Bigger impact - #1 pick or reversing the culture of losing

Ill go with the #1 pick this year, and reverse the culture of losing next year. We don’t need wins this year to win next year – I don’t believe that logic at all. (case in point the Dolphins/Falcons/Chiefs and countless other teams who turn it around on a dime)

Quite frankly this is the year to tank it. We are already half way there at 0-6. We have a new Coach, new GM, and need a whole bunch of new players. A couple bad wins here or there won’t result in wins in 2011, but WILL result in us missing on a Bradford or Mario Williams or Jake Long. A few wins could result in us just missing on the next P Willis or Roethlisberger type guy the same way those worthless wins have hurt us in the past (because Lynch and Losman were such studs). Nix apparently would have taken Okung or T Williams this year but we weren’t high enough up for either of them, would you trade those crappy jets or Panthers wins for one of those guys? Because I sure as hell would.

Like a previous poster said, it starts with our scouting. It doesn’t matter where we pick if we blow it every time. But if we can hit on the right QB or someone D front 7, that one guy could literally turn this entire franchise around. Hopefully Nix can get lucky this year and select the right guy.

Bottom line, this year is a wash, 7-9, 5-11, 0-16, doesn’t matter. It wont help us win games next season. But if we can add another Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith with the #1 overall pick, we have a better chance at winning in 2011

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see, how many number 1 overall picks have the Steelers had? It's not where you pick in the draft, it's developing the players you pick and teaching them what it takes to be a winner.

OK, so can we pay Rooney to be our owner?

We're going to have the same GM, the same coach, and probably the same owner next year.

Give me Andrew Luck.

Edited by BuffOrange

Ill go with the #1 pick this year, and reverse the culture of losing next year. We don’t need wins this year to win next year – I don’t believe that logic at all. (case in point the Dolphins/Falcons/Chiefs and countless other teams who turn it around on a dime)

Quite frankly this is the year to tank it. We are already half way there at 0-6. We have a new Coach, new GM, and need a whole bunch of new players. A couple bad wins here or there won’t result in wins in 2011, but WILL result in us missing on a Bradford or Mario Williams or Jake Long. A few wins could result in us just missing on the next P Willis or Roethlisberger type guy the same way those worthless wins have hurt us in the past (because Lynch and Losman were such studs). Nix apparently would have taken Okung or T Williams this year but we weren’t high enough up for either of them, would you trade those crappy jets or Panthers wins for one of those guys? Because I sure as hell would.

Like a previous poster said, it starts with our scouting. It doesn’t matter where we pick if we blow it every time. But if we can hit on the right QB or someone D front 7, that one guy could literally turn this entire franchise around. Hopefully Nix can get lucky this year and select the right guy.

Bottom line, this year is a wash, 7-9, 5-11, 0-16, doesn’t matter. It wont help us win games next season. But if we can add another Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith with the #1 overall pick, we have a better chance at winning in 2011

I disagree. Haveing a new coach and new system and management in place is when you need to start winning. The Falcons went out and drafted Ryan in the same offseason they hired Mike Smith and Dimitrof was brought in.

If the Bills could put together 4-5 wins in the last half of the season it makes the players buy into what the coach is preaching. Maybe even rise up and beat a NE or NY in one of those. Helps with confidence.

Besides 4-5 wins you are going to probably be picking in the top 5. You would be able to get a great player in that position. The best maybe not, but just picking first does not mean you get the best player. It also may allow you more options to trade back some, if that is the approach you want to take. Nobody want to trade up to the first or second pick. As the system stands now, teams dont want to be on the hook for that salary.

Number one pick, don't fool yourself.

The Bills have had plenty of 7-9 seasons. Throwing a 4-12 on the pile doesn't help anything.

Sure, if you think the difference between where we draft at 4-12 and having the #1 pick is very significant, and you think that 1-15 doesn't undermine the building effort with our core players.

I hope they win each game, and would rather have 2-14 than 1-15, etc, but I'm being patient with losses.

But look at past drafts. Being #1 or #4 is not always a big difference.

Of course the most important thing is to root for the other bottom teams to win :) Niners and Cowboys will win games. We need for Carolina and Detroit and Cleveland to find some more wins, and we might be able to win some games AND get the #1 pick.

Caroline still plays Cleveland, but otherwise their schedule is brutal. The last time we picked behind Carolina in the top 5 we got a franchise left tackle and they got a useless end named Peppers if my memory serves me :wallbash:

There are tremendous players available if we fall to #2 to #5, so I'm not so worried about locking up that #1 overall pick and would prefer to have our team win some games and play tough in others.

By far reverse the culture of losing.....do I get this straight? People would be upset if Fitz plays the rest of this year like he has and is a top 5 QB and the Bills go 8-8 and win 8 of ten games? Why?????? That would mean we have a good team that needs some tinkering and the guys are learning to win and play together and be a team! The offense is really starting to look and feel like they are starting to gel and love to play together. Yes let's draft a guy we hope can play as good as Fitz has 3 years from now.

Learn to win, expect to win and get the players for the Bills confident again and something to be proud of with this franchise