(ROT): If I had to buy a car

ATBNG

I live in an urban area. I drive about 150 miles a week. I have no clue about maintenance. I am single and have no interest in spending big bucks on an automobile (preferring wine, women, song and the occasional football wager). I refuse to drive an SUV or minivan type vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive about 250-300 miles a week, and I love my Toyota Camry. Not sure what "expensive" to you is though; mine cost roughly $24,000.

My wife has a Corolla and loves that -- it cost around $15,000.

If you don't want to worry about it breaking down or anything, get either a Toyota or a Honda; those things run forever. The only "problem" I've had with mine is a flat tire -- and that's because I went way too long without replacing the tires (ironically, I was going to get new tires the night that one popped on me). Other than that, just routine maintenance (oil changes, fluid replacements, etc). New cars come with a manual that tells you what to get done at what milages. My Camry needs an oil change every 7,500 miles with special things (read: more expensive) done every 30,000 miles. I'm at roughly 75,000 miles (6 years) and it's gone grreat.

CW

Dude, if you already know what you DONT want then chances are you can use process of elimination to figure out what you DO want.

155891[/snapback]

I'm doing a lot of research, but there can be no better advice than hearing from people who have driven these models of cars and have a good experience with it, and I don't have a long time frame to make my purchase (my car was totaled). It's cold out and rentals are expensive. My last car was an unmitigated disaster that all the Consumer Reports in the world couldn't have saved me from.

Your post wasn't helpful. In fact, you're being a turd.

I'm doing a lot of research, but there can be no better advice than hearing from people who have driven these models of cars and have a good experience with it, and I don't have a long time frame to make my purchase (my car was totaled). It's cold out and rentals are expensive. My last car was an unmitigated disaster that all the Consumer Reports in the world couldn't have saved me from.

Your post wasn't helpful. In fact, you're being a turd.

155896[/snapback]

My advice wouldnt help you. I drive a 2002 Ford Explorer and I love it. Then again, I dont drive many miles so gas guzzling isnt a factor. As far as cars go, I've found that Japanese models are the best driving and most reliable out there. Honda, Toyota and Nissan are all great cars (89 Honda Prelude, 01 Toyota Camry, 95 Nissan Altima)

It might be too much car for you...but we just got a 2005 Nissan Altima. The suspension is a little spongy on sharp maneuvers, but other than that it's a seriously nice car (and a sport suspension package would probably take care of the sponginess anyway).

I live in an urban area. I drive about 150 miles a week. I have no clue about maintenance. I am single and have no interest in spending big bucks on an automobile (preferring wine, women, song and the occasional football wager). I refuse to drive an SUV or minivan type vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

155873[/snapback]

Corvette...because with one of those...you get all the wine, women and song you want!

Get an american-made car or truck and support your country.

155954[/snapback]

As soon as an American car works as trouble-free as a Japanese car, I will.

Besides, all of the manufacturing is done in the US.

CW

As soon as an American car works as trouble-free as a Japanese car, I will.

Besides, all of the manufacturing is done in the US.

CW

155956[/snapback]

exactly. I was a Chevy man all my life. I put enough money into the crooked Extended Warrantee companies' pockets, one that was not American. Then they proceed to try to tell you that they will cover the problem ONLY if the shop you take it to charges a certain amount for the part. You end up screwed.

Since 1994, the only vehicles I have purchased and driven have been Hondas. All used, and I've never had to put major repair money into any of them. I still have two of those three. 96 Prelude and 2001 Accord. My other 87 Prelude would not die. It was over 200K miles, and the only thing I ever had to do was change a fuel injector. I ended up selling it to some kid as a 1st car, and he still has it.

The only American car I would buy now is a Chevy Full Size truck (s-10's are junk), or NEWER Ford f-150. I love my country, but I'm not going to let an auto corporation rip me off repeatedly for an inferior product.

Stick with a Honda unless you need a truck.

my 0.02

I'd go with a mitsubishi eclipse..they are very sporty looking cars and still economicaly safe....if you go brand new i think mitsubishi has one of the best warranties arround, but i could just be dreaming on that...your single, young, need something sporty yet economical..go with the eclipse :(

mitsubishi eclipse

mitsubishi eclipse spyder

Guest Max in Tampa

Thanks in advance.

155873[/snapback]

Honda S2000. I have one and traded a Z3 for it. Women love it and there is plenty of space for wine bottles and stereo equipment.