Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Big Cat

I use this website for quick, streamlined access to stats. It's a great resource.

LINK

Their "Simple Rating System" has Buffalo ranked 24th in the NFL.

But what's most astounding:

Ranked 31st, 29th, 28th, and 27th?

You guessed it, those power houses of the NFC West.

Wow.

I use this site all the time. They do a really nice job.

But I never really noticed the SRS, until you brought it up. I saw the blog entry, but that's all from 2006. I didn't realize they had a column for SRS in the standings.

Thanks.

I use this site all the time. They do a really nice job.

But I never really noticed the SRS, until you brought it up. I saw the blog entry, but that's all from 2006. I didn't realize they had a column for SRS in the standings.

Thanks.

Yeah, there's so much information on that site and it's slowed or bogged down with graphics, ads, etc.

It'd be nice if they included game by game play by plays and some of the more difficult to find stats (WR drops), but it's got just about every other one-stop reference point beat.

I use this website for quick, streamlined access to stats. It's a great resource.

LINK

Wow.

Thanks for the link!

It'd be nice if they included game by game play by plays and some of the more difficult to find stats (WR drops), but it's got just about every other one-stop reference point beat.

You need to go to the Professional Football Researchers Association's website to get that information. Gamebooks consist of all stats and play-by-plays for the games. They are issues by the teams themselves after the game. In the Member's Only section, we have over 8500 gamebooks online (about 80% of all games played since 1960). This is the result of a lot of work by our members with the NFL and with individual teams. Not all of the gamebooks exist, however, but we are constantly adding more.

The problem I have with the PFR site is the all-pro information. Granted, we have been working with them to improve it, but they are still fighting us. Anyone who made any all pro list (first team, second team or honorable mention, any source) is listed as an all-pro on that site. They really need to differentiate the team and the source. Some sources carry more weight than others. Second team or honorable mention is obviously not as impressive as first team. That is our issue. As I said, they are improving things, but it is not where it needs to be and is misleading to their visitors.

LINK

Wow.

this site has been around for 10 years, but in the past 2-3 has gotten almost as good as baseball-reference.com

hockeydb.com is great for you sabres fans

this site has been around for 10 years, but in the past 2-3 has gotten almost as good as baseball-reference.com

hockeydb.com is great for you sabres fans

True, I've bookmarked this site for years. Posters should be encouraged to visit more often for fact checking......

You need to go to the Professional Football Researchers Association's website to get that information. Gamebooks consist of all stats and play-by-plays for the games. They are issues by the teams themselves after the game. In the Member's Only section, we have over 8500 gamebooks online (about 80% of all games played since 1960). This is the result of a lot of work by our members with the NFL and with individual teams. Not all of the gamebooks exist, however, but we are constantly adding more.

The problem I have with the PFR site is the all-pro information. Granted, we have been working with them to improve it, but they are still fighting us. Anyone who made any all pro list (first team, second team or honorable mention, any source) is listed as an all-pro on that site. They really need to differentiate the team and the source. Some sources carry more weight than others. Second team or honorable mention is obviously not as impressive as first team. That is our issue. As I said, they are improving things, but it is not where it needs to be and is misleading to their visitors.

Wow, thanks so much for another new resource/toy!

EDIT: Any chance to preview the content before a membership is purchased?

Edited by The Big Cat

Why would they fight you on this issue? Seems like it would help the site and its users. Other than a bit of work, do they think there is a downside?

I have one concern about some stats, particularly those unofficial stats with no specific criteria. Do you find consistency from the stats issued by the teams themselves?

Wow, thanks so much for another new resource/toy!

EDIT: Any chance to preview the content before a membership is purchased?

