Players that must be Re-signed

DC Grid

Obviously the Bills are still a decent mess, but it seems there are some key re-signings that need to happen this offseason for the team to continue its slow turnaround.

"Glass man" Poz -- quietly having a darn good year, stats put him as a top 5 LB

Donte Whitner -- having a career year

Drayton Florence -- the only CB worth a darn week in and week out this year

Who would you add?

Edited by DC Grid

I think poz, McIntyre, Florence, and whitner are the only 4 who have contracts run out after this year that are worth re-signing, but not to big contracts. They should really be just re-signed to avoid creating holes. Though Mcintyre is a pretty cool player to have around. Florence I think we will need if the crazy injury to Mcgee is going to keep him off the field for like ever.

McCargo and stroud also have contracts up, but I say let them walk.

Also reguarding Poz, it depends on which defensive scheme we settle on. If we have a 3-4, then we really need poz because we have so few LBs. But if we go with a 4-3, then Davis is our MLB and I don't think poz would make a good OLB.... so I think that will play a part in whether or not I would want him re-signed.

McIntyre negotiated a two year extension a few months back...

I think poz, McIntyre, Florence, and whitner are the only 4 who have contracts run out after this year that are worth re-signing, but not to big contracts. They should really be just re-signed to avoid creating holes. Though Mcintyre is a pretty cool player to have around. Florence I think we will need if the crazy injury to Mcgee is going to keep him off the field for like ever.

Also reguarding Poz, it depends on which defensive scheme we settle on. If we have a 3-4, then we really need poz because we have so few LBs. But if we go with a 4-3, then Davis is our MLB and I don't think poz would make a good OLB.... so I think that will play a part in whether or not I would want him re-signed.

As noted, McIntyre signed a new deal near the start of the season. I'm assuming Whitner and Poz are still on their rookie contracts which would make them RFAs.

wilson and youboty are free agents as well. I think both could stay . why .... cheap , know the system , less holes to fill by keeping them .

I think stroud has at least one more year,but my guess is if they draft/sign enough pure 3/4 guys he is a gone

stevie is under contract one more year

It seems Poz gets caught in coverage and taken advantage of at least once a week, but overall I agree with the OP and he should be resigned.

I agree with Florence as well, Whitner: still on the fence about him - I just don't know how much better he is than his backups.

Yeah, McIntyre will be here. He's a great blocker and a great special teams player and a good teammate. I was very disappointed that he fumbled though. Fullbacks and tight ends have to be bombproof ball protection guys.

Yobouty? He's got all the talent in the world but every time he's gotten an opportunity to contribute in the defense, he's gotten injured. He strikes me as a guy who just can't be counted on.

Of course with McKelvin's latest display, I wouldn't be surprised to see Yobouty get more snaps as the team determines if he's someone we can go forward with.

Who would you add?

Great idea for a thread.

2011 Bills Free Agents

Whitner, Posluzny, Wilson, Stupar, Florence, Martin, Youboty, Ellison, Merrimen, Wrotto, Ayodele, Brohm(RFA), Corto(RFA), McCargo(RFA)

Who I keep

FA Re-signings: Whitner, Posluzny, Florence, Wrotto, Wilson

Veteran minimum offers: Stupar, Ayodele

RFA tender offer: Brohm

How/Why

This season's Poz has been a solid NFL starter-quality LB. The only other Bills 'backer I could say that about was the surprisingly capable Andra Davis. Except Andra didn't make it into November, and durability has gotta be part of the grade (see Poz in past years). On a defense with a nearly a donut box full of holes, we don't need to make another one. So Posluszny gets re-signed. A chunky wad of the contract money should be structured as very-easy-to-attain incentives like "games played" or modest tackle totals due to Poz's injury history.

