Bills/Bears game not on TV in Syracuse area this weekend?

Metal Man

It shouldn't, if Syracuse is a secondary market the Bills game should be shown, otherwise take away the secondary status and show the games when it's not a home sellout. I'm blacked out from the games, 3 1/2 hours away, in order to urge me to go to the game. If the game is a home sellout what am I expected to do? If Syracuse was also a secondary market for the Giants I could understand (is it? not sure but don't think it is). My point is it should be one way or the other, I shouldn't get blacked out when it's not a sellout and also blacked out when it is.

Why does the network the game is on make any difference?

CBS is the AFC network. There's no question that it sucks, but the Syracuse area actually benefits when the team is having a bad year. Otherwise, it would be like Albany, which dumps out of the Bills every chance it gets. And we get an alternate game when there's no sellout, rather than a movie or some other crap like the home market.

Do you mean FOX?

CBS here in Syracuse is part of the Buffalo Bills broadcasting network.

Still, SU-Louisville - this is the game of the weekend here in Syracuse.!

Yeah, except it isn't. That;s why this game isn't on. Local Fox affiliate can choose to show another game. CBS (Ch. 5) cannot when it's sold out. And how many SU games would be on TV if they had to sell out?

Edited by cusebob

CBS is the AFC network. There's no question that it sucks, but the Syracuse area actually benefits when the team is having a bad year. Otherwise, it would be like Albany, which dumps out of the Bills every chance it gets. And we get an alternate game when there's no sellout, rather than a movie or some other crap like the home market.

Yeah, except it isn't. That;s why this game isn't on. Local Fox affiliate can choose to show another game. CBS (Ch. 5) cannot when it's sold out. And how many SU games would be on TV if they had to sell out?

Albany probably dumps out of the Bills because they have two much closer AFC East teams in the NE Patriots and NY Jets.

I think that FOX here in Syracuse was just too lazy to change their programming to the Bills game.

Albany probably dumps out of the Bills because they have two much closer AFC East teams in the NE Patriots and NY Jets.

I think that FOX here in Syracuse was just too lazy to change their programming to the Bills game.

Yes. The point was that CBS-5 in Syracuse wouldn't choose the Bills this season either if it didn't have a contractual obligation to show the games.

Lazy's got nothing to do with it. If next week's Lions game were to sell out (and I know it won't), Syracuse would likely be in the same situation.

Edited by cusebob

I don't see why they couldn't make a rule where if the non-affiliate station (FOX in this case) declines to show the game then the affiliate station (CBS in this case) is allowed to simulcast the non-affiliates feed. Now perhaps the affiliate station wouldn't want to do that but they probably could get some of their own commercials over the feed.

I don't think you get the situation at all. Having Fox/Syr not show the Giants this weekend is equivalent to having CBS/Syr drop the Bills to show a Giant game. Imagine what the phone at the station does.

Next season when the local sporting apparel stores stock up at the start of the season, go in and tell me what teams have the most merchandise on the shelves. It is the Giants by far. They stock it because it sells. Or next time you go to a mall, count the merchandise by team. There are times I don't think the Bills finish 4th in the count.

I would think Bills fans have a bigger concern. When I moved to Syracuse in the early 70's, the Bills just were not on. It was the Giants on one channel and the Jets on the other. I don't think this really changed until the 80's. They keep sucking and I view this as a real possibility again.

Lastly, although networks never seem to go against their fan base, I believe once during the glory days of the early 90's, the Bills were being televised by the NFL network because the NFC team was visiting Buffalo and the Giants were also on the NFL network at the same time. The Giants were still on the local NFC station but I believe the local AFC affiliate cut a deal to show the Bills. Definitely would have been a win-win for both stations. And I only remember this happening once, assuming I remember correctly.

Does anyone have a definite answer as to if the game will be on in Syracuse??

Yes. The answer is no. Fox is showing the Giants at 4 p.m. and CBS has the doubleheader.

the506.com map should help. I figured we covered all of that already.

Edited by cusebob

Next season when the local sporting apparel stores stock up at the start of the season, go in and tell me what teams have the most merchandise on the shelves. It is the Giants by far.

Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse don't have the money to be buying merchandise. We spend our money on Bills game tickets, gas to get there, tail-gaiting, etc. Lots of us do!

Giants fans, with their new merchandise, watch games from their couch. They never go to their games - it's too far to travel!

Additionally, a lot of football fans here in the 'Cuse strictly follow SU. They really don't watch the NFL at all. My parents are like this as are many of their friends.

I don't think you get the situation at all. Having Fox/Syr not show the Giants this weekend is equivalent to having CBS/Syr drop the Bills to show a Giant game. Imagine what the phone at the station does.

Next season when the local sporting apparel stores stock up at the start of the season, go in and tell me what teams have the most merchandise on the shelves. It is the Giants by far. They stock it because it sells. Or next time you go to a mall, count the merchandise by team. There are times I don't think the Bills finish 4th in the count.

I would think Bills fans have a bigger concern. When I moved to Syracuse in the early 70's, the Bills just were not on. It was the Giants on one channel and the Jets on the other. I don't think this really changed until the 80's. They keep sucking and I view this as a real possibility again.

Lastly, although networks never seem to go against their fan base, I believe once during the glory days of the early 90's, the Bills were being televised by the NFL network because the NFC team was visiting Buffalo and the Giants were also on the NFL network at the same time. The Giants were still on the local NFC station but I believe the local AFC affiliate cut a deal to show the Bills. Definitely would have been a win-win for both stations. And I only remember this happening once, assuming I remember correctly.

It is not determined by merchandise in the stores or fans on the streets. It's determined by the NFL, which deems Syracuse as a secondary market of the Buffalo Bills. This game however, due to some loophole or idiocy, can not be shown because the game is being broadcast on the NFC network.

It is not determined by merchandise in the stores or fans on the streets. It's determined by the NFL, which deems Syracuse as a secondary market of the Buffalo Bills. This game however, due to some loophole or idiocy, can not be shown because the game is being broadcast on the NFC network.

True: The NFL has determined that Syracuse is a secondary market for the Buffalo Bills. I just wish someone would tell the Buffalo Bills this little fact!

There's a lot of Bills fans here in the 'Cuse that would love to see a pre-season game played at the Carrier Dome! AC or no AC!!

There's a lot of Bills fans here in the 'Cuse that would love to see a pre-season game played at the Carrier Dome! AC or no AC!!

The Bills don't want to have a pre-season game in the Dome, I asked Russ Brandon about it several years ago. The facilities are not up to NFL standards and, as you mention about no AC, the Dome is like an oven in August.

I drove to Rochester from Oswego this morning because of the Syracuse blackout. The 0-7 Bills are worth a 1 day trip to Rochester. Somebody tell me we aren't the best fans in the league. :devil:

I am not sure of name of the place, maybe Captains Quarters, the hotel on the east side of the river, shows just about every NFL game, "When asked." I watched a blacked out game there last year as the only Bills fan.

The Bills don't want to have a pre-season game in the Dome, I asked Russ Brandon about it several years ago. The facilities are not up to NFL standards and, as you mention about no AC, the Dome is like an oven in August.

Intra-squad scrimmage at the Dome during training camp is a good idea.

So odd that a dome named for the company that developed AC; doesn't have AC.

So odd that a dome named for the company that developed AC; doesn't have AC.

From Wikipedia...

Despite carrying the name Carrier (an HVAC manufacturer), there is no air conditioning in the dome. The need for it is presumed low, as the facility is primarily used during the academic year (August–May), during most of which the outside temperatures rarely go far above room temperature. However, the temperatures greatly rise when filled to capacity even in November.