Fitz, next 3 games  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What does he need to do to lock himself in

• Win all 3 games
    • Win at least 2 games
    • Win at least 1 game
    • Bills competitive in all 3 games
    • Bills competitive in at least 2 games

We've had a lot of discussion about Fitzpatrick, whether he's our QB of the future, whether we need to draft someone in Round 1 and so on...

I would submit that regardless of all the hoopla thus far, the next 3 games all against division rivals that we've performed poorly against the last few years will determine how the Bills should proceed with him. He's under contract through next year, so if he's going to be THE MAN then two things will happen from that:

-- He needs to be resigned in the off-season to a substantial contract (think Matt Schaub)

-- Draft plans most likely no long involve a QB in the first 3 rounds

So the question is: What do we need to see over the next 3 games in order to proceed in that fashion?

-- How many games MUST we win?

-- MUST we be competitive in all three, including New England (ie no more Minnesota duds?

-- How MUST the offense perform in these games?

-- Can injuries on OL and WR be an excuse if Offense doesn't play well?

For the Bills now everything is about optimism and confidence for the future and what pieces are in place. Right NOW we feel it, that's great, but if the next three games don't go well, then all the optimism we feel now will have been shattered.

Have at it...

Edited by cage

Personally, I don't need to see much more. I'd like to see them competitive in all 3 games (i.e., no clunkers like we saw in Minnesota), but I don't see Fitz's performance doing much to change his status. Unless he DOES lay an egg, then I don't see the Bills going for an early-round QB.

We've had a lot of discussion about Fitzpatrick, whether he's our QB of the future, whether we need to draft someone in Round 1 and so on...

I would submit that regardless of all the hoopla thus far, the next 3 games all against division rivals that we've performed poorly against the last few years will determine how the Bills should proceed with him. He's under contract through next year, so if he's going to be THE MAN then two things will happen from that:

-- He needs to be resigned in the off-season to a substantial contract (think Matt Schaub)

So the question is: What do we need to see over the next 3 games in order to proceed in that fashion?

-- MUST we be competitive in all three, including New England (ie no more Minnesota duds?

For the Bills now everything is about optimism and confidence for the future and what pieces are in place. Right NOW we feel it, that's great, but if the next three games don't go well, then all the optimism we feel now will have been shattered.

Have at it...

His best WRs are gone. The O line is a bit messed up. Three division teams in a row. Bills will have a very hard time running the ball in all three games. So, my criteria is this: pass for more than 200 yards per game with no more than 2 INTS across all three games. He does that, he's my guy. Win lose or draw.

We have Good QB and with a better O-Line he will closer to great, So All those out there who think that we need A QB out of the draft to replace Fitz come next season dont think about that. Building around Fitz = wins :thumbsup: . building a rookie around a shoddy O-Line = another year of the same long garbage :wallbash: .So they either rebuild the O-Line or they rebuild the O-Line and rookie QB :oops:

Personally, I don't need to see much more. I'd like to see them competitive in all 3 games (i.e., no clunkers like we saw in Minnesota), but I don't see Fitz's performance doing much to change his status. Unless he DOES lay an egg, then I don't see the Bills going for an early-round QB.

I definitely disagree with that.

If he won all three games in the division to close out and threw for 300 yards plus in two of them with 5-6 TD passes and 0-1 INTs he would get a big, fat contract and be declared QB our long-term solution at QB.

Conversely, if we lose all three games and he can't get base 150yds/game with 0-1 TD passes and 5-6 INTs then everything that's happened with him till now would be forgotten, every article in the press and discussion on this board would be about which QB we're drafting with our Top 5 pick.

With both of these extreme scenarios unlikely, the question is where does he have to fall in-between there??

His best WRs are gone. The O line is a bit messed up. Three division teams in a row. Bills will have a very hard time running the ball in all three games. So, my criteria is this: pass for more than 200 yards per game with no more than 2 INTS across all three games. He does that, he's my guy. Win lose or draw.

I agree with the sentiment, especially the bit about 3 division games in a row. How have we done against these division opponents in the past decade? Fitz could be a bona fide 'franchise qb' (like Bledsoe was!) and still look completely inneffectual against them. All 3 teams will be playing for the postseason.

