New DiCesare article..

rpcolosi

Bob's dead on about all the bills draft pick misses. Couldn't possibly agree more that it is the reason this franchise is in flux. however, he is acting as though the war room has not changed, and that simply is not true.

the 2009 draft class now included Buddy Nix as national scout (no other changes)

the 2010 draft class now included Nix as GM and Gailey as HC, and subsequently will involve Doug Whaley and Darrell Moody and will no longer involve John Guy and Dick Jauron. This is not the same war room. I do have some issues with promoting the scouts within, though a scouts job is to compile data for the GM, Asst GM, HC and NS to evaluate and make draft decisions on. Perhaps the scouts do a poor job of compiling that data, or, more likely - the prior regime did a poor job at judging and picking off that data. I don't know where Modrak is in all of this, but it is hard for me to imagine the guy was successful in Pittsburgh and Philly and now suddenly sucks in Buffalo. maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just was in the right place at the right time with Cowher and Reid there, but I doubt it...

in the end- this is a new war room next year, with two main additions who come from successful organizations - Whaley and Moody. Winning comes from the top down and it can only help to have guys in the FO who have come from winning organizations. I expected the 09 and 10 drat classes to have more of a lasting impact then the entire 00 decade, outside of maybin of course. At least it seems we hit on our 2nd 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders in 09 and lets hope that CJ starts to shine like we all know he can now that Marshawn is gone. Troupe and Carrington might take a little more time to physically grow and be groomed into their positions, but David Nelson has been a huge addition.

In the end, everyone is just bashing the sh*t out of the bills FO. Well what did you expect after years of 7-9 crap? You need to gut the entire house before re-doing the foundation. We should be thankful Nix had the balls to do it. Does everyone think Polian came in here and it was suddenly a playoff team? um nope....

give it time and support the team - at the very least go to the games cause us guys in the service overseas cant... GO BILLS!

With Modrak, how does anyone know he is being managed the same way he was in Pittsburgh? Or that he hasn't always just had a shotgun blast approach and left it up to someone above him to comb though the details? If you really look at the years he has been here and the draft results, it is obvious that there is something very amiss. It isn't working and the Bills have drafted extremely poorly. A shake-up is long overdue. If for no other reason than to get some fresh perspectives and new energy in the building (not that Modrak is actual ever present). It would've been nice if Buddy had cleaned house during the off-season, but they are probably taking their time to evaluate everyone between naps.

With Modrak, how does anyone know he is being managed the same way he was in Pittsburgh? Or that he hasn't always just had a shotgun blast approach and left it up to someone above him to comb though the details? If you really look at the years he has been here and the draft results, it is obvious that there is something very amiss. It isn't working and the Bills have drafted extremely poorly. A shake-up is long overdue. If for no other reason than to get some fresh perspectives and new energy in the building (not that Modrak is actual ever present). It would've been nice if Buddy had cleaned house during the off-season, but they are probably taking their time to evaluate everyone between naps.

Keep in mind that it was Modrak who brought in Nix in the first place. If Nix didn't have tremendous respect for Modrak, he never would've come to Buffalo in the first place.

And as the OP pointed out, there' already been a shakeup.

Bob's dead on about all the bills draft pick misses. Couldn't possibly agree more that it is the reason this franchise is in flux. however, he is acting as though the war room has not changed, and that simply is not true.

the 2009 draft class now included Buddy Nix as national scout (no other changes)

the 2010 draft class now included Nix as GM and Gailey as HC, and subsequently will involve Doug Whaley and Darrell Moody and will no longer involve John Guy and Dick Jauron. This is not the same war room. I do have some issues with promoting the scouts within, though a scouts job is to compile data for the GM, Asst GM, HC and NS to evaluate and make draft decisions on. Perhaps the scouts do a poor job of compiling that data, or, more likely - the prior regime did a poor job at judging and picking off that data. I don't know where Modrak is in all of this, but it is hard for me to imagine the guy was successful in Pittsburgh and Philly and now suddenly sucks in Buffalo. maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just was in the right place at the right time with Cowher and Reid there, but I doubt it...

in the end- this is a new war room next year, with two main additions who come from successful organizations - Whaley and Moody. Winning comes from the top down and it can only help to have guys in the FO who have come from winning organizations. I expected the 09 and 10 drat classes to have more of a lasting impact then the entire 00 decade, outside of maybin of course. At least it seems we hit on our 2nd 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders in 09 and lets hope that CJ starts to shine like we all know he can now that Marshawn is gone. Troupe and Carrington might take a little more time to physically grow and be groomed into their positions, but David Nelson has been a huge addition.

