Bills Fans Don't Want a QB

Every day I see people in the shout box talking about how badly they hope the Bills DO NOT draft a QB this year.

Here are some actual arguments I see against drafting a QB:

I don't want to pay a rookie QB that kind of money.

Well, a number one overall left tackle is going to command the exact same money. So is anyone else you draft number one, the salary is dictated by the draft order not the fact that you play QB.

A QB might bust.

So might any other positions. Top OL prospects bust all the time - we've seen it firsthand.

If a rookie QB busts it ruins your franchise for years.

They franchise is already ruined. Once you are the literal worst, there is no where else to go. Also, the Chargers busted on Leaf in a big way and it didn't take them very long to part ways and get back on track.

Top rookie QBs always bust.

The top two QBs taken for the last three years are Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow. Sometimes you get Jamarcus Russell, and sometimes you get Peyton Manning. That's life. The same thing is true for any position - you draft a tackle you could get another Mike Williams.

You can just get a QB in free agency.

You can look at 2011 free agents here - http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Orton is a longshot to hit the free agent market. Hasselbeck has some chance of hitting the market, and is way past his prime. We could probably realistically bring in Alex Smith, and that's it.

You don't need a good QB to win.

Just look around the league at the teams that are good year in and year out - they have good QBs. Look at the cellar dwellars, they are on a constant search to find their next franchise QB and return to glory. The rare exceptions like the Super Bowl Ravens and Bucs are just that, exceptions and not the rule. If the Bills had an elite defense right now then maybe a veteran FA would make at least some small sense, but the Bills aren't good anywhere. Their only hope of being a contender again is to hit on a stud QB in the draft.

It is absolutely mind boggling.

I think there are two main reasons for this:

- A lack of understanding of the NFL.

- A desire to lose.

The former is easy to understand, the latter a bit trickier. I think many Bills fan relish their Lovable Loser identity, and secretly want to preserve it. They love to hate One Bills Drive, they love to play the role of the futile but loyal fan. In most cases I think it's a mixture of both reasons.

Realize that if you want the early 90s again, you need a Jim Kelly to lead the troops. The draft is our best and really only shot at that, so embrace 0-16 and pray Andrew Luck comes out.

Edited by NaPolian8693

I keep watching this team every Sunday, year after year. Every once in a while I think, "why bother"? But i can't shake the habit of watching and loving the Bills. If they DO NOT draft a QB in round 1 of the 2011 draft, I will stop watching. They need to take a chance on a QB...period. Do what you gotta do to get Mallett in here.

Can I take "Another Point OF view"

I am all for a new quarterback but you can't bypass the process.

Brian Brohm was a better prospect then any of the Class of 2011 Quarterbacks.

He was projected by some as the #1 selection in the draft.

YOU ARE TALIKING ABOUT COMMENTS MADE IN THE LAST FEW DAYS and the fans are bored.

Eliminate BROHM and I am with you..........and don't give me any garbage about what he did or didn't do in Green Bay, its has no meaning here! Different team,different coaches,different situation.

Edited by Another Point of View

YOU ARE TALIKING ABOUT COMMENTS MADE IN THE LAST FEW DAYS and the fans are bored.

Eliminate BROHM and I am with you..........and don't give me any garbage about what he did or didn't do in Green Bay, its has no meaning here! Different team,different coaches,different situation.

i bill-ieve we'll get a chance to see/evaluate Brohm in the weeks coming after the Bye. And I wouldnt be surprised if Brown started the last 3-4 games either.

Every day I see people in the shout box talking about how badly they hope the Bills DO NOT draft a QB this year.

I don't want to pay a rookie QB that kind of money.

Well, a number one overall left tackle is going to command the exact same money. So is anyone else you draft number one, the salary is dictated by the draft order not the fact that you play QB.

A QB might bust.

So might any other positions. Top OL prospects bust all the time - we've seen it firsthand.

If a rookie QB busts it ruins your franchise for years.

They franchise is already ruined. Once you are the literal worst, there is no where else to go. Also, the Chargers busted on Leaf in a big way and it didn't take them very long to part ways and get back on track.

Look, until they have an OL no QB will be any good. Better to draft O and D lines and let Fitz or BB QB next season. If we draft a QB, he will be killed, learn nothing and have the same probelms we have now. We have 3 quality RBs and they all suck this year bc we have not line to block. Got to build with the foundation first. You don't build a house from the roof down. Be smart!

Top rookie QBs always bust.

