My view of the Bills' playoff chances

I think the Bills are very much alive, not on the outer fringes of playoff contention, assuming we win out. We got what we needed to get today. We got a Bills win and a Jets loss, which is all we could reasonably expect.

Let's keep in mind that we do not need any major upsets to occur in order to make the playoffs. If most of the games simply fall the way the oddsmakers say they should, we are close to where we need to be. Take a look.

The Bills need to win out. They will likely be slight favorites vs. Cincy and heavy favorites vs. the 49ers. Pitt will be a slight favorite coming to Buffalo. Then we need 3 of the following 4 things to happen (bold indicates the team is likely to be an underdog in that game, italics indicates an even game):

Jax lose 1 out of 3 ( @Green Bay, Houston, @Oakland)

Bal lose 2 out of 3 ( @Indy, @Pitt, Miami)

Denver lose 2 out of 3 ( @Kansas City, @Tenn, Indy)

Jets lose 2 out of 3 ( Seattle, New England, @St. Louis)

Obviously the games won't go exactly according to the Vegas lines, but I think you see my point. We are not counting on major underdogs knocking off elite teams.

If the Bills win out, I think we have at least a 50-50 shot. I also think the odds are very good that we will be very much alive going into the final week of the season, which will make that Pitt game a whole lot of fun.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. I appreciate the very well planned out playoff scenarios.

I think there is a very good chance Denver will lose to either Tennessee or Kansas City. The Broncos havent been playing that well as of late and those are still 2 places that are very touhg to win at. Mainly KC, rivalry games at this time of year, regardless of the teams records are tough, on the road.

I think Jacksonville has run its course. They are a good team, but their remaining schedule works in our favor.

To me the true problem is Baltimore. They have their offense has improved a bit over the past few weeks. I still think they will have a problem winning their next 2 games but I am concerned. If They win at least one of their last 3, then we're screwed.

It is going to be a very, very interesting 3 weeks.

To me the true problem is Baltimore.  They have their offense has improved a bit over the past few weeks.  I still think they will have a problem winning their next 2 games but I am concerned.  If They win at least one of their last 3, then we're screwed. 

It is going to be a very, very interesting 3 weeks.

157676[/snapback]

No, the Ravens can win one of the last three. They just can't win 2.

Next week is an absolute monster in the Bills' season.

We can eliminate Cinci.

Baltimore should lose at Indy.

Jacksonville should lose at Green Bay.

Denver should lose at KC.

And the Jets are only a minor favorite to beat Seattle.

Big fun in mid-December again?

Hold on to your hats folks!!!

We can eliminate Cinci.

Denver should lose at Green Bay.

157690[/snapback]

Exactly. It's just fun to be in the hunt this late in the season. It feels like so long ago that we've had a late-season surge like this.

No, the Ravens can win one of the last three.  They just can't win 2.

157682[/snapback]

Well if the Ravens win one of their last 3 they will end up 10-6, same record as the Bills. The have the tiebreaker advantage on the Bills. So if we are fighting for that last wild card spot with the Ravens. So how do you figure that they can afford to lose only on game? Unless we somehow end up with the other wild card spotm which is unlikely considering the jets schedules.

We can eliminate Cinci.

Denver should lose at Green Bay.

157690[/snapback]

Jacksonville is the team that's playing next week in Green Bay. If they lose that game, we don't have to worry about them anymore. Denver has away games at KC and Tennessee before finishing the season at home against Indianapolis.

Jacksonville is the team that's playing next week in Green Bay. If they lose that game, we don't have to worry about them anymore. Denver has away games at KC and Tennessee before finishing the season at home against Indianapolis.

157753[/snapback]

That will be a tough win for the Jags cause it's going to be freaking cold up there!

Well considering how we started, it's encouraging that we're at least we're still talking about playoffs <_<

I just have a feeling, call it a hunch, that if the Bills finish 10-6 they will make the playoffs. For that reason, I am trying hard not to pay attention to the other games. The scenarios will drive you crazy.

Besides, if the Bills do go 10-6 and don't make the playoffs, they will be in GREAT shape in terms of momentum for '05.

That will be a tough win for the Jags cause it's going to be freaking cold up there!

Well considering how we started, it's encouraging that we're at least we're still talking about playoffs  <_<

157765[/snapback]

It will indeed be cold . . . as cold as Hillary Clinton in bed. :unsure:

We can eliminate Cinci.

Jacksonville should lose at Green Bay.

Denver should lose at KC.

157690[/snapback]

But you know darn well those 5 scenarios will not all happen. There are always upsets. I just hope we beat Cinci. I know out of Balt, Jax and Den,,,,at least one, maybe two will win next week.

But you know darn well those 5 scenarios will not all happen.  There are always upsets.  I just hope we beat Cinci.  I know out of Balt, Jax and Den,,,,at least one, maybe two will win next week.

157772[/snapback]

There weren't any upsets this week, why should there be next week?

But you know darn well those 5 scenarios will not all happen.  There are always upsets.  I just hope we beat Cinci.  I know out of Balt, Jax and Den,,,,at least one, maybe two will win next week.

157772[/snapback]

There is always a chance that four of them will happen, but I'm really not expecting Seattle to do anything against the Jets.

There is always a chance that four of them will happen, but I'm really not expecting Seattle to do anything against the Jets.

157780[/snapback]

I'll take any 4, as long as one of them is JAX losing.

There weren't any upsets this week, why should there be next week?

157779[/snapback]

Just because there were no upsets this week doesn't guarantee anything about next week. There is a small chance all five scenarios could happen. Then again, there is a small chance that only zero or one of them will happen.