In the end, everyone is just bashing the sh*t out of the bills FO. Well what did you expect after years of 7-9 crap? You need to gut the entire house before re-doing the foundation. We should be thankful Nix had the balls to do it. Does everyone think Polian came in here and it was suddenly a playoff team? um nope....

give it time and support the team - at the very least go to the games cause us guys in the service overseas cant... GO BILLS!

BS if andrew luck is there there will be no miss. for that matter Mallett or even locker will be just fine.

secondly blaming modrak only shows ignorance,he is head of collage scouting. he does not make the picks.

if anyone listened to thurman thomas monday,last year modrak wanted brian cushing in the first and that was his suggestion to DJ. DJ over ruled him and wanted Maybin cushing turned out to be DROY.

how it that Modrak's fault.

thurman also said Modrak is very highly thought of in the NFL and he got that right from the mouth of none other than Bill Polian.

the whitner and lynch picks were also the picks of DJ and Levy. Modrak desperately wanted to draft Nagta and was over ruled again by DJ .

to blame the scouts (modrak) for the picks is asinine. they can only tell you who the good players are they cannot make their bosses not pick need players over the best available players on the board. get a freaking clue.

Keep in mind that it was Modrak who brought in Nix in the first place. If Nix didn't have tremendous respect for Modrak, he never would've come to Buffalo in the first place.

Sorry but that sort of rings like the posters that guaranteed Gailey would make this team better than 6-10 this year.

I meant "shakeup" in the sense of a reorganization and overhaul of the scouting department. Yes, it's nice to add a couple new faces, but the people that were already entrenched in their teflon foxholes are still there. Now maybe Moody and Whaley are going to come in with guns blazing and fix the process and faulty evaluations that have been coming in. Maybe not.

I hope you are right, because the alternative means that the eventual re-build will be more years away.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Huh? When did hey work together before, that Modrak was familiar with Nix? FWIW, Dwight Adams had less than tremendous respect for Modrak, and he and Nix go further back.

:lol:

I have no faith in the current scouts after Cornell Green...or the GM for the Kelsay deal

Not to mention that everyone still breathing was openly stating in the off season the Bills needed to upgrade the O line-QB-WR-OLB, and yet they draft a RB. While I don't disapprove of the Spiller pick, I just don't get why none of the other areas didn't get addressed early in the draft or fee agency

Just for information..Polian was promoted in Dec. 1985 and the Bills record was 4-12 in 1986 with Jim Kelly at QB.

While it may be hard for this group to win 4 games they do not have Kelly and Bruce Smith.

Take a look at Polian's Wikipedia Bills section (sound familiar?)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Polian

This quote stood out as relevant to today: "We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL."

I am not saying Nix=Polian I am saying he deserves some time

BS if andrew luck is there there will be no miss. for that matter Mallett or even locker will be just fine.

secondly blaming modrak only shows ignorance,he is head of collage scouting. he does not make the picks.

if anyone listened to thurman thomas monday,last year modrak wanted brian cushing in the first and that was his suggestion to DJ. DJ over ruled him and wanted Maybin cushing turned out to be DROY.

how it that Modrak's fault.

thurman also said Modrak is very highly thought of in the NFL and he got that right from the mouth of none other than Bill Polian.

the whitner and lynch picks were also the picks of DJ and Levy. Modrak desperately wanted to draft Nagta and was over ruled again by DJ .

to blame the scouts (modrak) for the picks is asinine. they can only tell you who the good players are they cannot make their bosses not pick need players over the best available players on the board. get a freaking clue.

Great stuff and hope its true but where did you get this information