The top two QBs taken for the last three years are Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow. Sometimes you get Jamarcus Russell, and sometimes you get Peyton Manning. That's life. The same thing is true for any position - you draft a tackle you could get another Mike Williams.

You can just get a QB in free agency.

You can look at 2011 free agents here - http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Orton is a longshot to hit the free agent market. Hasselbeck has some chance of hitting the market, and is way past his prime. We could probably realistically bring in Alex Smith, and that's it.

You don't need a good QB to win.

Just look around the league at the teams that are good year in and year out - they have good QBs. Look at the cellar dwellars, they are on a constant search to find their next franchise QB and return to glory. The rare exceptions like the Super Bowl Ravens and Bucs are just that, exceptions and not the rule. If the Bills had an elite defense right now then maybe a veteran FA would make at least some small sense, but the Bills aren't good anywhere. Their only hope of being a contender again is to hit on a stud QB in the draft.

It is absolutely mind boggling.

I think there are two main reasons for this:

- A lack of understanding of the NFL.

- A desire to lose.

The former is easy to understand, the latter a bit trickier. I think many Bills fan relish their Lovable Loser identity, and secretly want to preserve it. They love to hate One Bills Drive, they love to play the role of the futile but loyal fan. In most cases I think it's a mixture of both reasons.

Realize that if you want the early 90s again, you need a Jim Kelly to lead the troops. The draft is our best and really only shot at that, so embrace 0-16 and pray Andrew Luck comes out.

I'm definitely interested in seeing Brohm get a few consecutive starts under his belt--- it's not crazy to think he might actually be, you know, good and all. But, what's funny is that although he was projected to be the best QB coming out in 2007 (had he done so), in retrospect it's not saying a whole lot when looking at the rest of the '07 class: Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Trent Edwards... what a weird year for QBs.

Still, bring on Brohm, already.

Did you make this up?

Please cite a source that even vaguely corroborates this wild speculation.

I think what he's referring to is that Brian Brohm, at one point, was projected as the first overall pick for the 2007 draft, although he did not come out. Right now, Luck is not the consensus 1st overall pick (although he very well may be when he declares). What he's saying is not exactly correct but the idea that Brohm was a hyped prospect while in college is true enough and adds some credence that it's a worthwhile notion to see what he can do on the field.

Well, Brohm wasn't even the #1 quarterback in his draft class for one, and for two, he has had time on the field to showcase himself. He's been in 3 training camps and a host of pre-season games and has seen plenty of action on the field. Reviews haven't been glowing, if you consider the fact that he was like, cut and stuff, and couldn't beat out a Bills quarterback that was so bad that he got cut too.

I'm all for seeing Brohm play to evaluate whether he is even worthy of a backup job, but let's not smoke the Brian-Brohm-Is-A-Franchise-QB crack pipe.

Well, Brohm wasn't even the #1 quarterback in his draft class for one, and for two, he has had time on the field to showcase himself. He's been in 3 training camps and a host of pre-season games and has seen plenty of action on the field. Reviews haven't been glowing, if you consider the fact that he was like, cut and stuff, and couldn't beat out a Bills quarterback that was so bad that he got cut too.

I'm all for seeing Brohm play to evaluate whether he is even worthy of a backup job, but let's not smoke the Brian-Brohm-Is-A-Franchise-QB crack pipe.

Yeah, his stock shot way down after he struggled his senior year. The Lousiville D was awful and he forced a lot of throws which scared off the "experts". It's strange how he and Jake Locker were criticized for not coming out early (subsequently watching their draft positions drop dramatically) while Jevon Snead's pro career is essentially caput because he came out early. There's no way to really know other than getting these guys on the field in live NFL action.

I don't think anyone can say what Brohm is one way or another, yet, but his potential was viewed as high as anyone over the past several years. Hopefully we'll find out.

You forgot one:

• The QB would have to complete a lot of passes to a questionable group of receivers behind a bad line in order to compensate for the Bills' porous defense.

do you mean the guys coming out in the next draft??

bc if you meant the last draft, sam bradford is 100 times better than brohm.

I don't think anyone can say what Brohm is one way or another, yet, but his potential was viewed as high as anyone over the past several years. Hopefully we'll find out.

Well, the Packers organization said that, after seeing him on the field, he wasn't worth a practice squad spot.

Our organization didn't think he could beat out a guy that they ended up cutting after 2 games. Not exactly glowing endorsements of his potential from people who make their living evaluating NFL talent.