Bills Fans Don't Want a QB

Every day I see people in the shout box talking about how badly they hope the Bills DO NOT draft a QB this year.

Here are some actual arguments I see against drafting a QB:

I don't want to pay a rookie QB that kind of money.

Well, a number one overall left tackle is going to command the exact same money. So is anyone else you draft number one, the salary is dictated by the draft order not the fact that you play QB.

A QB might bust.

So might any other positions. Top OL prospects bust all the time - we've seen it firsthand.

If a rookie QB busts it ruins your franchise for years.

They franchise is already ruined. Once you are the literal worst, there is no where else to go. Also, the Chargers busted on Leaf in a big way and it didn't take them very long to part ways and get back on track.

Top rookie QBs always bust.

The top two QBs taken for the last three years are Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow. Sometimes you get Jamarcus Russell, and sometimes you get Peyton Manning. That's life. The same thing is true for any position - you draft a tackle you could get another Mike Williams.

You can just get a QB in free agency.

You can look at 2011 free agents here - http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Orton is a longshot to hit the free agent market. Hasselbeck has some chance of hitting the market, and is way past his prime. We could probably realistically bring in Alex Smith, and that's it.

You don't need a good QB to win.

Just look around the league at the teams that are good year in and year out - they have good QBs. Look at the cellar dwellars, they are on a constant search to find their next franchise QB and return to glory. The rare exceptions like the Super Bowl Ravens and Bucs are just that, exceptions and not the rule. If the Bills had an elite defense right now then maybe a veteran FA would make at least some small sense, but the Bills aren't good anywhere. Their only hope of being a contender again is to hit on a stud QB in the draft.

It is absolutely mind boggling.

I think there are two main reasons for this:

- A lack of understanding of the NFL.

- A desire to lose.

The former is easy to understand, the latter a bit trickier. I think many Bills fan relish their Lovable Loser identity, and secretly want to preserve it. They love to hate One Bills Drive, they love to play the role of the futile but loyal fan. In most cases I think it's a mixture of both reasons.

Realize that if you want the early 90s again, you need a Jim Kelly to lead the troops. The draft is our best and really only shot at that, so embrace 0-16 and pray Andrew Luck comes out.

So...of the 5% that say we don't need a QB, you dedicate the time to this? Preaching to the choir, and it is a long, tired sermon.

Well, the Packers organization said that, after seeing him on the field, he wasn't worth a practice squad spot.

Our organization didn't think he could beat out a guy that they ended up cutting after 2 games. Not exactly glowing endorsements of his potential from people who make their living evaluating NFL talent.

I agree, the Packers viewed a 7th round pick (Mayy Flynn) in that same 2008 draft as a more viable option for the 2nd team QB spot which damages Brohm's credibility (he admittedly struggled mightily in his first training camp). However, Green Bay only carried 2 QBs on their roster for awhile due to injuries at other positions, and Brohm was actually on the practice squad. They offered to add him to the active roster as the 3rd QB when the Bills came calling last year. This has all been said before, and all it means is that to this point his career has been disappointing since he was highly regarded at Lousiville from 2007-08. He's got one final shot this year to prove it, I think.

So...of the 5% that say we don't need a QB, you dedicate the time to this? Preaching to the choir, and it is a long, tired sermon.

I enjoyed it, to be honest.

The more of the clueless 5% that we get converted, the more fun the outrage will be when we draft Mark Ingram #1 now that we need an every-down running back.

This has all been said before, and all it means is that to this point his career has been disappointing since he was highly regarded at Lousiville from 2007-08. He's got one final shot this year to prove it, I think.

Agreed. I'm fine with letting him play. It won't matter - he is what he is. We still need to roll the dice and try to find our next leader.

Obviously an upgrade at QB is one of the MANY things that this team currently needs. If there is a "can't miss" prospect sitting there in April, then the Bills have to strongly consider drafting him. The flip side of the coin is that, until this OL gets fixed, I am not sure I want to see a young QB playing the role of a sitting duck. (That IMHO is one reason why Chan has held back on plugging Brohm in at QB at this time.)

Well I do want a QB, but he may not necessarily be there this year. IMO, the Bills have 2-3 drafts (at least) where they will compete for the top overall pick.

Say they get the second pick, Luck doesnt enter, Mallett goes 1st overall, and the Bills arent that high on Locker. However, the class of 2012 and 2013 look promising... You go for the trenches.

I like the DE from Iowa Clayborn. Monster who will almost single-handedly make our defense credible.

So Trent Dilfer, and Kerry Collins never played in a superbowl? Brad Johnson never won one,Chris Chandler never went to the Super Bowl? Etc,Etc,Etc. You don't need a great QB to win in the NFL, it's not easy to do, but it's doable.

I dont want them drafting a QB just to draft a QB either.

They need to draft the right QB... drafting one just for the sake of drafting one would net another JP Losman. If Andrew Luck does not declare this year and the Bills felt they would go "all in" to acquire him in 2012, I wouldn't mind them taking one later in 2011. Not to be the franchise guy of the future but simply to have guys to evaluate. I really don't think Locker and Mallett are the guys.