Is Shawn Merriman to good for Buffalo?

Not sure what is up with the media, but SM and AJ Smith just didn't get along at all. So hopefully a new team, fresh start and we will see the new old Merriman. All the Charger fans I bump into are congratulating me and hoping he kicks ass here in Buffalo. SM was a very popular player.

IMHO ...

The best way to solve the problem of player movement ... and prevent the "angst" of the does he want to be here or doesn't he BS ... and to promote league parity from season to season is for the league to;

make all contracts for one year

keep a hard salary cap

all contract money is guaranteed

no hidden money (bonuses, incentives, etc)

no team limits on the number of players it can carry

I agree with a player picking a team via free agency, but on waivers, it's the team that picks you up, not the player who picks the team. If Shawn wants to play this year again, then it will have to be the Bills. I don't think he will do any worse than what we have now so I don't mind. I feel it's funny a player like Moss isn't getting his choice either, but hopefully next year there will be a lockout and some of these players will be retired.

I too am so sick of 'free agency!'

In both my current and former occupations (both very specific to the work that I did and do) if I wanted to do the type of work I was good at in these industries then I was subject to being placed where these industries had jobs for me.

So, my first employer after college took the kid from Buffalo and said if I want to work in this industry then I have to move to New Jersey even though they had offices in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester. I could not choose where I wanted to work if I wanted to have that type of job. In my current job, which is based in New Jersey, if I want to work in this specific industry, at the level I am at, then I am subject to being placed where they want me ... I have no choice in this matter.

These undereducated players should not be able to choose where they play. If they want to play football at the NFL level then let the NFL rules determine where they play. If they want to play football elsewhere go to the CFL or Arena Football.

The connections with individual teams die when players can just move out when a contract is done. So frustrating ... but I do feel good about Merriman to Buffalo and am not disappointed that we haven't heard from him yet. If he can play then let's get a contract signed.

I too am so sick of 'free agency!'

In both my current and former occupations (both very specific to the work that I did and do) if I wanted to do the type of work I was good at in these industries then I was subject to being placed where these industries had jobs for me.

So, my first employer after college took the kid from Buffalo and said if I want to work in this industry then I have to move to New Jersey even though they had offices in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester. I could not choose where I wanted to work if I wanted to have that type of job. In my current job, which is based in New Jersey, if I want to work in this specific industry, at the level I am at, then I am subject to being placed where they want me ... I have no choice in this matter.

These undereducated players should not be able to choose where they play. If they want to play football at the NFL level then let the NFL rules determine where they play. If they want to play football elsewhere go to the CFL or Arena Football.

The connections with individual teams die when players can just move out when a contract is done. So frustrating ... but I do feel good about Merriman to Buffalo and am not disappointed that we haven't heard from him yet. If he can play then let's get a contract signed.

Couldn't agree more. Its an unfair advantage to BIG market teams.

Sure there is a cap but many players will play for less just to be a Patriot.

Couldn't agree more. Its an unfair advantage to BIG market teams.

Sure there is a cap but many players will play for less just to be a Patriot.

New England is a big market? "many players will play for less just to be a Patriot", would they have 10 years ago? C'mon APV you're smarter than this. Bottom line is you have to build a winning team through the draft and the second and third tier of free agents, and the big name players will come. Or find a franchise QB that turns the team around and that approach can work too. But this small vs big market stuff is for the most part BS.

I am warning you guys now that this is a sore subject with me and nothing aggravates me more.

Tired of players that pick their preferred team through free agency or the waiver wire~

And why shouldn't a player be able to "pick his own team" thru free agency? Has he not already completed the terms of his rookie contract? Didn't you get to choose your employer? If another employer offered you more money or better "perks" wouldn't you leave your employer if you felt the other emloyer's offer was superior? Why should an athlete be any different???