Qualities of a Quarterback

For those who are self discerning the daily tribulations of life give us a chance to recognize our own deficiencies and some aspire to rise above their own short comings as a means of seeking truth or chasing dreams acquired by means intrinsically and extrinsically. You might say the practice of our own deficiencies can motivate us to be better as insecurity can nourish ego. I'm sorry my alter ego just told me to snap out of it.

I have no idea why you only seem to associate ego with insecurity and shortcomings. Your ego is your self-esteem and self-image, among many other things. Both the good and the bad. It's your ego to have good self-esteem. That is not a good thing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why you only seem to associate ego with insecurity and shortcomings. Your ego is your self-esteem and self-image, among many other things. Both the good and the bad. It's your ego to have good self-esteem. That is not a good thing?

You wear your ego on your sleeve. It’s easily tarnished. It shines, it dulls, it makes a lot of noise. It interferes. It cries out for self. It is easily damaged, easily swayed. Like a house of cards it stands on no foundation.

I am a big fan of Fitz and believe he can be our QB of the future. I do think he needs to improve on the really quick dump offs. I see that he is in such a hurry to get the ball out that he either mishandles the ball and you get those crazy balls flying out of his hands before a throw can be made or his accuracy is off. In those he needs to slow down enough to make sure he has the ball handled correctly and feet set to make an accurate throw.

On those long out patterns he also needs to throw the ball to the opposite shoulder off where the defender is sitting to hopefully eliminate defenders jumping the route.

He's young so he will get better.

Bills players don't call him "The Amish Rifle" for nothin'!

My friend I think you’ve coined a working moniker there. I can just see Ralph needing horse & buggy room in parking lots now. Russ Brandon will be flush with new marketing ideas.

You guys are overanalyzing this to death. To be a successful QB you just need 3 things. Accuracy, football smarts, and leadership. Everything else is just sprinkles of an ice cream sundae. You guys talk about an NFL arm? Jamarcus Russell, Kyle Boller, come to mind.

Michael Vick is the PERFECT example of this. What was he in Atlanta? A QB with a big arm and no accuracy. NOW what does he have? NFL smarts and accuracy and leadership. This is why he's been so successful in the NFL this year.

Edited by DreReed83

You guys are overanalyzing this to death. To be a successful QB you just need 3 things. Accuracy, football smarts, and leadership. Everything else is just sprinkles of an ice cream sundae. You guys talk about an NFL arm? Jamarcus Russell, Kyle Boller, come to mind.

Michael Vick is the PERFECT example of this. What was he in Atlanta? A QB with a big arm and no accuracy. NOW what does he have? NFL smarts and accuracy and leadership. This is why he's been so successful in the NFL this year.

Michael Vick found football smarts, accuracy and leadership in prison?

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I'll throw what might be an unconventional definition out there for what defines a good to great QB - how about having a Qb on the team that a fan can say, with all honesty, that he would prefer over any other QB in the league. Of course, that only leaves one or two great QB's in the league - but I think there are typically only a few great QB's in the league at any given time.

I'd say most of us would have taken Kelly over anyone else in the league. He consistently beat Marino's Dolphins. He had a better career than Aikman. He had the "it" factor that made him unique. Not necessarily better than anyone else, but so unique, so special, that we would take him every time if we had it to do over again.

Guys like that in the league now (of course, it is subjective and depends on who you ask - so, my opinion): Manning, Brady, Rothlisberger, Vick, Rivers, and Bradford.

At least Fitz has guts, smarts, heart, and he can play. I think he is ultimately perfect for backup to a young, great QB. I could see him being one of the best 2nd string QB's in the league, which a championship team should have, much like Reich. Fitz is smart enough to be a good teacher, and not selfish to where he'd be a distraction. But, unless we get a chance to get someone like Luck - a potentially great QB, then we are good putting a team together around Fitz. And, Brohm, despite what a lot of people on this board think, is good, too. I still think he's better than Fitz and would be lighting it up if he had the chance.

