Jason LaCanfora on a rookie cap

Ramius

If there's a rookie salary cap put in place and it is way less money than the past few years, wouldn't the teams "reach" and gamble more on a player in the draft because the cap hit won't sting nearly as much?

Hey... if you're thinking risk/reward, the risk is way down from where it was. You might be able to take a chance on a Cam Newton at #1... or even a Fig Newton.

Yes, unless the NFLPA successfully adds a reduced College Requirement. Then you have younger/riskier players entering the draft.

I would say reducing risk is a major motivation for the owners, probably more than the amount of money that they spend (I don't believe their claims of crying poor.)

For example Detroit has tons of money tied up in Stafford, Stafford can't stay healthy, the risk there is huge as far as % salary cap goes if he can't get on the field.(Yes there was no salary cap in 2010, but there will very likely be some type of cap in the new CBA.{If the Lions don't add some O-Line for Stafford in 2011 Stafford should sue the Lions for attempted homicide.})

Matt Ryan, and Bradford appear to have worked out but the cap risk was huge if they busted.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Music to Ralph Wilson's ears. I can see it now Wilson celebrating with a cup of warm milk and oatmeal cookies.

It should be music to all fans of the NFL (unless you happen to be an upcoming high draft pick.)

Would this lower or raise the value of the top 10 picks? The argument can go both way. Why would teams spend the cash to pickup a player this year when next year the contracts for the 2012 rookies is going to be way less? But, it might bring more talent into the draft this year raising the picks value. Is there even football next year? :beer: Oh offseason....

Pay attention. There will be no difference in 2011 and 2012.