I say he's ok as long as he lays a complete egg no more than once.

I think a good performance in the last three games would get a few more on board, but then again we could win each game by 28 and Fitz play great and still some will think we still need to draft a QB in the first round. I think they are kidding themselves thinking we'll get another Payton Manning. Do you watch other games every QB throws bad passes and horrible picks (except Brady). Is he inaccurate - yes at times but if your going to point out he's off target at times then you also have to notice he runs very well and he's tough as hell. In my opinion his biggest positive is his throws on third down rarely does he dump to the TE or FB in the flat on third and nine. A completion percentage of 58-59 might be a little low compared to the 61-62 we all want, but I wouldn't trade it for someone has no feel for a pass rush or can't take a hit. I will also throw in it's his first year in a new offense against a brutal - brutal schedule. If the season ended today they will have played every division winner in the AFC and the two wildcards. While in the NFC 2 of the 4 games are against 1 division winner and the wildcard. We focus to much on winning especially this year when blaming the QB they have 10 losses 5 by 6 or less. Lastly seven times we've given up 30 or more points. They are building it the right way and to be good for a while. It's a three year process, next year in year two I believe we will make a playoff push and be there in 2012. Fitz is a year younger than Rivers in San Diego he is the future.

I say Win all three. They've been in plenty games this season and have blown great opportunities; the Bills must atone for that. They might as well start winning now and establishing themselves. Both Chan and Fitzy have been bouncing around the dreaded "we need to learn how to win" cliche. Well in pro ball there isnt time to continue the lesson into next season. We as fans cannot withstand all these nail biters that end with a bucket of sh*t on our heads. It can be done. The Fins will be our biggest test of the three, Miami is fighting for their playoff lives. The jets QB and organization are sucking bad as we are rising. The pats will have no incentive and should be resting their starters by time they get to Buffalo. Chan has said that his rookie receivers should have played enough experience wise like "its already their 2nd season". With that bar our offense and defense should now be primed. If this team as is cant run the table with the final 3 games changes will need to be made. I love Fitz and wrote during preseason he should be our starter but he has to save this season himself for me not wish for a better QB to lead us in the future. The BILLS can do it...all 3...all WINS.

The attached link mirrors my view on the Fitz qb situation. My feeling is that he has a very high football IQ but is physically very limited. He is a Hasselbeck, Cassell and Jake DelHomme (pre-injury) caliber qb. More of a manager than a playmaker.

If you watch a team with a very talented qb such as Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan etc it is a stark difference. Teams which have aspirations to compete for the championship rather than pursuing a wildcard run usually have the playmaker caliber of qb.

The Bills are in a very good position to draft a qb such as Newton. He is an imposing talent who could learn behind a smart qb such as Fitz.

If you want to think small then go ahead and be satisfied with an average talented qb such as Fitz. In my mind he is a below average starter and an excellent backup qb. If you dare to have championship aspirations then you need to be creative and bold and pursue the special talent at the qb positon.

Many people are satisfied with being mediocre. I'm not one of them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bob-dicesare/article286276.ece

The attached link mirrors my view on the Fitz qb situation. My feeling is that he has a very high football IQ but is physically very limited. He is a Hasselbeck, Cassell and Jake DelHomme (pre-injury) caliber qb. More of a manager than a playmaker.

If you watch a team with a very talented qb such as Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan etc it is a stark difference. Teams which have aspirations to compete for the championship rather than pursuing a wildcard run usually have the playmaker caliber of qb.

The Bills are in a very good position to draft a qb such as Newton. He is an imposing talent who could learn behind a smart qb such as Fitz.

If you want to think small then go ahead and be satisfied with an average talented qb such as Fitz. In my mind he is a below average starter and an excellent backup qb. If you dare to have championship aspirations then you need to be creative and bold and pursue the special talent at the qb positon.

Many people are satisfied with being mediocre. I'm not one of them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bob-dicesare/article286276.ece

wow.Real good point...gotta set sentiment aside.Ryan does have wheels at the right time. How would you rate that skill? Calm in the huddle and Pocket, but can blaze outta there. i dont see any of the QBs u mention being as good as Fitz doing that.Isnt that playmaking? Are you speaking of height?