Another thing about Fitz that makes me think he might be here for a while as our starter. He just seems to "get" Gailey's offense. They are on the same page. Maybe they're a perfect fit.

All in all, unless we can get Luck (and I think we should throw all we've got at trying to get him) then we should try to improve our D as much as possible.

Michael Vick found football smarts, accuracy and leadership in prison?

Ummm NO. Andy Reid DEVELOPED Vick. I give Andy Reid 100000% credit for Vick's development, because he taught him how to play QUARTERBACK. His mechanics are more refined and so is his footwork. Andy taught him to throw first, run second and be patient in the pocket. He understands how to read defenses now, which he NEVER did in Atlanta. If you even saw the game at all today, they showed comparisons of Vick at Atlanta and Vick now. Before, he scrambled outside the pocket initially and got himself into trouble which is why he got sacked so freakin much. Then they showed clips of the Philly Vick and he stands in the pocket as long as he can and TAKES THE HIT and makes accurate throws down field. He knows how to play in the pocket now.

A lot of his passes are short to intermediate throws and occasional bombs. But i don't expect someone like you to understand those subtleties.

Is it a coincidence that McNabb is SUCKING and Vick is flourishing? Reid knows what he's doing with QB's.

If you know how to read a defense and throw the ball with accuracy, you're already a step ahead of the defense. Football IQ is WAY more important than arm strength and all that other bullsht. Give me an accurate leader with a high football IQ, and i'll be happy.

Edited by DreReed83

Ummm NO. Andy Reid DEVELOPED Vick. I give Andy Reid 100000% of Vick's development, because he taught him how to play QUARTERBACK. His mechanics are more refined and so is his footwork. Andy taught him to throw first, run second and be patient in the pocket. He understands how to read defenses now, which he NEVER did in Atlanta. If you even saw the game at all today, they showed comparisons of Vick at Atlanta and Vick now. Before he scrambled outside the pocket initially and got himself into trouble which is why he got sacked so freakin much. Then they showed clips of the Philly Vick and he stands in the pocket as long as he can and TAKES THE HIT and makes accurate throws down field. He knows how to play in the pocket now.

A lot of his passes are short to intermediate throws and occasional bombs. But i don't expect someone like you to understand those subtleties.

If you know how to read a defense and throw the ball with accuracy, you're already a step ahead of the defense. Football IQ is WAY more important than arm strength and all that other bullsht. Give me an accurate leader with a high football IQ, and i'll be happy.

Which is exactly what about half of those 1-20 qualities explain. Andy Reid did a good job with him but didn't teach him half of that. Vick himself admitted that he never studied film at Atlanta, never worked to improve his game, never learned NFL defenses, which is why he was mostly a good but not very good QB. His footwork and mechanics haven't changed much. He looks the mostly the same throwing the ball in the pocket.

He's just not as quick to take off like he used to be and rely on just his physical ability. And he understands what to do with the ball, what the defenses are doing, where his guys are, which is exactly what I was saying a QB must do.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Which is exactly what about half of those 1-20 qualities explain. Andy Reid did a good job with him but didn't teach him half of that. Vick himself admitted that he never studied film at Atlanta, never worked to improve his game, never learned NFL defenses, which is why he was mostly a good but not very good QB.

Are you serious?

Who do u think got him into that habit of watching tape? REID.

Who taught him the fundamentals of playing QB? REID

Who taught him the CORRECT way to play QB? REID.

You can watch ALL the tape you want, but if you don't have the mindset of standing in the pocket and delivering a perfect ball, what good is watching film? Andy Reid didnt teach him half that? ANDY REID taught him ALL THAT. To get a QB like Vick who had a mindset of always running first and passing second and turning the tables is hard to do and Reid did an INCREDIBLE job of that. AGAIN. Is there a coincidence that McNabb is struggling and Vick is doing great? McNabb has always been an average QB with questionable accuracy and Reid has done a great job with him when he was with the Eagles. Now he goes to another team and McNabb is struggling because he's not a polished QB. Definately not as polished as he seemed when he was in Philly. Reid's protected McNabb for a long time and the real McNabb has shown his true colors.

