Bills Best Coach Since the Merger

truth on hold

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Bills Best Coach Since the Merger?

• Phillips
    • Levy
    • Knox
    • Saban
    • Other (specify)

Had Lou Saban stayed with the Bills, teams might be playing for the 'Lou Saban Trophy' rather than the 'Vince Lombardi Trophy' - as Lou & Da Billsss would likely have kicked KC's butt in the '66 AFC Championship game (which would have been the Bills 3rd consecutive AFC title), gone on to win Superbowl One against Green Bay, and who knows how many more thereafter. :unsure:

But he quit. Twice. Then, he quit everywhere else - sometimes before his start date! Freakin' guy was a great coach - but, somehow, unstable.

That's why I had to go with Marv.

(Bowery-you can change your vote back now! B-) )

Edited by The Senator

If you would have made this, "who is the second best Bills HC" it would have been more interesting.

Levy's run at GM, soured his rep, but really did you think it would be anything but overwhelming support for Levy as the best?

I go with Levy. A head coach develops the strategy for a team and builds a staff to carry it out. Additionally he has to get the most from his players. I think Levy did a great job during his tenure with the Bills. Could Knox have done a better job with Levy's roster? Maybe, but he also may have alienated some of the superstars too. Levy gets my vote.

There are legions of Bills fans, myself included, who think the only reason we didn't win a Super Bowl was because of Levy's choice of coordinators. Walt Corey was horrendous. He had two Hall of Fame worthy players, surrounded by several other Pro Bowl players, mixed in with a few solid role players. And yet we weren't half as good on defense as we should have been. That defense should have been as good as our K-Gun offense was, and it was average. Corey was terrible, and Levy's misguided allegiance to him very likely cost us winning the Super Bowl, and maybe a few of them.

Maybe it's crazy but I trace some of this back to Polian. Small, fast defense geared towards stopping the pass. Sound familiar? Bills, Panthers and Colts all fit this while under his watch. Interestingly, the Colts Tampa 2 D was Dungy's creation, but his Ds in Minnesota and Tampa had a bigger more physical front 4 than he ended up with in Indy.

Also, although I agree that Corey didn't get the most out of the defensive personnel he had, SB XXV was not his fault. The Bills should've won that game- just needed to make the kick. If Vinatieri misses is Belichick's a hack?

Edited by vincec

Also, although I agree that Corey didn't get the most out of the defensive personnel he had, SB XXV was not his fault. The Bills should've won that game- just needed to make the kick. If Vinatieri misses is Belichick's a hack?

That game was lost by the defense not being able to get off the field, not because of a kicker.