He doesn't have to do anything. He's the man. They'll draft a prospect, but no way the Bills bring in a vet to compete. Fitz is the guy for 2011. I don't even think it's a question.

Go back and re-read my post. Fitz will be the starting qb in 2011. I didn't say otherwise.

wow.Real good point...gotta set sentiment aside.Ryan does have wheels at the right time. How would you rate that skill? Calm in the huddle and Pocket, but can blaze outta there. i dont see any of the QBs u mention being as good as Fitz doing that.Isnt that playmaking? Are you speaking of height?

A playmaking qb is a throwing qb. Fitz is a smart, cagey qb. His arm strength and accuracy are average at best. Go back and look at the consistent playoff contenders. Pitts, New England, Colts, San Diego, New Orleans and you will notice that they all have a stud/play making type of qb.

There are certain elite type qbs who elevate the team. Fitz is not one of them.

He doesn't have to do anything. He's the man. They'll draft a prospect, but no way the Bills bring in a vet to compete. Fitz is the guy for 2011. I don't even think it's a question.

Starter for 2011 isn't the question... I think we all agree on that even if they draft a QB w/ a top 5 pick.

...they draft a prospect? I assume you mean in later rounds and not in the first 3, which gets focused on defense.

...and what of his contract? He's fine through next year. However, it will be a distraction all year if he's doing well, so they need to sign him to an extension. Extensions cost money for a starting QB.

We certainly wouldn't do those things if the next 3 games are terrible or marginal.

My point is that the next three games, highly affect our off-season strategy. Nix said during the bye week that we needed to find the best QB to draft for the future. Has that changed? What is good enough?

These next three games are critical and not throwaways... that everyone is playing for the future is NOT an understatement and has greater meaning that it typically does. This is the inflection point in evaluating the season.

This season just gets more and more interesting.

Now after injuries to Roscoe and Evans, the Bills are down to 4 healthy wideouts…the 7th rounder and three undrafted free agents (unrestricted free agents if you're Don Criqui).

Circumstances just keep getting more and more challenging for Fitz. I'm very excited to see how he does with this cast of no names, especially against some good defenses. If the O can put points on the board the next three weeks, it will be no mean feat.

Fitz is solid , not a star, not flashy, just solid. Yes we need a franchise QB cuz in 2-3 years and a few more years of 4-12 season and nobody is going to want fitz around then we are further behind. We need to Draft a QB in the 1st round Mallett, Luck or Newton all 3 will be good in the NFL. we also need a OT and a Pass rusher!

This season just gets more and more interesting.

Now after injuries to Roscoe and Evans, the Bills are down to 4 healthy wideouts…the 7th rounder and three undrafted free agents (unrestricted free agents if you're Don Criqui).

Circumstances just keep getting more and more challenging for Fitz. I'm very excited to see how he does with this cast of no names, especially against some good defenses. If the O can put points on the board the next three weeks, it will be no mean feat.

This time of year almost all teams are battered. The injury list gets longer for almost every franchise. Teams which have depth on the OL do better than teams that are thin at the OL.

I'm not sure you intended to bring up the topic but related to your injury level observation what happens if two additional games are added to the schedule with the new CBA? Even with bigger rosters and larger practice squads the players are putting their careers and long term health in greater jeopardy with the extended season.

One suggestion that has been offered is to add playoff games. That might increase the revenue stream to pay for the new CBA financial structure. It seems that the owners are hellbent on adding the extra games. If I were a player I would be hellbent against it.

Have at it...

So, in your eyes these next 3 games are going to make or break Fitz? C'mon, really, his last year and a half means nothing to you if he doesn't perform well in the last 3 games? Just looking for an excuse to bash the guy aren't you! Stoooooopid thread!

Edited by FreakPop

We were competitive in the 1st three divisional games and Fitzy was the QB for 2. The 3rd was TE vs the Dolfags. I have full confidence we will be in the game this Sunday that means Fitzy will have been able To hang tough against all 3.

With a second shot at the Gatriots and the NJ S-u-c-ks.

Obviously if Fitzy looks like TE in those three games that will raise some questions.

However I haven't seen anything in the last two years to make me think that will happen.

Edited by Why So Serious?