Get over yourself. Andy Reid has created the monster that you see in Philly.

Edited by DreReed83

Are you serious?

Who do u think got him into that habit of watching tape? REID.

Who taught him the fundamentals of playing QB? REID

Who taught him the CORRECT way to play QB? REID.

You can watch ALL the tape you want, but if you don't have the mindset of standing in the pocket and delivering a perfect ball, what good is watching film? Andy Reid didnt teach him half that? ANDY REID taught him ALL THAT. To get a QB like Vick who had a mindset of always running first and passing second and turning the tables is hard to do and Reid did an INCREDIBLE job of that. AGAIN. Is there a coincidence that McNabb is struggling and Vick is doing great? McNabb has always been an average QB with questionable accuracy and Reid has done a great job with him when he was with the Eagles. Now he goes to another team and McNabb is struggling because he's not a polished QB. Definately not as polished as he seemed when he was in Philly. Reid's protected McNabb for a long time and the real McNabb has shown his true colors.

Get over yourself. Andy Reid has created the monster that you see in Philly.

:lol::lol::lol: I get it. So Andy Reid taught Donovan McNabb how to watch film and stand in the pocket and be accurate with the ball and be a good, smart QB for ten years but as ssoon as he is away from Andy Reid he can no longer watch film and stand in the pocket and be accurate with the ball and be a good smart QB because Mike Shanahan is now his coach and Andy Reid is not. Gotcha.

And Michael Vick didn't watch film in Atlanta or practice hard or try to improve himself at QB and the first year Andy Reid decided not to teach Michael Vick to do all these great things QBs need to do, but then he decided this year he WOULD teach Michael Vick them so now he's great and delivers a perfect ball. Gotcha. :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I get it. So Andy Reid taught Donovan McNabb how to watch film and stand in the pocket and be accurate with the ball and be a good, smart QB for ten years but as ssoon as he is away from Andy Reid he can no longer watch film and stand in the pocket and be accurate with the ball and be a good smart QB because Mike Shanahan is now his coach and Andy Reid is not. Gotcha.

And Michael Vick didn't watch film in Atlanta or practice hard or try to improve himself at QB and the first year Andy Reid decided not to teach Michael Vick to do all these great things QBs need to do, but then he decided this year he WOULD teach Michael Vick them so now he's great and delivers a perfect ball. Gotcha. :lol::lol::lol:

First, Donovan was NEVER an accurate QB.

Secondly, WTF are you talking about?

Third, I'm sorry if your too dumb to see what's going on in Philly. Andy Reid MOTIVATED Vick to be a better QB than he was. He doesn't get by on natural talent anymore. He understands how to play the position. His footwork is improved and his thought process has completely changed. Sometimes he'll even hesitate to run with the ball because he wants to find the person downfield. How can you not see this?

If you've even watched an Eagles game or talked to any Eagle fan, Donovan was never a great QB and Andy Reids protected him for years. He's always been an inaccurate QB. Smart QB for 10 years? Not really and im sorry if you've never watched an Eagles game. Good QB's know how to play well in any system. They learn to grasp the system and read the defense. You keep bringing up watching film. Is that your only argument? If so, that's just retarded. There's more to being an NFL QB than just watching film.

Donovan was NEVER an accurate QB. Sometimes he'll hit the WR in stride, and other times he'll throw the ball at their feet. There's a reason why Donovan got pulled for Rex Grossman against the Lions. Rex Grossman? Is there a coincidence to what T.O's said about McNabb before and what Shanahan's saying about him now?

Keep bringing up watching film because thats obviously the only sorry excuse you keep bringing up. Vick's mechanically more sound

Edited by DreReed83