What NFL rules would you change?

BuffaloinLA

What would the refs do from Feb to July?

learn the new rule changes, watch tape from the previous season to learn from their mistakes, work out so they're in shape to run around the field, practice in-game situations, rest, ya know generally focus on doing their job better so we don't have one or two questionable calls per game per week.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 10 off the top of my head, partially borrowed from others in this thread. In no particular order.

1. Get rid of the stupid tuck rule.

2. Eliminate the extra point kicks. Six plus two or zero.

3. Reintroduce the extra point kick as a kickoff strategy. If you pound the ball through the uprights on a kickoff, you get a point. If you miss and the ball lands beyond the end zone, they get the ball at the 25 instead of the 20. If the ball lands in the end zone and bounces out, then the standard 20 yard line applies.

4. Get rid of the fair catch. I know they want to limit injuries, but the wuss can always just choose to let the ball bounce. Gives more importance to punters and makes special teams more exciting.

5. Do something about the double standard of QBs sliding. Either limit how far down the field they can slide, or adopt the college style of the ground ending the play for anyone with the ball (like a receiver diving to make a catch).

6. Loosen the rules on what constitutes a catch. Require only one foot to be inbounds. Get rid of the stupid rule where the ball shifting in your hands as you land out of bounds after getting both feet in negates the catch. Give Calvin Johnson his damned touchdown and slap that ref upside the head.

7. Adopt the NHL style of official review by taking it out of the hands of the refs who screwed up in the first place. An unbiased, professional review team would speed up the process.

8. Give coaches a two strike rule on challenges. Rather than give them a third challenge for getting two right, allow challenges until they get two wrong.

9. Rather than discouraging field goals, you should ENCOURAGE the alternative. If you fail a fourth down conversion, the ball gets spotted 5 yards ahead of where the ball ended up (or half the distance to the goal if inside the 10). So if you fail on a 4th and 2 on the opponents' 40, the opponent gets the ball on their 35.

10. These excessive celebration penalties are just getting stupid. If its not vulgar or offensive, or directed SPECIFICALLY AT a player (I've seen some stupid "taunting" penalties too), let it go. Perhaps as long as it doesn't take too long, like give them 15 seconds after the play ends.

Oh oh one more I forgot. Freezing the kicker, just stupid. I mean if its unsportsmanlike conduct for doing it TWICE in a row, then just get rid of it in the first place and ignore time out requests that are clearly just attempts to screw with the other team.

Fixed. Halftime only needs to be long enough to 1) take a leak, 2) get a fresh beer, 3) refill your plate.

It is arguable that we lost two super bowls (1 & 4) because of long half times.

During both of those games we had halftime leads.

With the long intermission we lost momentum and gave Parcells/Belichik & Jimmy Johnson time to make significant adjustments

Get rid of the "tuck rule"

Get rid of the dumb coaches challenge thing. Just have someone review it upstairs, or heck even the league office, and move on.

Get rid of the "under the hood" nonsense. Takes too long for the ref to trot over, look at it and trot back. etc. Just have someone review it upstairs, or heck even the league office, and move on.

Stop reviewing every doggone play in the last 2:00 minutes. used to be last 2:00 were fast moving and exciting. No more. Now the last 2:00 is more like the last 2:00 of a basketball game.

Get rid of the two point conversion

If a defender gets a pick or fumble recovery on an extra point attempt and runs it back to his EZ, his team gets 2 points.

Get rid of false start by the defense. Go back to if a defender jumps offsides as long as he gets back before the snap and touches no offensive player, no penalty.

If a players makes a hit head first using this helmet as a weapon, he gets ejected and suspended for the next game.