Extend Whitner for 3-4 years. I think a contract averaging just under 5 mil/year would work for both sides. I mentioned the dollar reasoning in another thread: Whitner's not in the top tier of NFL safeties. That tier would be LaRon Landry, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Adrian Wilson, Bob Sanders and Antrel Rolle. They are all averaging between 7 and 8 mil per year. Whitner would be in the second tier with guys like Chris Hope and Nick Collins. Both in the 5 mil/yr range. Donte is just 25 and has been durable. Except for his thumb injury last season(6 games), he's rarely missed a game before or since.

George Wilson is a versatile team leader, prepared to step in at multiple positions without complaint. He won't be pricey. One Bills Drive likes him and regularly gives him PR gigs and catalog work. I'm betting he gets re-signed in the offseason, and I like the move. Good value and worth keeping around for experienced depth and ST.

Re-sign savvy veteran Drayton Florence. He's nowhere near the athletic ability of Leodis, but D-Flo has the instincts and goldfish memory that McKelvin still needs to develop. When Flo fooks up -- like all DBs will do -- it's one play. When Leodis fooks up, on the other hand, it gets inside his head and he goes into a freefall. Flo may never make the pro bowl, but he's consistent, has good size, and keeps his head in the game. Like all crafty vets he seems to be able to get away with at least 50% of his (nearly constant) P.I. tugs. This re-signing is also mindful that McGee, who I love when healthy, can't stay on the field lately.

Next is Mansfield Wrotto. When you think about it, he's really a heckuva midseason find. I see him as the future first-tackle-off-the-bench. Little scary that he's our RT starter now, heh, but at least he's getting a lot of combat experience. Whatever the 2011 starting tackle situation looks like, there's little chance both of them are on the field for every play. Mansfield Wrotto can be steady, serviceable depth as a swing tackle. Plus, he's got a name like a Bond villain.

Rounding out the list are minimum offers for a couple depth chart guys, Stupar and Ayodele. Plus an RFA tender for Brohm.

Bye Bye

McCargo - Holy moose balls. This never-was survived his entire rookie contract.

Ellison - A can-do guy with a good attitude, but the bottom line is that he's deeeeep on the depth chart even IF the Bills were still running a defensive scheme that wants 220 lb, sub-6ft inside 'backers. Which they aren't.

Merriman - Pay him now and release him back to Cali. Don't want to see how he's rehabbing. Don't want to see if he'll 'honor' Buffalo by entertaining the idea of re-signing. I expect him to get on another squad and then stay off the field as much as possible. Cuz that's his formula to squeak out a few more bux for stuff he can no longer do.

Martin - He and Stupar are both below average, but I feel like the younger Stupar has more potential upside if one is going to be kept for depth. Martin's awareness in the receiving game seems very low -- like in the 2nd quarter of the Bengals game when he didn't realize he was eligible on that TE screen, never even turning around as the ball sailed past his earhole.

Corto - In the past he's earned a roster spot for his ST play. Since coming off the PUP list this season, he's actually ruined a couple big returns by drawing calls. Corto would be a cheap re-sign, so there's still 4 games for him to turn it around.

Youboty - Signed a one year RFA tender last offseason. 1 assist so far in 2010. Behind Reggie Corner on depth. Like Corto, I figure he's got 4 games to either change minds or change addresses.

i think poz gets lost in coverage too often. I dont see him as a long term #1 ILB. Funny how he's near the top of the league in tackles but he never gets any press. Tackles arent a great stat and he's not a dynamic LB.

If he can be resigned to something like steam said i think he is a serviceable LB.

Very very good work steampunk. Hard to find that kind of reasoned analysis around here these days.

I was on the fence with Whitner, but you convinced me.

What's amazing about Whitner is that he's awful young. He's not great by any means but he's a solid player and maybe he's still has that little room to get better.

Excellent recap steampunk, other than Sanders being a great safety, not because he isn't but because he can't stay healthy.

I'm not sure who else is late in their contract, but i agree we should resign the guys you have mentioned. To your point about Poz, he does have a bunch of tackles, but he's not a top 5 LB in this league.

No he is not, but he is a good smart player and will be solid in the 3-4 with help on either side.