I cannot give out gamebooks to non-members. It is a special arrangement we have with the NFL and the various teams. As far as what your membership covers, you can visit the Coffin Corner section of the website to see what you would get with your magazine subscription (free downloads of all articles published between 1979 and 2005). With that subscription, you also get access to the Members Only section, which contains the following as of today:

Gamebooks

1960-1969 AFL (Not Complete)

1960-1997 NFL (Not Complete)

1998-2009 NFL (Complete)

Browns: 1961-1995, 1999

Buccaneers: 1976-1999

Chiefs: 1960-1983

Dolphins: 1966-1999

Eagles: 1956-1994

49ers: 1950-1999

Jets: 1969-1980

Patriots: 1960-2002

Raiders: 1960-1992

Seahawks: 1976-1982

Steelers: 1969-1983

Full Issues of The Coffin Corner: 2006-present

Player Deaths (2010)

Player Deaths During Military Service

All-Pros 1920-1959 (Currently Being Edited)

Linescores

1890-1919 (Not Complete)

1920-2008 NFL (Complete)

1926 AFL (Complete)

1946-1949 AAFC (Complete)

1960-1969 AFL (Complete)

Pro Football Chronology (1869-1999)

NFL Officials

Historical Player Draft (1936-2009)

Oral History Transcripts

Bruce Alford

Jesse Freitas

Hal Herring

Ron Marciniak

Zeke OConnor

Dan Rooney

Don Schneider

Bob Sneddon

Al Vandeweghe

Team Pages (1890-1919)(Not Complete)

Uniforms of Past Teams

1933-1958 NFL

1946-1949 AAFC

Miscellaneous

Players Serving During World War I

Players Serving During World War II

Players Serving in the Korean War

Players Serving in the Military

AAFC Attendance

Pacific Coast Pro Football League

(1940-1948)

You also get to vote in the Hall of Very Good elections and get to attend PFRA meetings (the next one will be at NFL Films).

The membership fee is $25 for a one-year domestic membership (Canada slightly higher and other international slightly higher than that) if you sign up before December 31. After that, rates go up to $35 for a domestic membership (again, slight increases for addresses outside of the United States).

If you have any questions on what you get with membership, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Why would they fight you on this issue? Seems like it would help the site and its users. Other than a bit of work, do they think there is a downside?

Honestly, I do not know why they would even fight it. I checked the site today, and it looks like that have started to seperate the all-pro information. That is a good start. However, I have not checked the validity of their information. I am currently working with the two foremost authorities on all-pro information for a new book we are publishing through the PFRA. That information will make it into the Members Only section of the site. There is no question that the information we are publishing will be the most complete and accurate.

I have one concern about some stats, particularly those unofficial stats with no specific criteria. Do you find consistency from the stats issued by the teams themselves?

Elias is the official keeper of the stats. Sometimes, it is easy to get them to update things, other times they refuse. Elias does use the gamebooks for their stats, but sometimes the gamebooks can be incorrect. Also, not all gamebooks exist for all games. In those cases, we have gone through game films to compile that stats ourselves (like the sack totals for players prior to it becoming an official stat). There are inconsistencies from team to team. You will generally see the home-team bias on items that are based on judgement (sacks, tackles, etc). We try changing things as we notice them, but we are not always successful.

Honestly, I do not know why they would even fight it. I checked the site today, and it looks like that have started to seperate the all-pro information. That is a good start. However, I have not checked the validity of their information. I am currently working with the two foremost authorities on all-pro information for a new book we are publishing through the PFRA. That information will make it into the Members Only section of the site. There is no question that the information we are publishing will be the most complete and accurate.

Elias is the official keeper of the stats. Sometimes, it is easy to get them to update things, other times they refuse. Elias does use the gamebooks for their stats, but sometimes the gamebooks can be incorrect. Also, not all gamebooks exist for all games. In those cases, we have gone through game films to compile that stats ourselves (like the sack totals for players prior to it becoming an official stat). There are inconsistencies from team to team. You will generally see the home-team bias on items that are based on judgement (sacks, tackles, etc). We try changing things as we notice them, but we are not always successful.

That's great, Ken. Thanks.