and finishes with the Colts. We need two losses from those games and with the uncertainty surrounding the Colt starters in the final week this game becomes a must lose in our book. It is very possible that Denver could lose to the Titans, but needing them to finish the season with consecutive losses is difficult to envision.

Jacksonville at Green Bay 4:15pm- 8/10 on the importance meter, Jacksonville needs one more loss and after Green Bay they have games against Houston, and Oakland. Obviously Lambeau in the winter is their most difficult remaining game. For awhile we excluded Jacksonville from the must lose category but time is running out. We can't bet on a roller coaster Houston team, or a mediocre Oakland team to get the job done.

As you can see we should have a good idea of our chances after next weekend.

Reserving judgement on our game, I see...

Indy over Baltimore.

Jets over Seattle.

KC over Denver.

Green Bay over Jax.

That would put us in great shape for the playoffs I believe, as long as we come out of Cincy with a win. I expect the Chiefs to roll over Denver, big time. The Broncos are a confused team, they BARELY managed to subdue the Dolphins in Denver yesterday.

I have a question:

It seems people are saying the Jets need to win their final 2 games if they lose this Sunday vs Seattle...why is this?  Would Buffalo beat the Jets in a tie-breaker?  And how would they??  Just curious

158051[/snapback]

Conference tiebreakers don't apply within the division, in division play the playoff tiebreakers go like this.

1. Head to Head

2. Division Record

3. Common Games

Since we split the series with the Jets move onto tie breaker #2. If the Jets get beat by New England they will be 3-3 in the division and tied with us, move on to scenario #3. We hold the common games tiebreaker over the Jets if we win out, so if the Jets lose to the Patriots and lose either the Seattle or St Louis game we will pass them.

Reserving judgement on our game, I see...

Indy over Baltimore.

Jets over Seattle.

KC over Denver.

Green Bay over Jax.

That would put us in great shape for the playoffs I believe, as long as we come out of Cincy with a win.  I expect the Chiefs to roll over Denver, big time.  The Broncos are a confused team, they BARELY managed to subdue the Dolphins in Denver yesterday.

158062[/snapback]

I would agree on those predictions, I also think Seattle has a chance against the Jets. If they can stop the run it could be a interesting game especially after a confidence building road win yesterday at Minnesota.

I'm feeling a little uneasy about the Green Bay game only because of the dominance shown by the AFC this year. That said Green Bay is still a very difficult place to win at in December.

Good comments but I disagree with your importance meters.

The Jags & Ravens need to lose the most because of their respective schedules. The Jags aren't losing after next week and like you said Balt isn't losing to Miami. Those are both 10/10 IMO.

Next is Denver, because the Colts will probably lay down in week 17. That's maybe a 9/10.

If I had to live with one of our competitors winning it'd be the Jets, just because they would still have a reasonable chance of losing their last 2 games.

Conference tiebreakers don't apply within the division, in division play the playoff tiebreakers go like this.

1. Head to Head

2. Division Record

3. Common Games

Since we split the series with the Jets move onto tie breaker #2. If the Jets get beat by New England they will be 3-3 in the division and tied with us, move on to scenario #3.  We hold the common games tiebreaker over the Jets if we win out, so if the Jets lose to the Patriots and lose either the Seattle or St Louis game we will pass them.

158074[/snapback]

Wow, I did not realize that, excellent post KzooMike, thanks for the information!!!

The Jags & Ravens need to lose the most because of their respective schedules.  The Jags aren't losing after next week and like you said Balt isn't losing to Miami.  Those are both 10/10 IMO. 

Next is Denver, because the Colts will probably lay down in week 17.  That's maybe a 9/10.

If I had to live with one of our competitors winning it'd be the Jets, just because they would still have a reasonable chance of losing their last 2 games.

158087[/snapback]

I had the Ravens at 10/10 and the Broncos at 9/10 like you posted. As for the lower mark for the Jaguars game I feel that they still stand a chance to lose against Houston or Oakland. They got their first big win of the year against a putrid Chicago team. They play every game close, and have pulled of some miracle wins all year long. Houston definitely has a chance to beat Jacksonville.

Jacksonville at Green Bay 4:15pm- 8/10 on the importance meter, Jacksonville needs one more loss and after Green Bay they have games against Houston, and Oakland. Obviously Lambeau in the winter is their most difficult remaining game. For awhile we excluded Jacksonville from the must lose category but time is running out. We can't bet on a roller coaster Houston team, or a mediocre Oakland team to get the job done. 

158038[/snapback]

Actually, I'd rate this at least a 9/10. This is probably the BEST chance for Jacksonville to lose. I don't see Houston or Oakland beating them.

The Jags & Ravens need to lose the most because of their respective schedules.  The Jags aren't losing after next week and like you said Balt isn't losing to Miami.  Those are both 10/10 IMO. 

Next is Denver, because the Colts will probably lay down in week 17.  That's maybe a 9/10.

158087[/snapback]

The colts and the bolts are both 10-3 and fighting for the 3rd seed...I don't

see how they will rest their starters in week 17 if that issue is not decided

by then...

The colts and the bolts are both 10-3 and fighting for the 3rd seed...I don't

see how they will rest their starters in week 17 if that issue is not decided

by then...

158191[/snapback]

Colts and Bolts play each other in week 16. So if the Colts win that game and next week's game, they clinch the #3 seed. They won't be able to get a bye unless NE/Pitt collapses. The Colts have a MUCH MUCH MUCH better chance of resting their starters than the Steelers do.