Kevin Kolb

agardin

Thank you Swift. My point is not to be sarcastic (maybe a little) but to point out how our opinions turn with every game. I could find posts declaring how we should have traded for Kolb after one game, then when Vick starts and wins it's all about how we should have traded for Vick. Now we are back on the Kolb bandwagon.

I understand that's what fans do but it also strikes me how no one has any memory for what is posted the week before. Find any player who had a good game...just one good game...and he's someone we need to trade for, draft, or sign as a free agent. That is how we wound up with Rob Johnson. He cost the Bills a 1st and a 4th after he played one great game.

PTR

I hear you but in this case there would be at least 5-7 teams that would love to have Kolb, imo. Actually, that number is probably right for Vick as well. This isn't a case of dumb Bills fans who want to get a guy because he happened to have a good game today. That and the probability of one of the Eagles QBs being available next year make it plausible.

Edited by agardin

I hear you but in this case there would be at least 5-7 teams that would love to have Kolb, imo. Actually, that number is probably right for Vick as well. This isn't a case of dumb Bills fans who want to get a guy because he happened to have a good game today. That and the probability of one of the Eagles QBs being available next year make it plausible.

It's possible that Kevin Kolb could turn out to be Matt Schaub but why fight over him with 5-7 other teams and thus likely need to send a 1st round pick PLUS to Philly in order to successfully land him? We can use a 1st round pick much more wisely than taking the chance that he's another Rob Johnson rather than Schaub. Not to mention, if he's really worth a first rounder then why would Philly deal him? They need a franchise QB of the future just as much as the Bills. I don't think they're staking their future on Michael Vick--- Vick was only drafted 2 years after McNabb, FWIW.

Edited by Punch

Sarcastic or not, I think PTR makes an excellent point though. It is a bit early for us to want Kolb. We have seen him play only a small sample of games and it is this type of thinking that could get us a franchise QB or a Rob Johnson. If anything we should want Vick because he has proven that he can be on a winning team consistently. If Kolb plays the rest of the season well then we could consider him a safe bet.

Reid thought enough of him to trade mcnabb in the offseason. The fact that another coaching staff, which has had a lot of success in the past with qbs, thinks that highly of him means a lot.

Get rid of Kolb who is performing well and in whom they have invested so much? I don't think so. Vick is ready to start for someone...we have to make a decision whether we want to bid on him and move forward. He would buy us some time as we rebuild what used to be a defense and find a viable offensive line, at which point we can bring in our own franchise qb to replace him.

PTR, not that I have anything against you, but it seems like 99% of your posts are similar to this one. Sarcastic, "Im smarter than you", "youre going back on your word" now stuff. Not everybody said Kolb sucks, bust, yada yada yada. Your posts rarely contribute to anything. Why post at all just to post garbage like this? The people posting in this thread are likely not the ones saying Kolb sucks, If anyone even did.

Thank you Swift. My point is not to be sarcastic (maybe a little) but to point out how our opinions turn with every game. I could find posts declaring how we should have traded for Kolb after one game, then when Vick starts and wins it's all about how we should have traded for Vick. Now we are back on the Kolb bandwagon.

I understand that's what fans do but it also strikes me how no one has any memory for what is posted the week before. Find any player who had a good game...just one good game...and he's someone we need to trade for, draft, or sign as a free agent. That is how we wound up with Rob Johnson. He cost the Bills a 1st and a 4th after he played one great game.

Again though, unless you can quote somebody in particular who you know flip-flopped, why bother? There is a good chance those of us who like Kolb were not the same knee-jerk mouth-breathers in Philly and on ESPN thinking that Kolb was garbage after a bad half and Vick was a stud after two good games against Detroit & Jacksonville.

Houston's version of a "Rob Johnson signing" worked out pretty well for them btw. It's not like college QB's have a wealth of experience in the league. Those that do are usually only available because they're not good.

Edited by BuffOrange

PTR

As a reader (mostly) of this site, I also get tired of the rant du jur. Especially one that was just the opposite of last week (as PTR pointed out). I greatly enjoy his additions of sanity to the chaos that surrounds our team. Especially when it helps bring the thread back to being a discussion rather than just a series of crazy posts of people venting.

Honestly, we're all frustrated to one level or another, but I come here for discussions on football, specifically Bills football. Another post on how much smarter the poster is for wanting a different draft pick, or a different free agency signee, "our player(s) suck" or a "we should trade for Peyton" thread gets old and isn't much of a discussion on football.

I'm much more interested in thoughts on (for example) Fritz has proven to be capable but erratic, how can we further tailor our offense to his strengths or we've re-arranged our defense significantly to a 4-3 heavy or 4-2 scheme but are still giving up huge rushing yards how can we further tinker with it?

Again though, unless you can quote somebody in particular who you know flip-flopped, why bother? There is a good chance those of us who like Kolb were not the same knee-jerk mouth-breathers in Philly and on ESPN thinking that Kolb was garbage after a bad half and Vick was a stud after two good games against Detroit & Jacksonville.

Houston's version of a "Rob Johnson signing" worked out pretty well for them btw. It's not like college QB's have a wealth of experience in the league. Those that do are usually only available because they're not good.

I haven't watched Kolb enough to form a strong opinion on him, but Philly has devoted an awful lot of resources to him and all but anointed him the franchise QB after trading a good QB away. Even if he struggles a little the first year, I can't see the Eagles dumping him off in a trade. Especially not a quarter of the way through his first year at starter. So the very premise of the trade for Kolb argument is more than a little spacey. It feels a little to me like the we should trade for Peyton arguments... I generally agree with you that if they become available it's because they aren't any good.

Another post on how much smarter the poster is for wanting a different draft pick, or a different free agency signee, "our player(s) suck" or a "we should trade for Peyton" thread gets old and isn't much of a discussion on football.

I'm much more interested in thoughts on (for example) Fritz has proven to be capable but erratic, how can we further tailor our offense to his strengths or we've re-arranged our defense significantly to a 4-3 heavy or 4-2 scheme but are still giving up huge rushing yards how can we further tinker with it?

I haven't watched Kolb enough to form a strong opinion on him, but Philly has devoted an awful lot of resources to him and all but anointed him the franchise QB after trading a good QB away. Even if he struggles a little the first year, I can't see the Eagles dumping him off in a trade. Especially not a quarter of the way through his first year at starter. So the very premise of the trade for Kolb argument is more than a little spacey. It feels a little to me like the we should trade for Peyton arguments... I generally agree with you that if they become available it's because they aren't any good.

Obviously it is unlikely to happen. Trades in the NFL always are. Not sure it's in the Peyton pipe-dream category given that he's not their starter. And it's definitely not more unlikely than trying to figure out phantom ways we can be a winning team with the current roster if only we had better schemes. I don't see how stating our players aren't good enough is "trying to be smarter than another poster". The guy who always blames our coordinators and playcalling sort of is though, imo.

Edited by BuffOrange