INSIGHT BOWL TONIGHT 10ET/9CT

Stl Bills

I Don't think Gabbert or Smith will declare this year but it remains possible.....

FOR MIZZOU:

Blaine Gabbert 6ft 5in 240lbs Junior

Ok so a lot of people here know that I'm probably the biggest homer on the board when it comes to my Mizzou Tigers but even I am not sold on Gabbert as an elite QB. He might have the best physical tools in all of the draft but he's got a case of the "happy feet" and doesn't step up in the pocket and set his feet when he throws. The guy is almost as big as Mallet, has a cannon for an arm, and can run like Locker but for whatever reason has never seemed to be able to put it all together. He reminds me of a bigger version of JP Losman with less accuracy on the deep ball :o . Even as a huge Mizzou fan, I'm really weary of Blaine Gabbert being a quality NFL QB. I hope he proves me wrong but I hope the Bills avoid him if they decide to go for a QB (if he even declares).

Aldon Smith DE 6ft 6in 260lbs Redshirt Sophmore

Aldon is a beast. This is the best NFL prospect to ever come out of Mizzou IMO. His production is down a little this year but its more than understandable because he fractured his fibia and missed 3 games this year. If he declares, he is the best pass rushing DE in the draft. A lot of scouts say he is undersized but he def. has room to bulk up his long frame. He played at around 225-235 as a redshirt freshman but bulked up to 260lbs this past year.

From nflmocks.com:

Pros:

Aldon Smith burst onto the scene last season as one of the top pass rushers in College Football. His 19 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks were truly remarkable. Smith has an excellent burst off the line of scrimmage and using good snap recognition to get a jump on most plays. This jump allows him to catch a lot of offensive linemen off guard as he flies past them into the backfield. Smith has freakishly long arms which allow him to keep himself free from blocks and unleash his devastating swim move. He also utilizes his size and long arms to bat down attempted passes. The attribute that stands out the most is his high motor. Smith is always going 100% and that allows him to exploit some lazy offensive linemen. Watch the attached video and you will see the talent and potential Smith has as a pass rusher.

Cons:

Right now it seems that Smith is getting by on pure athleticism, his swim move, and high motor. He needs to continue to develop different pass rush moves as offenses figure out how to limit the effectiveness of his swim move. The biggest concern when you talk about Smith projecting to the NFL is his strength and bulk. He is going to be stuck with the tweener label because he doesn’t have enough bulk to stand up against the bigger offensive linemen. At 260lbs teams will likely be asking Smith to convert to outside linebacker and mainly for the 3-4 defensive scheme. This is going to be a transition for Smith as he hasn’t been asked to drop into coverage while at Missouri. When I look at Smith I quickly compare him to the Bills Aaron Maybin. Was in a similar situation as Smith in that he burst onto the scene as an undersized defensive end. Last season he struggled and is now being asked to convert to outside linebacker. The top reason for the conversion for Smith will be because of questions surrounding his ability to stuff the run. I think that being in the Big 12 hurts his stock a little because the majority of the teams do not employ a power run attack so he wont be able to prove the doubter wrong. The spread offenses allow him to pin his ears back and focus on getting into the backfield.

Here's another article on Aldon that was written going into this season:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Coming-Attractions-Sizing-up-Mizzou-s-Aldon-Smi?urn=ncaaf-229133

For Iowa:

Ricky Stanzi

Adrian Claybourne

I don't know much about the Hawkeye players other than what I've read on the internet. I've seen a few games but I'll leave it to an Iowa guy to right up what they think about the Hawkeye prospects.

Edited by Stl Bills

Well Gabbert is making me eat my words. Thats kind of his problem though, he has games where he looks awesome and then a few forgettable ones. I think another year would do him a lot of good.

Edited by Stl Bills

Well Gabbert is making me eat my words. Thats kind of his problem though, he has games where he looks awesome and then a few forgettable ones. I think another year would do him a lot of good.

Strong arm & decent accuracy eh? Just hit a 15 yard out and the ball got there in a hurry.

My father went to Iowa so I'm a big Hawkeyes fan and thought we would do well to draft Stanzi in the fourth round or so. Glad Iowa won but thought Gabbert looked really good, all the tools, outside of a couple buddy passes and the intterception at the end that he should have thrown away. I've been hoping we go defense if Luck isn't there when we draft but wouldn't mind if we take Gabbert in the first. Stanzi may have a long career as a back up but can't build a team around him.